54 coaches online • Server time: 19:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I am playing a tournament soon with a skaven team. I have 1,100,000 gp to buy the team with. Injuries are NOT carried over, and at the end of each match two random players are given one skill. There is also NO winnings.

The possibilities I have come up with (I have no rat ogre model) are:

a)
4 gutter runners
2 storm vermin
2 throwers
4 line rats
4 rerolls
2 ff
-------------------
Players: 12

b)
3 gutter runners
2 storm vermin
2 throwers
7 line rats
3 rerolls
1 ff
------------------
Players: 14

c)
3 gutter runners
2 storm vermin
1 thrower
7 line rats
4 rerolls
2ff
-----------------
Players: 13

I would be grateful for suggestions with reasons. I am leaning towards choice a) because I get every positional player and 4 rerolls. Also having maximum gutter runners increases the chance that some will get skills, and in my mind they are the chief playmakers. Thanks in advance!
Covertfun

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess a) looks good to me, too, but it's a shame your FF has to be so low in all of them.

If you went with a) but dropped one thrower in favour of having 9 FF, that'd be my quick tip.

Even in a short league, FF makes a difference, and Skaven can really benefit from the occasional Get The Ref. Wink
Doowa

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I would never start a team with low FF. Especially not a team with AV7 that will need cash to buy new players.

My prefered skaven start team is;
2 SV, 1 thrower, 3 GRs, 5 linerats, 3 RR, 8 FF.

A more bashy team could be
2 SV, 3 GRs, 5 linerats, 1 RO, 2 RR, 8FF.
With the new WA rules a Rat Ogre ain't that bad Smile

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

The third is my preferred one. Smile

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

In this league there is NO winnings and players are healed automatically at the end of each match. Whatever team I pick is the same for each game, except I gain two skills each game. Thats why ff is unimportant.
dertre

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

not that unimportant for exta rerrols, pitch invasion, rocks and al these kick off table stuff
lord_real

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

As he said "There is also NO winnings" then ff is almost unimportant (except for the kick off results concerning fan factor).

There is some really good ones that uses fan factor so put all loose cash into fanfactor and hope that all your opponents have ff of 1. Smile

Use the a) alternative. You dont nead more players than 12 becuase injuries arent as big of a deal as it usually is (you dont have to bring in extra players to count for those missed and dead).
Squiggy

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Doowa wrote:

Especially not a team with AV7 that will need cash to buy new players.

Except it's for a real life tournament, and injuries are not carried over between games.

I would either go with Covertfun's suggestion for choice "a", or take choice "b", dropping the extra thrower to get 8ff. The problem I have with the first suggestion is that starting with only 11 players, and armour 7, you run the risk of having a few players in the injury box for the rest of your match, even if they recover for the next game.

With the second choice, you have the buffer of 2 extra players, who can replace injured players in the same game. Also, there's the bonus of starting with 13 players, which as any skaven player knows, is their lucky number!

Although, B dropping a thrower would be the same as D dropping a reroll. Either way, you should only need one thrower, who will generally stay at the back of the pack. If he gets injured, I'd rather have the option to relegate a gutter runner to a thrower than have a second thrower around "just in case".

As for having 4rr/2ff or 3rr/8ff, you have to weigh the pros and cons. sure, an extra reroll will come in handy in many cases, but quite often you will need those rerolls because of the kickoff results you didn't win because of your low fan factor. If you only take 1 or 2 ff, then you will automatically lose any kickoff roll to an opponent who took 7 or 8 ff. With 8ff, YOU could be the one automatically winning those kickoffs, or at least having a reasonable chance to win, and since you might even get a free reroll out of the deal, I think the extra ff is the better way to go.

Grod

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm. Interesting thoughts about fan factor. The tournament is 6 games long with 50 competitors, so to have a realistic chance of winning, I will need to win all 6 games. One bad pitch invasion could easily blow my chances in a match and thus the whole tournament. Now I am starting to think about a) except dump a reroll and have 8 fan factor. I still get a reserverve and all positional players. Three rerolls is still quite strong (especially with maximum positional players), and I am safeguarding against bad kick-off results. In 6 games, there is bound to be some crucial kick-off rolls.
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: May 03, 2004 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like any of the rosters. Unless you just have a bunch of gutter runner minitures that you need to use, I wouldn't start out with more than two, you are just giving up too much str on the pitch, and two will be fine for speed.

Also I would bring an apothicary, just in case one of your positions gets hit early in the match. You are going to be in trouble if you lose a SV too early so you are going to need that Apoth to help you out.

I would suggest

Code:

2 X Gutters      = 160,000
2 x Storm Vermin = 180,000
2 x Throwers     = 140,000
6 X Linerats     = 300,000
4 x RR's         = 240,000
Apothicary       = 50,000
3 FF             = 30,000
Total            = 1,100,000

That is 12 players, but if you want to take thirteen drop a RR and then take another LR and add a FF.

Asperon Thorn
 Jump to: