43 coaches online • Server time: 12:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

So I was playing a game of pickup basketball yesterday and it struck me that perhaps it'd be interesting to try different methods of how the game state is ended - rather than getting 16 turns you'd play until someone has scored 3 TDs - just like in pickup basketball you play to a set score instead of playing for a set time.

Alternately I also thought about playing until someone has less than 3 players and tallying the scores at that point.

How do you think either idea would play out?

I think the set score would be great for elven games that are short on time.

I also realized that if you played this way it might be needed to do away with the kick mechanism and probably go to a random throw in from the side or a scattered ball from the center and then roll to see who goes first.

Just kicking around some ideas.
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

2ed standard rules was play until the first team scored 3 Touch Downs and to prevent stalling you could just concede scores. It worked just fine BUT you can have some very long matches under that format.

I don't know why they got away from the idea that you could bring on subs when players get de pitched. It promotes having a full roster and it does limit the ability of the other team to stall under most situations.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The original game of blood Bowl was the 1st to score 3 TD's but was changed after a match ended 2-2 with all players Cas'd out

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
I also realized that if you played this way it might be needed to do away with the kick mechanism and probably go to a random throw in from the side or a scattered ball from the center and then roll to see who goes first.

This is just one of the many ways in which 2E was broken. Wink Though arguably even today winning the coin toss is a huge advantage, and of course for overtime in tourney matches it is exactly the situation you describe. Though your fix isn't really much of a fix because one team still goes first. That's kind of the nature of a turn-based game. Wink
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Though your fix isn't really much of a fix because one team still goes first. That's kind of the nature of a turn-based game. Wink

I would like to point out that the offense in American Football gets to go (move) first. Just pointing this out even though it really has no deeper meaning besides that in real life sports some of them let one side go first, so to speak.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

This is just one of the many ways in which 2E was broken. Wink Though arguably even today winning the coin toss is a huge advantage, and of course for overtime in tourney matches it is exactly the situation you describe. Though your fix isn't really much of a fix because one team still goes first. That's kind of the nature of a turn-based game. Wink

True, but I am struggling to find a more even way to get the ball in play. If there isn't one that's fine too.

Oh and thanks for all the replies - I didnt realize that this was already the way it was at one point. Interesting.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Always starting a drive the same way a blitz! result is handled currently could be interesting. Surprised

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Simple really. Neither team starts w/ the ball & must try to get to it at midfield before the other team.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
play until someone has scored 3 TDs

Alternately I also thought about playing until someone has less than 3 players and tallying the scores at that point.

First one has been tried and tested. The second one is a bit harsh on the softer rosters that try to keep their players out of harms way as much as possible. I think this idea might end up actually creating more imbalance.

I've been lately thinking about if we somehow could "kill" the stalling tactic that has become a fundamental part of Blood Bowl, so I've been thinking along similar lines.

Maybe instead of having two t8 halves, there could be four t4 or t5 quarters called "drives"? Would that be an improvement?

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

One way to switch up the pace of the game and the tactics involoved is once again found in 2ED.

Back in the day the kicking team set up at the 1/4 line in their end. The receiving team set up at the mid line back to their end line. Now the kicking team used the kicking rules to kick off the ball.

Lets say you switch nothing else but the set up of the teams. So the rules of how the game is played is the exact same as CRP.

And the board is set up under the old rules. Now the receiving team does not get 4 automatic blocks/blitzes on the opening turn, they only get one blitz. Also it changes totally the tactical side of the game.

Under CRP the offense has a huge advantage for 2 reasons.

1: They get their 4 free blocks
2:The get to dictate to the defense by man locking players and really getting in the face of the defense forcing them to react one way or the other.

So by setting up the old school 2ED way you now force the offense (recieving) team to make some hard choices. Do they banzai charge down field to engage the defense? Leaving the entire middle of the pitch open? Do they move down field but not all the way but let the defense dictate the flow of the blocking game by getting to engage first?

Setting up Blood Bowl under the old 2ED way still using everything in CRP really changes up the tactics of the game...and then bring back allowing reserves to enter the pitch when a team mate is sent ot the KO box or higher...now you have a totally different tactical game.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
play until someone has scored 3 TDs

First one has been tried and tested. The second one is a bit harsh on the softer rosters that try to keep their players out of harms way as much as possible. I think this idea might end up actually creating more imbalance.

I was thinking that the secondary one would be for specific grudge matches or involving bashier teams. The primary idea would be for faster teams.
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Now if you think my idea is interesting, you think Iam right that would change the tactics of the game and be fun. Well my friends this idea is not some pie in the sky dream!!! You do not have to wait until Christer realizes the wisdom and greatness of the my idea.

JOIN this league where the old ways are the best ways!!!

That is right!!! I GIVE YOU 2ED SET UP IN THIS WHACED OUT CRP WORLD WE LIVE IN!!!!

And as a added bonus!!! SUBSTITUTE RULES!!!!!

FLOCK TO MY BANNER!!!!!

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

a blitz event is about as even as it gets. Especially when it is predictable.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

I've been lately thinking about if we somehow could "kill" the stalling tactic that has become a fundamental part of Blood Bowl, so I've been thinking along similar lines.

Maybe instead of having two t8 halves, there could be four t4 or t5 quarters called "drives"? Would that be an improvement?

Yes, defenetly. I tested such game a few years ago, and lived up to that principal. The downside is that the notoriously slow rosters are not accustomed to that type of game, so you could not use all rosters under such rules.
Please note also that attrition is a little higher, as there are plus 2 LOS beating involved.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2014 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Setting up Blood Bowl under the old 2ED way still using everything in CRP really changes up the tactics of the game...and then bring back allowing reserves to enter the pitch when a team mate is sent ot the KO box or higher...now you have a totally different tactical game.

That's right. It would be a different game entirely. Interesting thoughts...
 Jump to: