39 coaches online • Server time: 12:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Good idea?
Yes, that would make everything cooler
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
No, you're overlooking something, and I'll explain in-thread
43%
 43%  [ 21 ]
No, I'm only happy when I cause permanent injury to someone else's team, and this reduces the permanence of the virtual pain I can inflict
43%
 43%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 48

Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

What about another Kickstarter to help fund the new server? Potions and Sponges could be part of that.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Cavetroll wrote:
What about another Kickstarter to help fund the new server? Potions and Sponges could be part of that.

Custom FUMBBL miniatures!

Besides that, yeah, that's an horrible idea. I jumped directly from the 3rd edition to CRP, and the thing that surprised me the most was how BB had become pixel-huggers friendly with the removal of ageing. Don't make it worse with custom rules like selling potions.

I mean, yeah, injuries suck, and I have half a dozen of great players who could use a potion. But on the other hand, I'm glad when my opponent's ST5 AG5 War Dancer gets a niggle...

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

no

in a fire

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I am GROOT!

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

For me, the biggest and worst change in BB history was when the 3rd edition [AV roll, injury roll] became [AV roll, injury roll, Cas roll]. Because of filthy pixel-huggers (although that was back when there weren't really any pixels. So lead-huggers, I guess?). Anyway, this would be almost as bad. Agility teams are supposed to get hurt. You can't spell fragile without agile...

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 02:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Azure wrote:

Anyway, that is just my point of view.

No problem, and I'm very glad to see it articulated, as opposed to negative responses that don't explain why they're opposed. It's possible the reasons are obvious to them; clearly I'm not keeping up. Wink

Quote:

The issue is that something like this will be abused very quickly by certain people. To give you a thumbnail rundown:

1. Make a Dark Elf team.
2. Keep TV low and accumulate lots of gold.
3. Build up team - use potions to prevent player loss.
4. Power level of team would be high enough to be heavy favorite in any tournament.

The thing is - people already try to do this with Dark Elf teams - cherrypicking really really hard to put an awesome team together. What you are suggesting makes it sooo much easier and people are going to be able to put together superstar teams that are unstoppable by normal teams.

Case Study: Pimped DE Team
Notice that this team has already consumed 2 potions. Just imagine if they did not have to retire their 2 witch elves and had no injuries on the team. Everyone who wants to be competitive would end up playing teams like this - it would make tournaments very dull personally as some teams would have even less chance than they do now.

It's possible I'm just not comprehending your example. I certainly recognize that I'm thoroughly inexperienced compared to many here, hence why I'm grateful to see someone articulate their thoughts.

But if potions would cost, say, 150k or 200k, I'm not certain it's as easy to accomplish, especially on expensive teams like elves, where replacing a position can take 3-4 games, you'd effectively double that # of games just to get a heal.

xnoelx wrote:

Agility teams are supposed to get hurt. You can't spell fragile without agile...

And they still will. AV7 doesn't change. RIP doesn't change.

I see a lot of poorly explained resistance to the idea. Maybe that's largely all I'll get, but any charity towards my piddly intellect to help me understand would be met with gratitude.

I'd like to see coaches who keep scorning pixelhugging fire every player when they hit 6SPP. If you don't, you're a hypocrite. ;p
(Prove me wrong Wink )
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Sionis wrote:
If that idea ever flew, I'd say the price is a money donation of x-dollars to Fumbbl.

Pay per play FUMBBL makes Grod Sad

That is not pay per play. That is making a donation.

It is probably less hassle than packing and posting dice.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Village_Idiot wrote:

I see a lot of poorly explained resistance to the idea. Maybe that's largely all I'll get, but any charity towards my piddly intellect to help me understand would be met with gratitude.

It's pretty simple really. The kind of players that you would be most likely to use your potions on are exactly kind of players that people would like to see remain dead/maimed. Twisted Evil

Village_Idiot wrote:

I'd like to see coaches who keep scorning pixelhugging fire every player when they hit 6SPP. If you don't, you're a hypocrite. ;p
(Prove me wrong Wink )

Is this kind of post how you got your user name?

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

It's pretty simple really. The kind of players that you would be most likely to use your potions on are exactly kind of players that people would like to see remain dead/maimed. Twisted Evil

And the "dead" part wouldn't change. The maimed would if you'd feel like making the investment.

Quote:

Is this kind of post how you got your user name?

Probably.
But I do feel I have a point: for all the accusations of 'pixelhugging', it seems that close to 100% of all players on FUMBBL enjoy growing their teams' skills and stats. And I'm only hedging that sentence because there's probably an exception out there who does fire at 6SPP.
So, given that fact, why not make it an option for players to keep their teams in their desired configuration longer, or to hang on to the peculiar stats and skill combos that emerge over time?

Azure makes a case about abuse, a case I don't yet fully follow, but those are definitely legitimate, sensible concerns. Maybe I'll change my position when I understand his point.

Accusations of pixelhugging as a reason to reject the idea are flat out illogical. We clearly all want to hang on to certain players.
Reversing their argument, we should get rid of touchdowns, since it should be all about the amount of CAS you rack up. The game name has 2 components, and only the 'bowl' component allows you to win a match. Yet some claim it's the blood component that should rule uber alles.

That said, kill all menz, especially Cavetroll's.
AaronDP83

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Dude heres the thing. I have multiple teams right now with over 500k in cash. There are players on ALL of those team who could use a potion. I would be buying potions left and right! Thats where the problem is.
Village_Idiot

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

AaronDP83 wrote:
Dude heres the thing. I have multiple teams right now with over 500k in cash. There are players on ALL of those team who could use a potion. I would be buying potions left and right! Thats where the problem is.

Why is that a problem? That's an example of what I'm after, if anything.

Your team's TV will be actually what it's worth, so if I match up against you, I'll be getting an "even" fight, rather one where I have a bonus for every stats busted player you have.
Meanwhile, you get to play with players you enjoy gaming with.
And if you like them stat busted, you don't buy a potion.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Never going to happen. Special items are for special events, not some thing you can buy when you farm enough. Case closed.
AaronDP83

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

dude i play humans. They are hard enough to play with already. Try em out and see how you do. And even with busted stats, if its MA or AG or even AV, its not that big a deal depending on the player. But its Blood bowl after all dude. Shit happens. Players die or get hurt. Retire him or keep him til hes dead and move on. sounds like you are the pixel hugger here
Village_Idiot

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 03:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
Never going to happen. Special items are for special events, not some thing you can buy when you farm enough. Case closed.

And the special items/rewards would remain such. Not sure where the confusion is, maybe this well help.

There's 2 objects.
1. Potion. As is.
2. Little VI potion. The object at discussion.

Item 1 >>> item 2.
Since the function of item 2 shouldn't exceed what item 1 can do, item 1 should be buffed to keep it superbonus deluxe.

AaronDP wrote:

They are hard enough to play with already. Try em out and see how you do.

I do absolutely horrible.

Quote:

And even with busted stats, if its MA or AG or even AV, its not that big a deal depending on the player.

Then you don't buy a potion.

Quote:

sounds like you are the pixel hugger here

Absolutely I am.
But so are we all. The degrees do differ.
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Rather than potions I'd like to be able to hire a poisoner to target other people's teams. Buy a roll on the injury table. Random player, random injury.

Join the Human League Premiership!
 Jump to: