55 coaches online • Server time: 23:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
johan

Post   Posted: May 30, 2004 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the idea! That would make gnomes different, instead of just crap Wink

I officially like PO in Stunty, too.

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: May 30, 2004 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Gnomes are all about Mad Bommaz. They are a mayhem roster like the Goblin Cheaters. So that should always be kept in mind when trying to balance them. When bombs go well the team can be impressive. None the less they are still a weak team. M5 on the Orc Slayers helped, but they still are a challenge to be competitive versus certain rosters. Perfect balance need not be the ultimate goal of the Stunty Leeg. It's about FUN.

With that in mind, I still think the gnome team needs some work. Suggestions are coded according to the issues that they address F= Fluff, U= Uniqueness, N=Novel playing style, B=Balance

1) Gnome Engineers. This was a stop gap measure until Skijunkie implemented bombs (they had chainsaws at first). Christer has told me it's relatively easy to change the position name, so I think they should be changed to Mad Bommaz immediately (F). On a related note, I think it might be worth considering increasing their move to 5 (B) and more controversially giving them Frenzy(FU).

2) Orc Slayers. I'm torn on these guys. I sort of like the idea of what happens to dwarves when they flunk out of Trollslayer school (F) but I think we can make them more unique (U) by playing up their gnomish twist by creating a Daredevil Cult whose ultimate goal is to die scoring a TD after being launched out of the cannon(F). To do this, I could see the Orc Slayers renamed Daredevils and changed in the following mannger: M5 S2 A3 AV7 Block, Dauntless, Frenzy, Right Stuff, Thick Skull, Stunty GSA.(FUNB)

3) Dwarven Cannon. Rename it to Cannon (F). I'm thinking replacing/removing Really Stupid might be worth considering. Giving it Bonehead or going back to M1 are other options (B)

4) Gnomes. Gnomes are supposed to be similar to their dwarven cousins, so I think they should be the toughest stunty in the Leeg (F); it's a fair trade for the very weak M4 (B). Upping their AV to 8 and lowering their AG to 2 would work well with the tweaks to the Orc Slayers. It would play up the Daredevil Cult (F), make gnomes even more distinct (U) and make their playing style even more mayhemful (N).

Gnomes More Mayhem
0-2 Cannon 70000 2 3 3 10 Always Hungry, Blunderbuss, Bonehead, Throw Team Mate S P
0-2 Daredevil 70000 5 2 3 7 Block, Dauntless, Frenzy, Stunty, Right Stuff, Thick Skull G S A
0-4 Mad Bomma 60000 5 2 3 7 Bomb, Frenzy, Dodge, Right Stuff, Thick Skull A P
0-16 Gnome 40000 4 2 3 8 Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty, Thick Skull A

Post   Posted: May 30, 2004 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

That's not too bad, but there's a huge problem that this doesn't solve. When you put up Gnomes against any team with Block/Tackle/Multiblock Big Guys, you lose your Slayers within a few turns, and then you have nothing you can do against them -- and you're too slow to run away with the ball and score that way.

Perhaps Dauntless on all the Gnomes? It may not be as stupid as it sounds... Smile

Or Str access, as mentioned above.

/johan

EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: May 30, 2004 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to see the first response to my proposals was regarding the (B) in FUN. Confused

None the less, all address this balancing issue, so others can comments on the F U N.

Daredevils shouldn't be getting knackered by the opposition BGs. With AV8 and thick skull you should have plenty of gnomes to place between your Daredevils and the oppsositions BGs. If that's not your flavour you should be more successful in using your cannons to tie up BGs. You can also target the BGs with your bombs. The last two have been relatively successful for me. And if that weren't enough, you have a much greater chance at dodging away with AG3 and Dodge on the Daredevils.

With those strategic tips, do you think the Gnomes would measure up to the other teams?

And more importantly, what do you think of the changes to make them Fluffier, Uniquer and more Novel? Twisted Evil

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Legendary Daredevil

Post   Posted: May 30, 2004 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

They are great ..... for all kinds of pots, stews and even frying them is a winner.
Atleast thats what the trolls say, but they eat just about anything so it might not be a good sorce of information Wink.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: May 30, 2004 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm certainly not a dedicated stunty coach and retired my gnomes already, but str for the gnomes might be FUN indeed. It fits the fluff as they are cousins of the dwarves, and it also shouldn't cause major balancing issues, since most the only useful skill would be Guard anyhow. I really can imagine these little fellows supporting each other desperately! Very Happy
johan

Post   Posted: May 30, 2004 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

My experience is that even four Slayers isn't enough to handle two skilled-up trolls. Frenzy makes it impossible to use them and then keep them away, and Stunty will make them about equally fragile as they are now. You need to be lucky to hurt the opponent more than yourself when you use bombs (in my experience, it takes pass+accurate before they start to be worthwhile, ideally with Safe Throw too). Cannons are Really Stupid and Move 2, meaning that they can tie up for one turns, and then they're like turtles lying around on their back...

The problem with Gnomes is that they're supposed to be the Dwarves of Stunty - except that Dwarves don't have AV 7 and no Block...

As it is now, any two big guys will mowe right through a Gnome team, and this won't help matters much. Being slow *and* unable to bash it out with the other teams is the reason Gnomes do so incredibly poorly.

The good old Chainsaw engineers were a real help, unlike the crappy Bombers. Any chance of getting them back?

/johan

Britnoth

Post   Posted: May 30, 2004 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

A whole team of av8 in stunty is broken, as is str 2 guards.
johan

Post   Posted: May 31, 2004 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Gnomes are brokenly poor now. It's not likely that a change like that would make them brokenly good overnight.

/johan

chunky04

Post   Posted: May 31, 2004 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's worth giving a go on all fronts Evo.

I also reckon access to S skills wouldn't be too bad either, but would prefer to play the roster you've posted above for a while first.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2004 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

+MA and Frenzy on the bombers wouldn't help much. Bombers don't move. It may be fluff, but useless. Make them MA3 and reduce their price would be more usefull. And to play the ball with bombers it stupid too, cause they are taken out by the ref too much to use them for any other thing then throwing bombs.

With that ideas above, the team has only 2 players who can handle the ball. Your only blockers... Well even with AG3 it was hard for gnomes to get the ball out of their half.

Might be funny, but the team would be worse than before.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2004 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

My Tinkerers are 1/1/4 in the SWL Qpuddle Stunty league. They are dreadful. The game i did win was against snots and somehow my Slayer pulled off a kill on one of the oppo trolls and no Apo left to save it. That opened a huge hole as i had been using the Slayers to kill every snot they could, helped by having tackle on one of the lads.

Regards the bombs, i throw em every chance i can and usually try to get the oppo big guy to catch, but only after doing every other player i need to do something with. in the past i let the throw cross to many of the opposing stunties, they would grab anf throw back on an intercept, don't let the bomb pass over an oppo players, thsats been my mistake usually so far.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2004 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

oh, yeh and decide where the bomb you wants to gois going to o and move the other players accordingly i've found....errrr....learned. And always plan for the bomber to drop it on his own toes. because it seems tpo happen most of the time.

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2004 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Gnome bombers are the only players in stunty to be able to consistently pass the ball... ag3 no stunty penalty and access to passing skills? Blunderbuss isnt useless either...
Stovaa

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2004 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm...

I'd say try STR access on the gnomes. It'll be a fun idea. And Stunty is all about fun.
 Jump to: