56 coaches online • Server time: 23:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Waiting4Mish

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I fundamentally don't understand how players who have played thousands of games can be bad sports win, lose or draw. It is the same minority that are just horrible to play against regardless of the result. Do they not understand the game they're playing?

Show some basic humility and empathy. If someone is winning or has more control of the game it is not entirely down to dice. There is another player who has made decisions and those decisions worked out. Why would anyone but a sociopath say that the whole result was down to dice? Do you not realise you're playing another human being?

There are some lovely players who completely destroy your team from turn 1 to 16 and it's still fun to play. Then there are others that somehow have the cognitive dissonance to bemoan their luck literally seconds after the other player failed an unlikely dice roll. Do they genuinely lack basic self-awareness?

It's like some coaches are just incapable of imagining a universe where the other player played well. Or incapable of living in this one without making every game a chore.
badger89

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder how this is aim at

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm happy for you or sorry that happened, couldn't be bothered to read the post
Waiting4Mish

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

badger89 wrote:

I think if people started guessing the same names would come up over and over.
badger89

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Waiting4Mish wrote:
badger89 wrote:

I think if people started guessing the same names would come up over and over.

I bet mine would crop up a lot haha

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

We're all learning at our own pace, and there are many aspects to this game, of which sportsmanship is an important one, but still just one. Go ahead and call out bad sportsmanship, but you should also be forgiving of it to some extent, as part of growth is making mistakes. Of course, just as with bad play, coaches ideally will tend to exhibit less bad sportsmanship over time, but also just as bad habits can play into a losing streak, these improvement curves aren't consistent or linear.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Because the only logical reason I would ever lose is because you consorted with some demonic entity to give me bad luck because my strategy is truly flawless. If we played a million times, I'd win 999,999 times but you sold your soul to dice me that one time.

At least if we ever played, I might say that.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

And I've absolutely been on the side that diced the other player. It didn't matter about coaching - it was so bad, on turn 1 of the first half, which was my offense, I threw an attrition fireball because I had already locked the win up (4 saurus and a kroxigor were already out of the game- not KO, completely out - yes only 3 were on LoS, and no, they weren't close enough for a quick snap to get extra blocks, and this was 2020 and I didnt have mutations)

Most games arent nearly that one sided, and people do consider many games to be a dicing when they are in fact coach skill. But every blue moon, that isnt the case.

Last edited by Nelphine on Jun 30, 2023 - 23:45; edited 2 times in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that the dice are the problem here.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't often visit the Zoo, but when I do, I always feed the Trolls.
wintergreen13

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It takes a lot of effort, mental and emotional, to pull back out of your head and consider things objectively during a game of BB. We are emotional creatures and events both within the game and very much removed from it all swirl around to create the mood we bring to the table. IRL these feelings are easier to mitigate because we can see the human being across the pitch from us, but online this interaction is abstracted, making the work of self-reflection within the moment even harder.

Obviously this does not extend to any kind of verbal abuse or insult-slinging - that is absolutely unacceptable. But I try to approach interactions with my opponent by offering as much grace for their circumstances as I can muster up at that moment, even when they bemoan their bad luck while completely dicing me Smile
Mingoose

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2023 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

My general philosophy is that roll playing makes both sides of the equation better. Your dice don’t suck, your players do. You didn’t roll snake eyes. your blitzer is a bum and needs extra training. You didn’t recover a single KO out of 6 because the beer wenches were too attractive, not because your dice suck. Complain about your players not your dice and the dynamic is so much nicer. On the flip side, if your opponent pulls off an uphill POW on your ball carrier, it may sting less if you think about it as an incredible play and not as an improbable dice event.
badger89

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The fact is it's an improbable dice event.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Mingoose wrote:
My general philosophy is that roll playing makes both sides of the equation better. Your dice don’t suck, your players do. You didn’t roll snake eyes. your blitzer is a bum and needs extra training. You didn’t recover a single KO out of 6 because the beer wenches were too attractive, not because your dice suck. Complain about your players not your dice and the dynamic is so much nicer. On the flip side, if your opponent pulls off an uphill POW on your ball carrier, it may sting less if you think about it as an incredible play and not as an improbable dice event.

I completely agree with you. But many seen to deny that there is any roll play element to this game.
It is a pure strategy game to them.

There are no players. There are only pieces.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

But point taken I need to look that the game as it the player fail not mine haha

Last edited by badger89 on Jul 01, 2023 - 00:07; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: