42 coaches online • Server time: 18:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kharon

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

---- oh look, a FAQ! --- click ------

Q: Where can I download the rules for the game?
A: You can download the rules here

The "rules" link leads to GW's site, and there is nothing BB-related to be found.

Just sayin'.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Change it to thenaf.net, i would. In fact, i probably will later. People just need to make the changes that they think are needed, it's just the front page that needs a bigger Start Here button.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

"Click here"- button that diercts to an ongoing game as a spectator perhaps?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Woodstock wrote:
There is a 2014 guide; https://fumbbl.com/help:CRP

Great guide but still the same problem that both gamefinder and blackbox activation has changed since then.

I am not in any way clingy toward that guide; things have changed since I wrote it, and we're all often too busy playing and too close to FUMBBL to get around to updating the help for new coaches. I believe someone has tweaked it as time has gone on, actually. Please someone update it if they have time, I might myself tomorrow if not beaten to it.

Personally, whenever this sort of thing comes up, I try and view FUMBBL with a fresh pair of eyes, and I always come to the conclusion that if someone were interested, they would read the front page and follow the simple link to that guide. Whilst it is slightly out of date now, it's not a million miles away from reality. Perhaps on the generic 'this is your password' e-mail it could be linked, and someone spend half an hour modernising it, but I really don't think the status quo is really that bad. Considering the user guide is a Wiki, it could be a lot worse. When my badgering works and I get new people to sign up, they occasionally have questions the UG can't answer, but on the whole, it seems to go well (the how to join a tournament section is currently not that great, as it goes. Again, just age). Perhaps that's just being too close to it.

Historically, especially since the C&D, we have not been allowed to link the rules or any other copyrighted material. Some helpful soul may have put that link in, but I would be hesitant to update it. It should probably just be text explaining what the rules are called, inviting the reader to Google. The links section is OK anyway (so you could get there with two or three clicks), with the exception of listing TFF as a great resource. I think you'd get more sensible conversation on the Jeremy Kyle show.

At the end if the day; it is a Wiki, the user guide. If you want it changed, please do it (it's past time we had an updating drive). That guide link could be bigger if you want a big button. The front page is the big man's lookout. Wink
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The wording on the front page could also be changed to something like "To get started, take a look at the User Guide.".

Might only be me, but if a sentence starts with "If you need help..." I usually think "No, thanks - I'll figure it out myself." - which in case of FUMBBL would indeed be a little bit difficult, if you not check out that guide. Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I will sort it out. The user guide is very out if date.

Thanks for pointing out that you found it tricky toyspiral.

To the rude people in this thread, that wasn't very helpful. If a newcomer finds it tough to find information then something is wrong.it may seem obvious to us but we know how everything works and where everything is.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
The wording on the front page could also be changed to something like "To get started, take a look at the User Guide.".

Might only be me, but if a sentence starts with "If you need help..." I usually think "No, thanks - I'll figure it out myself." - which in case of FUMBBL would indeed be a little bit difficult, if you not check out that guide. Wink

Ill poke Christer and see if I can get that line changed.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2014 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Updated the help file a bit, but didn't know enough about the Gamefinder to say whether it is currently up to date. But yeah, a big button staying Start Here on the homepage would be a big step forward.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2014 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Kharon wrote:
pythrr wrote:

The "rules" link leads to GW's site, and there is nothing BB-related to be found.

Just sayin'.

Also fixed.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Good job Sann

Jeffro
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be great if you were linked to the new coaches start guide when you first create a user account. And also if that could be auto-sent to you in a welcome pm too.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
Kharon wrote:
pythrr wrote:

Just sayin'.

Also fixed.

Again, we are not allowed to link to the rules. Linking to a page where there is a big, direct 'download the rules' button is surely no different. The path needs to be more torturous than that.

If people are to help, help. It's tidied up for now such that we don't get shut down.
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

a link to something like this would help people get into irc and then they can ask for help:

http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=e6da47eed448ebfcd0845e16c4267e12&server=irc.fumbbl.com&channel=%23fumbbl

we use one to help people in SWL
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 10:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
sann0638 wrote:
Kharon wrote:
pythrr wrote:

Just sayin'.

Also fixed.

Again, we are not allowed to link to the rules. Linking to a page where there is a big, direct 'download the rules' button is surely no different. The path needs to be more torturous than that.

If people are to help, help. It's tidied up for now such that we don't get shut down.

I think you are incorrect here purplegoo.
My understanding of GW IP protection is that it is forbidden to host their rules or link directly to the rules. However they can't do anything about a site linking to another site that's hosting the rules. This could only get The NAF in trouble not fumbbl.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Linking to a "Links" page where a fair few of the Links are broken doesn't seem like an improvement. Tidied up lots of the broken links.

The main Blackbox bit needs updating too, but would ideally have some pictures. How do you put a picture on to Fumbbl and then link to it?

Jump to: