44 coaches online • Server time: 12:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2014 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

This forum thread is for anything relating to Season 57 of the SWL.

“Why didn't evolution make a giraffe good at carpentry so it could build a ladder?” - Karl Pilkington.

Links:

Announcements:

• Divisional Structure
    1 Premier, 2 Conferences, 1 Regional.
  • Season Commencement
    First round will be due by 3rd November. Divisional draws are up now. The season will finish before xmas.
  • Axing
    PM to the swladmin FUMBBL account by 10pm Monday Sydney time if your game has not yet been played. Check out the Guide for more information or check with someone else in chat. Refer to post below for more details about expectations. This is also the method for advising of parking at the end of a season.
  • General
    Please be aware that we rely on individual coaches to be active in checking this forum, arranging games against opponents (especially if not on east coast of Australia) and in communicating with Admins. The responsibility is on the coach to enquire, not the Admins to inform. Please feel free to ask any questions, anytime.
  • Trial of Blood
    Please be aware that the Trial of Blood is not a chance for teams to grow at the expense of competitive play. Play to win and keep the integrity of the SWL intact. If admins deem that a coach is not abiding by this then the team may have to retrial.

Rules to be brought in for Season 58:

• Admin reserve the right to change the divisional structure and drafting team's TV/TW limit whenever it is deemed to be in the best interests of the league (particularly if we change from below 32 coaches to above and vice versa).
Tomay

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2014 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay’s Season Preview LVI
I didn’t think I was a shot last season with all those Lizards, but somehow the KC dug deep and pulled it off for my 3rd Premier title. Congratulations coach Tomay, couldn’t have gone to a better bloke. Intoxicated Mayhem and Crypt-O-Night took out both of their respective conferences, congratulations to both coaches. The SWL Fun Police had a cracking debut season with a great Reggies display. I’m particularly excited by the competition level in conferences this season with 3 divisions full of so many strong players and teams, its going to be awesome.

The URN
Usually this is the spot for my Premier predictions, but I think it is important to put this season’s prem in perspective with our current URN standings. The final 3 spots for the URN will be decided at the end of this season, which means teams have a secondary objective beyond achieving Premiership glory.

Lock Ins
Wonga Wonga Whalekillers
Kowabunga Connection

In the Hunt
Intoxicated Mayhem - 50 pts [looks like a lock in]
Slumbering Skink – 41 [looks very likely]
Crypt-O-Night 36 [going to have the lizards trying to overtake him this season]
Horrors of Skye – 31 [could be the first reserve]
Blackwater Sting - 30 [could be a second reserve]
SWL Hunting Crocs – 19 [a big season might get them there]
Sotek Sacred Spawning – 16 [as above]
Crookwell Green Devils - 9 [looks to be out of it]

Premier
High strength players galore in Prem this season with the 3 lizard teams staying up while Orcs, Pact and Undead were promoted to join them. Interestingly, my predictions from last season in conferences were pretty accurate.

Kowabunga Connection basically scraped through unexpectedly last season on the back of a little (overdue) luck and some decent skill rolls. This season however is going to be even tougher than the last on paper with the prevalence of rosters with high ST players. Look for them to struggle and probably finish in the bottom 2.

Slumbering Skink have let two Prem titles slip in round 7 two seasons in a row. To get yourself to that position and lose it is heartbreaking. I don’t know whether Faulcon can do it again, but his roster is still strong. They’ll be in the hunt.

The SWL Hunting Crocs scraped into the top 4 unexpectedly after a stellar effort last season to remain in Prem. This display surely displays Bobs’ credentials as a coach after a period spent amongst the masses after his Premiership victory at the end of LRB4. Unfortunately, I don’t think that even good coaching can overcome their roster’s weaknesses this season.

Sotek Sacred Spawning had a mixed season overall, starting slow but gaining momentum towards the end of the season. They take this momentum into this season with them and with Tyra_Nid’s coaching and a bit of luck I think they can take the title out.

As an Undead aficionado, Crypt-O-Night is a sexy team on paper. Look at those zombies. Undead struggle in prem at this level, and I think the lizards will be trouble with their dodge and strength, which makes it particularly difficult for Rabid. However, they will be well coached, that you can be sure of – so I think they’ll sneak in to the top 4.

You don’t know what you’re going to get from Intoxicated Mayhem in Prem. You know they are going to dominate Conferences, but then they usually come up and disappoint. On his last run, coach Erickan managed to challenge for a title. This time, I think he will be in the hunt but probably fall short as skinks run around him.

The Woodistan Dance Squad are probably the best story in SWL at the moment. After a long drought for wood elf teams, WDS have cracked the big time. There’s no longer any doubt about Dazedmw’s credentials and the roster looks strong. However, there’s just too much bash this season for him to put 7 games together. An unfortunate time to be promoted, I just hope he has a team left at the end of the season.

The Green Devils aren’t flashy. What you will get however is solid coaching and a good mix of skills across the team. If people underestimate them they’ll be sorry. If the big guys don’t role 1’s and the refs look the other way, they’re a chance on any day. I don’t know whether that’s a sustainable strategy for a prem campaign with this competition though.

1st – Sotek Sacred Spawning
2nd – Slumbering Skink
3rd – Intoxicated Mayhem
4th – Crypt-O-Night

Black Swan’s Conference
2x Chaos Dwarves, 2x Orcs, Nurgle, Chaos = I feel sorry for Psych Lab (but not Chavo).

What is most striking about this conference is that a lot of the teams are in the establishment (or re-establishment) phase heading into the season. The great thing is that with the bash, they might just all cancel each other out.

I think Blackwater Sting are well positioned to win it, based on the fact that Chavo’s team is already there.

Malapropism Mania will also be amongst the chances, on the back of Beefy’s coaching and by the end of the season I think they will be the team to beat in SWL.

The two Orc teams had disappointing seasons coming 2nd last in their conferences last season. Unfortunately, I think they are a little underdone for what they will come up against in this conference.

Psych Lab is really struggling to reach the heights they were at a few seasons ago, but they should enjoy some cash with the low TV now.

The Fun Police had a great season to start with and can put their money where their mouth is by taking on the other bash this season. I reckon they’ll come 3rd.

The Chokeland Graders have some cool stuff going on and I’d like to see Karnov do well, but I think he will need to be patient for the moment.

Prediction
1st – Blackwater Sting
2nd – Malapropism Mania

Tribute Conference
A bit more speed in this conference with the two big scissor teams sticking out as the biggest threats.

Its good to see the Horrors of Skye sticking around. I think they are in for a decent season as they have the speed to match the elves and rats with the ability to get around the Nurgle and Chaos.

Everyone expects the Whalekillers to get back on top, but I think it will be more of a rebuilding season. They had a hot run, but it looks to have come to an end and I reckon they’ll enjoy a middling season to build back up from Conferences.

Redgum’s Rodents are going to find it easier this season. I actually think they’ll finish the season at 2nd in this conference as it finally clicks for Red.

I don’t quite know what to make of Sharp Force Trauma. I suspect their lack of speed will see them punished in this group this season, but Malfeasor is at this stage an unknown quanitity, so lets see what he can do with them.

Mexican Standoff are going to be in contention again this season and will be waiting to pounce if one of the developed teams falters to grab a Prem spot.

The two Wood Elf teams will need some luck if they are going to compete. Autumn’s Leaves look the most likely to make a splash but they’ll need to escape their first two matchups unscathed.

It’s good to see Malalocide make it to Conferences. I don’t think they’ll be back in reggies next season either, I reckon DrPoods is on the improve and ready to surprise a few.

Predictions
1st – Horrors of Skye
2nd – Redgum’s Rodents

Third’s a Charm Conference
The make up of this conference is pretty funny. It’s very much rock, paper, scissor. Dwarves beat zons, Zons beat Khemri, Khemri beats Dwarves.

I think you can discount the two amazon teams straight away with 2 matchups vs dwarves – I just think that’s too much to overcome for a first place result. Edamame Diet have a pretty sweet roster coming along, so they may be a chance of sneaking into 2nd with some favourable dice.

The Dumbass Rats and Hidden People aren’t quite there yet.

GGS had a decent season last season and cdwat is putting the pieces together a bit better. I think they can be there abouts this season.

Technically Minded are my pick to take out the Conference. Grod’s a good Dwarf coach and there isn’t a real problem matchup for him beyond the Khemri. Redmaul will also make a splash but I think his team needs another season to really challenge for a Conference Win.

It’s great to see the Sphinxes back but they wont like lining up against all these high elves, zons and rats. They just don’t have the speed or tackle, but hopefully they can surprise.

Predictions
1st – Technically Minded
2nd – Griffon Gate Sentinels

Chunky’s Regional
Welcome to our new coaches. I’m particularly excited by polemarch’s Vamps and its great to see Jevouse take the position of the keen reggie for this season.

Goodluck to everyone.

Spectator’s Games of the Season
Kowabunga Connection vs Slumbering Skink – Faulcon will get his revenge.
Crookwell Green Devils vs Crypt-O-Night – Two rivals battle it out for the John Stone Boot.
Woodistan State Dance Squad vs Intoxicated Mayhem
Blackwater Sting vs Da Blackest Guard
Malapropism Mania vs SWL Fun Police
Autumn’s Leaves vs Longear Wussbags
Wonga Wonga vs Horrors of Skye
Technically Minded vs Sphinxes from Mars
Griffon Gate Sentinels vs Edamame Diet

Last edited by Tomay on Oct 21, 2014 - 00:19; edited 1 time in total
Tomay

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2014 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I have made an error with the groupings, as suspected. Conferences and reggies will be up tomorrow.

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2014 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Just so I can get in before Tomay decides to doom the RocketVamps to the worst possible ever first season ever! Any predictions by Tomay are null and void. You listening Nuffle?

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2014 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL Admin PSA:

One: Prem and Conf draws are up (again). Hopefully it's all good. Reggies to come mid-week.

Two: The perfect storm of parking/unparking and redrafting has granted us a decent number of coaches playing in SWL this season. As we are just shy of the magic 40, we have made a shift to 5 divisions: 1 Prem, 3 Confs, 1 Reggie. As such, many of you who were expecting to continue wallowing/hiding in reggies have been promoted. Congratulations!

Three: Further to the previous point, we need two fillers for reggies. If you are in conf or prem and feel like contributing to the league, please submit a PM to swladmin or hit one of us up in IRC.
This is a great chance for those coaches who feel they need a break from their main team to stretch the proverbials.

Good luck coaches - and may the block dice be ever in my favour!

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man the black swans conference is going to be messy....

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Autumn Leaves vs the Wussbags will be a doozy I reckon.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDiscoStu wrote:
Oh man the black swans conference is going to be messy....

The Fun Police will be sounding the CPOMB siren.

If both dlock and I can keep a team together for a season the rd7 mirror match should be good. The last few seasons I've found that by rd7 I'm playing with a handful of cripples and journeymen though, so we'll have to try and bring that blocks against figure down a little.
Semitence

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

So much av 9, I'm excited.
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohcome on! No wonder I had such dreadful luck first game. Look what's he done to me again! Gah I Hate you KoD!!!

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Tomay - making me start the prem season with two Rookiesaurs AND the Kiss? I have no chance.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol I was just thinking that 57% of my opponents have access to claw. It should be renamed the blackbox conference.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Fortis

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

"Fun" Division.

The Fun Police will ensure you are enjoying your fun the way it was intended.
Karnov

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the Graders were hoping to repeat prep, but it looks like we've been slotted in with the big, bad grade 6er's!

We're really a finesse team masquerading as a bash team, so go gentle, big boys Very Happy
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Karnov wrote:
Well, the Graders were hoping to repeat prep, but it looks like we've been slotted in with the big, bad grade 6er's!

We're really a finesse team masquerading as a bash team, so go gentle, big boys Very Happy

Obsfucation Alert!

Sound the sirens!!! You weren't so gentle with us. Poor little lambs of Malalocide.

Jump to: