57 coaches online • Server time: 18:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I am a cheapskate...

I was wondering if anybody has a link to a site that has freeware graphics software... I have downloaded various 30 day trial versions of Photoshop et al, but would like a permanent product thats free..

I need it to do banner headings and basic graphics for my teams and fumbbl league... nothing flash, just good simple graphics creating / editing

Thanks in advance,
Clay
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2444

Free and just as good (if not better) as Photoshop.

-Mnemon
Tribble_the_Unclean

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The Gimp is a great product for being a free, open source project, but I don't necessarily think I'd call it better than Photoshop when you get down to the core functions of the program. Maybe it's my familiarity with Photoshop taking over, but the interface seems quite a bit more intuitive. The Gimp seems quite cluttered; it's hard to find the exact thing you're looking for, and when you do find it, it doesn't perform the way you'd like it. Also, many image manipulation functions (filters) take quite a bit more time to process through the Gimp than they do on Photoshop.

Granted, I use Gimp on my home systems due to the cost issues, but if cost were not an issue, I'd use photoshop.
Colin

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't do 16-bit/channel colour and most of the many extra plug-ins are for the Linux version, but it comes bundled with all the important ones and is safely good enough for the tasks above.

Here's one more for good measure: Pixia - http://park18.wakwak.com/~pixia/index.html

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Mac users can get Graphic Converter for thirty bucks. A steal at twice the price and the product of a single, incredibly dedicated independent developer. I use it along with Photoshop because it handles a few esoteric formats that even Photoshop can't.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are doing web graphics (not professional print needing CMYK) then Photoshop Elements has almost all the features of Photoshop and, although it's not free, at around SRP $99 it is much more affordable than Photoshop.
peikko

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 07:25 Reply with quote Back to top

With version 2 Gimp has taken big leap forward and it definetly is nowadays maybe even better for less experienced users for small tasks. And that combined with the fact its open source makes it definetly worth checking for. Maybe someday someone will learn his Script-Fu (Im not making that name up!) and makes plugins for Gimp that convert selected pics to team logo/player potrait/player icon.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 09:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Erm if you need serials to register programs, try doing a google search for a program called "serials 2000", else look for another program called Oscar. (Disclaimer: i'm not saying I use such illegal means of getting around copyright of software...)

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: