24 coaches online • Server time: 05:35
Index Search Usergroups Profile
Log in
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Welcome Newcomers - ...goto Post Is kicking first wit...goto Post Ghoul development
SearchSearch 
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah



Joined: Mar 30, 2005

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
Linking to a "Links" page where a fair few of the Links are broken doesn't seem like an improvement. Tidied up lots of the broken links.

The main Blackbox bit needs updating too, but would ideally have some pictures. How do you put a picture on to Fumbbl and then link to it?


Load images into your Gallery page. Home | Gallery.

_________________
Image
Secret League - SLUMBBL Shield - 16th November!
Purplegoo



Joined: Mar 23, 2006

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:
sann0638 wrote:
Kharon wrote:
pythrr wrote:

---- oh look, a FAQ! --- click ------

Q: Where can I download the rules for the game?
A: You can download the rules here


The "rules" link leads to GW's site, and there is nothing BB-related to be found.

Just sayin'.


Also fixed.


Again, we are not allowed to link to the rules. Linking to a page where there is a big, direct 'download the rules' button is surely no different. The path needs to be more torturous than that.

If people are to help, help. It's tidied up for now such that we don't get shut down.


I think you are incorrect here purplegoo.
My understanding of GW IP protection is that it is forbidden to host their rules or link directly to the rules. However they can't do anything about a site linking to another site that's hosting the rules. This could only get The NAF in trouble not fumbbl.


The greatest error nerds continually make in these sorts of discussions is thinking they understand IP law, or at least they do to a point they'd gamble in a hypothetical situation. We’re not experts, why take any sort of risk we may be wrong? I’d bet cash money Christer wouldn’t take any risks, and neither should we. Since the C&D, much less problematic material has been edited from the site than a direct link to a page with a big ‘get GW copyright material here’ button on it. Much better to be safe than sorry; the NAF’s relationship with GW and their IP isn’t really our concern. Unless Christer himself relaxes his policy on linking GW material, we shouldn’t go as far as had been there.

There might well have been broken links on the page, no-one is under any illusion that the user guide is perfect. But let’s at least have a user guide to tinker with. The more people that put in a little bit, the better it will be, but we should direct effort into constructive areas. As a rule of thumb, it is beneficial to encourage new users to explore the help, rather than immediately boot them out to external material we don't control.
Garion



Joined: Aug 19, 2009

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason I said that is christer himself linked directly to the gamesworkshop specialist games section of their site where the rules were hosted prior to the recent GW website overhaul.

In fact I still believe if you check the fumbbl rules there is still a hyperlink to that web site. It just no longer exists.

_________________
Image
sann0638



Joined: Aug 09, 2010

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
sann0638 wrote:
Linking to a "Links" page where a fair few of the Links are broken doesn't seem like an improvement. Tidied up lots of the broken links.

The main Blackbox bit needs updating too, but would ideally have some pictures. How do you put a picture on to Fumbbl and then link to it?


Load images into your Gallery page. Home | Gallery.


And then how do you know what the address is?

_________________
Image
NAF President
Founder of Cakebowl, Wiltshire's BB League @ cakebowl.co.uk
Garion



Joined: Aug 19, 2009

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Right click on the image then click properties.

_________________
Image
Woodstock



Joined: Dec 11, 2004

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 11:08
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

You need to link to the page where you can find the rules, you are never allowed to directly link to the document.
Purplegoo



Joined: Mar 23, 2006

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
The reason I said that is christer himself linked directly to the gamesworkshop specialist games section of their site where the rules were hosted prior to the recent GW website overhaul.

In fact I still believe if you check the fumbbl rules there is still a hyperlink to that web site. It just no longer exists.


If BigC is linking, BigC is linking. It would seem inconsistent with other site policy we've seen enacted over the last three or four years (websites linked with clear GW IP were all cleansed, weren't they?) so I'd still recommend leaving such blatant stuff in his hands.

If a direct link to a big 'get this copyright for free' button is fine, colour me extremely confused. I've seen many of those edited. Wink


Last edited by Purplegoo on Aug 26, 2014 - 11:19; edited 1 time in total
sann0638



Joined: Aug 09, 2010

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Right click on the image then click properties.


Ta.

_________________
Image
NAF President
Founder of Cakebowl, Wiltshire's BB League @ cakebowl.co.uk
Garion



Joined: Aug 19, 2009

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I checked with him before when doing the help pages... Basically what Woodstock says really. The important part of GW ip is not linking directly to something they own like images of their rules or miniatures and so on.

On another note I really wish GW would get their specialist games rules back on their web site. It really sucks that they are all completely removed Sad

_________________
Image
Purplegoo



Joined: Mar 23, 2006

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Good.
harvestmouse



Joined: May 13, 2007

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

This is also how it was explained to me when I was an admin (see Woodstock's post). I made the same assumption as goo and thought the difference was so minor it's the same infringement. However law is a strange and petty thing and evidently it is not the same.
Beerox



Joined: Feb 14, 2008

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Play a new game, and two things will happen.

1) It will be hard to figure out
and
2) Everyone on the site will call you a dufus because you can't figure it out

So yes, newbie interface can always be better
Purplegoo



Joined: Mar 23, 2006

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
This is also how it was explained to me when I was an admin (see Woodstock's post). I made the same assumption as goo and thought the difference was so minor it's the same infringement. However law is a strange and petty thing and evidently it is not the same.


I'm glad I wasn't imagining (at least some) staff holding this line at some point.

As it is, whilst it seems an odd distinction, good news all around. We can be more helpful, and moderating the forum / chat will be that much easier here on out. Tangent complete.
NerdBird



Joined: Apr 08, 2014

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

What if someone uploaded a "How to get started" video showing step by step everything you need to do to play a game on FUMBBL? There are a lot of how to videos for various board games I have found useful to get started quickly. Of course we would need someone with a British accent narrating the video, it just sounds more proper! Smile

_________________
Image
Image
pythrr



Joined: Mar 07, 2006

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

NerdBird wrote:
What if someone uploaded a "How to get started" video showing step by step everything you need to do to play a game on FUMBBL? There are a lot of how to videos for various board games I have found useful to get started quickly. Of course we would need someone with a British accent narrating the video, it just sounds more proper! Smile


The PolISh CoAcH will do this thing!

_________________
Image
Image
Display posts from previous:     
 Jump to:   
All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by PNphpBB2 1.2 © 2003 PNphpBB Group
Credits