32 coaches online • Server time: 18:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2014 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

16 Teams, only 1 team type allowed, teams are selected at random per coach (necessitating that each coach entering have 1 of each type of team), single elimination knockout tourney.

Alternate: 24 teams, 8 division x 3 team Round Robin leading to single 8 team single elimination knockout tournament.

The basic premise is you don't get to choose who you play as as a way of spicing up the challenge of the tourney. Also a possible benefit of handicapping certain coaches with certain races though only a soft handicap due to randomness of team assignment. Also, we get to see every team type which allows for spectating fun.

A lot of what I enjoy in computer gaming is roguelikes where you adapt to your environment and inherent attributes (think Faster Than Light and Rogue Legacy) and initial randomness determining outcomes.

I'm not going to say that I am up to running this kind of tourney at this point in time but I could be in the future. I am definitely up for participating from day 1.

Last edited by mrt1212 on Nov 22, 2014 - 07:45; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2014 - 07:22 Reply with quote Back to top

And for those wondering about Highlander...its a reference to "there can be only one" from the movies and TV show of the same name. Great concept for anything that has teams/classes/etc
Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2014 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Fyi, there's already an active League (~2 dozen active coaches) that uses "Highlander" as its tag.

3DB Highlander League

In case you care.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2014 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh nice, I recall seeing some blog stuff and forum stuff about it. I think a tourney would be fun solely because you could hypothetically have at least 1 per month.
 Jump to: