38 coaches online • Server time: 13:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Good idea?
Yes, that would make everything cooler
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
No, you're overlooking something, and I'll explain in-thread
43%
 43%  [ 21 ]
No, I'm only happy when I cause permanent injury to someone else's team, and this reduces the permanence of the virtual pain I can inflict
43%
 43%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 48

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
Never going to happen. Special items are for special events, not some thing you can buy when you farm enough. Case closed.

/thread.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 10:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

This is a simply terrible idea, as has been explained several times, in several ways. But it seems the OP doesn't intend to listen.

So I'll have a go:

It will ruin FUMBBL: Any change from official B rules drives people away. People come here to play BB, not pixelhugathon.

It will ruin BB: One of the key draws of BB is that it takes time and effort to build a team, the easier you make it, the LESS people will care about doing it.

It will make legends worthless: If anyone can easily get a great player, your great player becomes unspecial.

It will reduce death: If potions can solve other problems, people will save apoths for death.

It will alter balance: the game is designed for a certain level of player turnover, changing any one aspect of that equation changes all others and throws the balance up in the air.

Your assumptions are wrong: Not everyone cares about their pixels, nor plays BB for the team building.

It childish to want it: I blame God Mode for teaching kids that its OK to 'never lose' Well, grow up, true dramatic tension comes for consequence. As others have said, poker for matchsticks is a non event game, you have to play for cash to make the game worth playing. there has to be STAKES.

It will help those least in need: the rich teams are the ones abusing loopholes and certain races like undead.

It will alter how people game, for the worse: the teams that could really use this (and abuse this) will run low TV teams, retiring any player with skills, to build a huge cash pile to use on potions, then 'go big' and be able to stay there, rendering all tournaments and competitions on the site meaningless.

It removes personality: Big teams sometimes have to carry injuries on one, or multiple, players. This is one of the few ways of having something different and fluffy, people like fluffy.

It lowers emotional engagement: Right now people agonise about whether to keep a key player who is useful but injured. This is good, this is emotional engagement with the game. You want to replace this with a 'make it better mummy' button.

it can't be done for real money: Any sniff that FUMBBL makes money and GW will shut it straight down.

And dude, that me at 8:30 am while making the kids breakfast and not thinking hard. give me time and I'll find you 20 more reasons.

But kudos to you, every few years someone comes along with an idea so terrible it unites everyone. Against it. So thanks for the community building work.

But are you actually serious? or playing the 'trolling game', as you seem to not accept any view put forward against you, and just blithely continue to talk up an idea EVERYONE thinks is horrible.

Have you considered you might be happier playing 'The Sims'?

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Yes we do. But generally speaking I think that people here would prefer it if those players can be killed/maimed.

Killing remains unaffected.

Quote:

"We should get rid of touchdowns"? Come on dude you can do better than that.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Wink
But I'm trying to follow the logic of some, and I'm having a hard time with it.

Quote:

If you need some support go and call VoodooMike over to back you up. Wink

That reference went over my head, sorry...

Quote:

Your idea is fine as a house rule in a closed league but gbut I don't really see why the rest of us should be interested.

That's fair, but I do not yet grasp the objections to the idea.
Not that anyone's under an obligation to make me understand.

espionage wrote:

The Main point of the OP is to make potions more available because the most fun part of the game is the team building part. I agree the team building part is a huge part of this game, and the fun involved. I think by making team building easy though, it would take so much of the fun away. Yay! I just got a legend, oh everybody else has one or more of them too. My 80 game player isn't special? Oh, that's not fun.

Excellent point. Maybe a lot of people tried to express this, but I didn't get it.
Regardless, pretty solid reasoning against the idea, thanks for explaining it.

grod wrote:

My point is about stakes and poker - surely team building is satisfying precisely because it is hard, Surely that in game decision to risk it all with your best player is exciting largely BECAUSE he might suffer? It spoils the thrill surely if you can just reset anything bad at the end if the game?

Now I follow. Thanks.

Azure wrote:

The disconnect here is that you may not have seen how some people cherrypick so hard in ranked that they pile up tons of gold.

Here is perhaps a better example of what we would like to avoid.

This is another DE team - but the treasury is 1.49 million....so 7-10 potions?

Look at how pimped out the team is already - then use potions to heal the wounded stat freaks (and the ones retired) and the team is just all kinds of silly.

You are coming from the perspective that it is hard to build up gold. Frankly this is a GOOD thing. It means you are not cherrypicking like crazy to build up wads of cash. Unfortunately - not everyone is like that.

And now I grasp your point also. Thanks for taking the time to expand.

Purplechest wrote:

*much rampant disparaging*

You're the coolest forum poster I've ever met. I'll be sure to run any future posts by you so you can approve them.

This may be a difficult concept to grasp for someone who's clearly as advanced as you: things that seem obvious to you may not be obvious to others. And that doesn't automatically mean they deserve your scorn, nor that they're trolling.

Feel free to ignore my every post if they irritate you that much. I'll get over it.

Could we get someone to close this board? Clearly new ideas are best avoided all together, because sometimes they might suck.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

buuface wrote:
much rather see the implementation of other card decks as inducements

Yes. This times 1000.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2014 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Woodstock wrote:
Never going to happen. Special items are for special events, not some thing you can buy when you farm enough. Case closed.

/thread.

Agreed.