37 coaches online • Server time: 11:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
chunky04

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, there's a whole thread asking questions on how to fix gnomes, but none on what the problems actually are. What are you gnome coaches experiences playing gnomes?

I find they are simply a passive team. They really struggle dealing with threats from the opposition, such as big guys and chainsaws. Orc Slayers are tied up or hurt far too easily to be relied on, and throwing bombs is chancy at best. Even suicide blitzes are a longshot due to low MA. So the opposition end up with a pretty free reign if the bombs don't come through, eliminating players at a fairly rapid rate, and then your bombs get sent off and most of your team is gone.

Even if you go well and do knock some of these things over, it's more difficult to hurt them, as no-one on the team has any injury boosting skills, and foulign is hard to pull off with the lack of MA.

It's very frustrating to be getting absolutely smashed, and feel there's nothing you could have done about it. When you ask you're opposition coach what you could have done to do better, they generally can't think of anything.

Do other coaches have this problem? What do they do to get around it?
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be interested in people's thoughts too...

I have just created a gnome team for Div[S] and am yet to play em...

Have played against them before and won hands down all the time... now I guess the boots on the other foot...

I also noticed there is nothing on Gnomes in the user guide.... if I am moderately successful with my team, I will add something but hopefully there are more "experienced" Gnome coaches out there...
chunky04

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm now up to 14 games with my gnomes, with what sounds like a pretty reasonable record of 6/2/6. The majority of those wins came at the start, before bug guys etc, get skills and start to really hurt. Even then, most of those came due to rather good luck on my part I thought.

Now my gnomes have had a very lucky CAS rate of 21/10/3, and have only turned over 7 players in 14 games, so theoretically they should be a strong team. I tend to think of myself as a slightly above average coach, but I really can't think of a way to get gnomes to win reliably. It may sound strange, but I feel I've a better chance of winning with my snots, even though their record is 3/4/4.

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Here're the problems with Gnomes as I see them...

Basically, they are the equal slowest Stunties around and don't have anywhere near enough going for them to compensate for this.

Slayers are excellent fun and very handy indeed, but at the end of the day they just aren't a substitute for a real big guy. They need an assist to get 2 dice on a big guy (assuming they pass their dauntless roll) and then have little chance of doing any real damage. At the end of the day, they're like chainsaws only less damaging and more durable.

After this we've got what? Not much...

Engineers. The Gnomes' only hope. And a desperate hope it is too. There're so many rolls involved in throwing a bomb that it's an extremely dicey prospect. Given time, the Engineers become more reliable with a few passing skills and do have the ability to theoretically deal out some carnage. Overall, they're a dodgy prospect though. Do as much damage to your own team generally, as they do to your opponents.

Then we've got Cannons. So slow you can pretty much count them as not being able to move, these guys are the Gnomes' best chance at scoring. I find them difficult to get much value out of though, mainly because of their extremely low movement and the fact that they generally get sent off pretty quickly. Handy for a slightly more reliable Bomb attack, as they don't suffer from the Stunty Passing penalty.

At the end of the day Gnomes are slow and weak and generally have little chance of doing a great deal other than blowing themselves up and getting beaten on. But hey, it is funny to watch the little tikes go BOOM!... Wink

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Lorion

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I hav a gnome team with a record of 3/4/3, and it is correct that they are very unreliable. Their slayers lack the ability to get MB, and their engineers lack stability, when they work the are, however, very deadly. I ony have one big complaint.... the gnomes are soppused to be the dwarves of stunty with their low move and thick skull. This they are not, their AV7 makes them just as weak as any other stunty team, and all the opponent has to do is get som big-guys up next to your players or get a quick and lcky TD - then U have no more engineers....... and Engineers are really your only chance...

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

My Gnomes are 7/1/7 and my best tip is to take multi-block on the slayers first skill and use them to take out the opponents STUNTY players, like someone else said (I'm to lazy to scroll up) they need an assist and a passed dauntless roll to stand a chance of knocking down a BG and if they dont fall the slayers struggle to dodge away. Avoid the big guys, I know they are low MA but at least they can only blitz one a turn and the Thick skull and decent (for stunty) AV helps to keep the little guys on the pitch.
To summarise, take multi-block, kill the stunties, bomb the BGs, laugh as they struggle to score with only a BG/pump wagon.
On a side note my Gnomes have hit 8 CAS in each of their last two games, when they hit, they hit hard.

Hope this helps anyone who's just making a Gnome team.

Also has anyone else noticed that all the win/loss records posted here have the Gnomes winning the exact same amount as they lose?

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I have noticed that, and that's why I must say that my gnomes are... crap. Smile

1/1/3 for my little punks. Maybe we should start a new thread "Making Twahn Competative - Stunty Leeg Proposal"? Razz

Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Shouldn't panic yet Twahn my went 0/0/5 then 5/0/5 they're a strange little team at the best of times.

Another important fact I just remembered, If you dont find blowing up your own players as funny as blowing up other peoples tehn this probably isn't the team for you.

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I've got the Multiblock/Tackle slayer, but let's face it, it really isn't difficult to take out the Slayers if your opponent dedicates even a modicum of effort to do so. They can be knocked over fairly easily by pretty much any player on the pitch with a couple of assists, and if that doesn't sort them out, a foul soon will.

Post   Posted: May 04, 2004 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I think maybe if they gave them 3 or av8 the gnomes would be more competitive cause when you lose them you lose the game, unless your bombs are going extremely well.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Surely there are more gnome players than this? Or does the silence really say it all?

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, it's just the 4 of us.
5, now that ClayInfinity has joined our ranks... Wink

Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

There are lots but most aren't helpful enough to answer you're question.
Or perhaps they dont have much of a grasp on the English Language?

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, I had some relatively successful ones, well got to TR 250, but that was a while back with 4 Slayers. Could decimate teams with them but RARELy used the bombers, just my ag 4 pass cannon to TTM.

Flings Rule!
celas

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, ad me to the list. My gnomes are 15/5/13 and based on my experience, I agree with most of what has been said. I generally attack big guys with bombs (making sure little guys cannot intercept them) and sometimes throw bombs to empty squares to prevent INT/catches&rethrows. I use the slayers to beat up the opposition lil guys, but frequently run into two problems: bad luck on bomb rolls (so you need a lot of rerolls = 8 is good) and getting the slayers overpowered and subsequently fouled by little guys on the opposition. In addition, if there are too many scores you run out of players due to all the secret weapons (cheaters coaches feel this pain too). SO the secrets to winning include having 16 players, 8 rerolls, using bombers on the field in moderation (e.g., only set up up 1 max if it is after a turn 6/7 TD) and blow up big guys. As with an earlier post, multiblock on little guys is effective (w/tackle), however, good caoches can counter most of these strategies by spreadng players out and "switching the field" when gnome coaches overcommit to one side on defense.