59 coaches online • Server time: 17:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mnemon

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed nothing much to add. Want cannons to lose bombs and voiced that opinion since some time.

-Mnemon
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

My gnomes are 8-3-4 and the only thing i have to say that hasn't been said is freeboot the deathroller often. It lets you knock down big guys so you can foul them while your slayers work on the stunties and also keeps your tr in check since you will be able to blow that excess cash. Also i have found the cannons to be more usefull for the blunderbuss than the ttm, but that might be just me.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon this isn't supposed to be about what needs changing, there's a whole nother thread for that (and I very much disagree that's all that needs changing), it's supposed to be about finding out how gnome players are playing their teams, and what the difficulties are that they are experiencing.

thmbscrws I've tried the Deathroller on a few occasions, and have found it to be pretty poor actually. You only need to knock it down once to get rid of it, which isn't particularly hard to do to something without block or dodge, even with ST7, you can either get some assists, or just go for 2D you pick and it will go down more often than not.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had the Deathroller last 3 games, not sure how I kept the money rolling in but anyhow, I've scored 8,8 and 6 CAS and won all three so there must be some use from it. Obviously you shouldn't throw a bomb anywhere near it.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm, were your opponents aware of the if it gets knocked over it's BH'ed rule? The ones I've played with it certainly were, and wasted no time exploiting it.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

What I am trying to do with my gnomes is to play the TTM game ... as that is what their true strength is in my opinion. And well I like TTM as you can see by looking at my (former [r] now) [u] goblins. It either works or it doesn't. Naturally that means only one cannon on the pitch at a time. As with the cheaters I never field all weapons, i.e. never more than two engineers. More often than not at least one of them doesn't work or hits some of my own players, so fielding four would be a waste.

The role of the slayers is to hunt down opposing stunties. I rarely target the big guys unless I get a shot at frenzying them out (used to have two slayers with stand firm, only one left now :/). If I can't score enough during the first half the game usually is clearly lost by the second half due to lack of players and mobility.
chunky04

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 06:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hows that going? I've always found it too unreliable to base an entire offense around, I use it sometimes, but not too often.

Bombs and TTM seem to simply have too many rolls - 2+ to not have bomb explode/to not eat play, then a pass, then landing roll/knock over roll. Big Guys and such only have one roll, chainsaws one roll etc, but bombs and TTM have lots of places to go wrong.

I agree with what someone else was saying, I found the Blunderbuss to be more useful than TTM - sneak a gnome around the back, then lob it up there later on.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Chances are quite good as the cannons have ag3 ... you don't want an accurate ttm, just getting the stunty away is enough usually. It works perfect with my open gobbos (both ogres have ag3 and pass) - not to win games of course, any established LRB team can outplay gobbos, but I store more than 2 TDs on average per game (best was a 19 TD game, me scoreing 7 times with ttm opponent 12 times ... of course that was with the client allowing you to pickup the ball during your blitz turn still). It works on defense as well btw. Need an assist? Throw one in Smile. Problem with Gnomes is their low ma though. I have to pass a longer distance then I have to with ma6 gobbos.

TTMing is not a winning strategy of course, but it is great fun, and since a fumble ain't a turn over anymore has been improved somewhat. What more could a stunty team want then seeing things go splash all over the place and eventually even being eaten (or exploding in case of the cannons).

-Mnemon
Bruno

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, as far as my Gnomes go i find them quite good. But, the reason ive been here silent and idle during this discussion is that mine havent been put through a real test since ive had this combination of I still got my 4 Slayers (huge difference, even 4 is way to few it feels like most of the time =) ) oh, and perhaps not the most fairest games around... hmm... Well, even so, they got a hard time finding an own type of play. Often it feels like a team of slow goblin cheaters without the really nice toys, but, most of the time they just feels like slow gnomes.

But, about playing style, I rarely get to use the cannons to TTM, they all to often end up being knocked over, and tend to stay down for the rest of the drive, and then promptly being spotted by the ref. (I can understand him, not hard to spot something that lies around on the pitch like a pile of junk, not that threatening to send of compared to a chainsaw id say!)

This being said I have resorted to a running game. Yepp, you heard me, running gnomes. Well, after doing as been voiced above, hunting the little fellows with the slayers I put my trust in my quick little Gnome Doris to break through and outrun anything with that whooping MV5 and sprint.

But, I got to say, the time when my Slayers are down to the official number of 2 I sure will have to agree with Mnemon and adjust the play to TTM, and quick before all the gnomes are done for!
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: May 05, 2004 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I have two slayers and often play the 'running' game but TTMing is just as good, depends on the number of turns left. It was just the other day when my opponent failed a block before securing the ball and I threw a gnome down to retrieve it and score on my turn 1 of his drive.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2004 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I consider myself a pretty good coach (Coach rating 200+), and I have the strongest Gnome team in FUMMBL, with four Slayers, three AG 4 players (including one +str, +ag Block player), two reasonably skilled bombers... really, everything you can get. Even so, I ahve about 20 straight matches without a victory with gnomes. They're pretty reasonable at start (at least they were when you could start with 4 Slayers), but they get worse and worse (comparatively speaking) the stronger the teams get.

The reason? You're too slow to score very often, and you will also get outbashed (this only gets worse with all the ref send-offs). Even with 16 players, it's a rare match where I have 10+ players in the second half.

Also, bombs are a joke! When the bombers get accurate+pass, they start damaging you less than they damage the opponet. Between 1/2 and 1/3 of all bombing attempts results in a turnover...

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
Zhluhur

Post   Posted: May 28, 2004 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

My Gnomestats:
Games Played: 17 (8/3/6) | TD Diff: 0 (21 - 21) | Cas Diff: -30 (14/6/5 - 27/20/Cool

The slayers: Its even for other stuntys not very complicated to knock a ST2 - "no dodge" player down. You have to protect them whats not easy with a frenzy player.

The engeneers: They are ok. Too bad the ref spots them very often.

The cannons: I place one cannon deep in the field, give it the ball while my gnomes try to run as fast as they can waiting for blunderbussshots.

The gnomes: weak and terribly slow!

The main problems: The cannons are realy stupid, and always need a gnome next to them to use anything. The theme is good, cause how would a cannon do something on its own, but a bonehead cannon would help using it more often.
The gnomes are too slow. Its a pain to get them to the endzone. Or get the ball to the cannon. Nearly every other team can outrun them.

I can handle the ball very good with my team cause of my AG5 gnome, but I need more speed to get the ball from A to B in one turn. Caging is nealy impossible, cause the other teams have the same strengh.

Ideas: gnomes with strengh access (no mighty blow). If they have guard, they could build up cages.
Cannons: replace realy stupid with bonehead or cancel it.
Insert a deathroller maybe.

Should be tested.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2004 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Im enjoying playing gnomes, played 33 games now wid the little 'uns going strong my record aint that bad but they can be very fustrating at times
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=82983
but there fun

Post   Posted: May 28, 2004 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

STR access on the gnomes could be amusing to see, alot of guarders Im sure, but would love to see how it changed the way they played, and I reckon it would be within their Fluff? Evo got any ideas on it?

Flings Rule!
johan

Post   Posted: May 30, 2004 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the idea! That would make gnomes different, instead of just crap Wink

I officially like PO in Stunty, too.

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
 Jump to: