21 coaches online • Server time: 01:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2015 - 07:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think we have to acknowledge that at all. WMDs in the Box have a 61% win rate. Slime Barons is even higher. Nihonto too. While it is true that they choose to win in a way that you dislike, there is no evidence that they are not playing to win. At this point, we would need koadah to come in with his stats and either confirm or deny that younger chaos and nurgle teams in B also perform well.

BUT: even if he says that is untrue and that they are worse at a statistically significant level, that is primarily because those rosters are designed to start off weak, with no skills, and have to be developed. That isn't an indication their coaches are not playing to win, it's part of the design of those rosters.

I just see no evidence which in any way supports your basic assumptions. This appears to be a case of you disliking a certain style/build, and projecting that dislike into false conclusions.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2015 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, no. I have several teams below .400 and itd be pants on head retarded to force those teams into retirement. Especially because you think there is a sufficiently egregious contingent of teams that just play to maim.

Show me on the doll where the beast of nurgle touched you
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2015 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumpsh wrote:
... But the main thing is to incentivise WINNING rather than just skilling players...

Christer did mention a 'Championship" for new teams. Hopefully he will do one for older teams too.

The Box is not "all about winning". If it was it probably wouldn't survive. It has to also be attractive to people who "just want to play a game".

Maybe PurpleChest is right. Fold the Box into Ranked and create a new non progression Box.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2015 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Maybe PurpleChest is right. Fold the Box into Ranked and create a new non progression Box.

Yay. Sadly I said this a long time ago and christer said no. It might even be in this thread.

However with the big league improvement coming this year I couldn't care less about black box. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2015 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

For all this hand wringing box has been pretty good lately. Maybe time to dip yer toes again?
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2015 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
koadah wrote:

Yay. Sadly I said this a long time ago and christer said no. It might even be in this thread.

However with the big league improvement coming this year I couldn't care less about black box. Smile

Well, on Cyanide every league can have it's own scheduler.

Secret League Box? Mr. Green

mrt1212 wrote:
For all this hand wringing box has been pretty good lately. Maybe time to dip yer toes again?

it works well enough if you like that kind of thing.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2015 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The last page and a half of this topic is full of vintage WHINE Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2015 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

What mrt1212 just said +1. It depends what you want from it.

I think i read something a few months back when Christer said that the Blackbox environment is not really intended for these old teams with 100 plus games. You have Ranked for that. For me this approach is working.

Since the box scheduler change the few teams that can survive at high TV end up playing each other a lot and for me they are welcome to it.

If i get a team to high TV or more than 30 games then it's time to accept that they will meet the killer teams that the majority seem to dislike. You might survive for a while but it won't be long before they take a big drop in TV and rebuilding becomes very tough. Either retire and start afresh or persevere if your attached to the team, it's not impossible just for most not very much fun.

The scheduler change and ARR have been brilliant for the box and low TV young teams get great diversity now. The incentive to win is there by way of the sprints in ARR and for other races the New Box Challenge tracks new teams.
Samaranthae

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2015 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe so you say you want stats but you will use individual teams as your examples.

I think i've presented an alternative an idea. It may be that its not viable or not an improvement. What it isnt is a whine or a complaint about clawpomb, in fact i'm defending bash teams. I just don't think that TV matching is the best way to go about creating matchups.

If you want to troll have fun but i dont have to convince you i'm just presenting a fresh idea. If you're afraid of change that says more about you than it says about me. If you want to argue any of my ideas i'll gladly expand
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2016 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

bump
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2016 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The below is the next natural step for Blackbox.

Christer suggested this back in Oct 2014. I would really like to see this implemented.

This is the future imo.

Christer wrote:
It's clear that three races are over-represented at the high [TV] end [of Blackbox] (Chaos, Nurgle and Chaos Dwarf). Ideally, it'd be better for diversity if they weren't quite so over-represented (pushing them down to below 6% on the chart).

An interesting thought-experiment would be to consider what would happen if I added a suitability increase for matches between these three races (meaning it'd be more likely to be paired against another race of these three if there were any available) in order to essentially make their opponents slightly tougher on average.

Christer wrote:
If I end up implementing a diversity factor, it'll be race independant and be based on the actual distribution of races in the last X number of days. Thus, it'd do the same for elves should they end up being dominant.
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2016 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
bump

Good bump.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2016 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
The below is the next natural step for Blackbox.

Christer suggested this back in Oct 2014. I would really like to see this implemented.

This is the future imo.

Christer wrote:
It's clear that three races are over-represented at the high [TV] end [of Blackbox] (Chaos, Nurgle and Chaos Dwarf). Ideally, it'd be better for diversity if they weren't quite so over-represented (pushing them down to below 6% on the chart).

An interesting thought-experiment would be to consider what would happen if I added a suitability increase for matches between these three races (meaning it'd be more likely to be paired against another race of these three if there were any available) in order to essentially make their opponents slightly tougher on average.

Christer wrote:
If I end up implementing a diversity factor, it'll be race independant and be based on the actual distribution of races in the last X number of days. Thus, it'd do the same for elves should they end up being dominant.

I'd name my next cat Christer if that happened.
 Jump to: