60 coaches online • Server time: 22:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2014 - 21:26
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

In an ideal world, these should be recorded in 96k 32 bit to have a proper master recording of each sound, and then re-render them in something like OGG (and include an OGG decoder library in the client) in order to limit file size.

If 32 bit 96kHz isn't available in the recording device, just use the highest possible one as there's no compelling reason to keep file size down in a master recording.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2014 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
In an ideal world, these should be recorded in 96k 32 bit to have a proper master recording of each sound, and then re-render them in something like OGG (and include an OGG decoder library in the client) in order to limit file size.

If 32 bit 96kHz isn't available in the recording device, just use the highest possible one as there's no compelling reason to keep file size down in a master recording.

Sounds good, and I can go up as much as 192kHz 32 bit and I believe I have the capability of OGG output native from Cubase LE.

Kalimar sent me a PM with the sounds in them and I told him I'll go through and take a gander and see whats what and what can be done.
xyon

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2014 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
xyon wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
xyon wrote:
I don't see what that has to do with this but oh well Smile

Sorry, I may have missed the point. However when some coaches have a signature that has a stronger message than the post, I tend to get distracted.

My request might be simple, but its a quality of life issue as far as the FFB client goes that many people have issues with, its a subtle nuance that effects everyone, and while it doesnt effect gameplay it effects the user experience, which I think is important too. If you cant see that then maybe you have been looking at the wrong things for too long.

I think harvestmouse's point says more about your signature than it does about your post. (though with HM, you never know Wink )

Should I take that as a compliment then? I know I have the best signiture on the site, but that shouldnt negate my other posts? hehe

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Hey Xyon you need to change your sig son, I never said anything vaguely like that!
minenbonnie

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2014 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

i might be able to go into a soundstudio and record whatever you want to have. im not going to charge any buyouts Razz
Christer

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2014 - 23:50
FUMBBL Staff

mrt1212 wrote:
Kalimar sent me a PM with the sounds in them and I told him I'll go through and take a gander and see whats what and what can be done.

I went through the files very quickly in Audacity (free audio app) and converted to 44.1kHz, 16 bit, Normalised to -1dB max volum, removed the DC component in some files and exported to OGG. Kalimar has these resulting files to do tests with, but it's still only so much that can be done with 8 bit 22kHz source material.

If he can get these to run relatively easily in the new client, it'd be an easier task to replace the sounds with higher quality content if you guys can come up with some.

I noticed that the 8 bit wav files caused some distortion when playing around with some java code of my own, and this distortion was completely eliminated with the .ogg files (I used a library called TinySound and the jorbis ogg library to play these updated files).

Let's see how things go, and hopefully we can come up with something that is more reliable and easy on your ears Smile
sann0638

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, if only some *other* game controllers were this responsive!

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

New version 1.2.4 deployed. This has an all new sound system based on a small Java library Christer has digged up. All sounds are 16bit OGG files now. Please check if this works better for you...

There are new ChatCommands in test mode, such as /sounds lists all teh available sounds and /soud <name> plays a sound out of that list.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no sound when activating or moving at the moment.
The sounds that are there are definitely better.
I've said it before but wow you guys are amazing, thanks!!!

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
There is no sound when activating or moving at the moment.
The sounds that are there are definitely better.
I've said it before but wow you guys are amazing, thanks!!!

yup I can 2nd this player activation sound and moving sound are missing

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Fixed broken sounds, sorry. How is the volume issue and distortion now?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

a sound booth would be lovely but its not vital, you can usuaully isolate and remove the ambient noise, static and so on without too much trouble

Actually, I tend to think stadium sounds should be really rough, have a very open 'crowded' feel to it.. like in a public place... I think anything that isolates a sound and makes it 'clean' is counterproductive..
sound should be dirty like ocean waves..
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

you have to clean them up wreckage otherwise when people have the volume high it will turn in a crackling or hissing noise. If you want the SFX to sound rough you can distort sound, add effects and so on, but the quality of the recording its self needs to be clean or cleaned up.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 15:55
FUMBBL Staff

I'm also very interested in hearing if the volume and distortion issues are resolved with these updates. Kalimar effectively replaced the whole sound engine and all sounds with this change, so things are certainly different now.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

No distortion now at the lower levels.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2014 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Is the client less LOUD now?
Can you configure it to your needs (e.g. is the volume setting working for you)?
 Jump to: