46 coaches online • Server time: 11:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

i got a tablet recently, i can run fumbbl on it natively

testgame screenshot here:

http://img20.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-226/loc370/27417_IMG_20141217_205206503_HDR_122_370lo.jpg

tablet is £80
http://www.ebuyer.com/664723-linx-7-windows-8-tablet-pc-linx7
or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-inch-Tablet-storage-Windows/dp/B00O636WJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418931886&sr=8-1&keywords=Linx+7

pros:
quad core atom processor
1gb ram (not much)
32gb onboard storage
microSD card slot, takes up to 64gb micro SDXC
micro HDMI out, can connect to monitor or telly in the same way a laptop can
micro USB for charging
includes micro USB OTG cable that lets you plug full size USB devices in like a proper mouse
bluetooth 4.0 also for kb/mouse
1280x800 touchscreen display
wifi
full version of windows 8.1 (not RT) and 1 year of office 365

cons:
screen isnt very good (its a bad picture of it too)
no 3G/4G data, though i can tether via my mobile's 4G connection
bit flimsy construction
bit slow due to low power cpu and only 1gb ram

still, its a £80 computer running full windows, that fits in my jacket pocket (7" version)
8" version is £100, 10" version is £150 - same screen res and specs just bigger

i know a lot of people have been always wanting to play fumbbl on tablet
i got this to watch video on the train, and its more useful as a windows machine than a crappy android tablet woulda been - i can run more programs etc on it

i wouldnt recommend playing fumbbl though UNLESS you have a mouse (either usb or bluetooth) AND wifi connection - i've played via tethered connection on my pc using my phone for data when my ADSL was out, and u disconnect all the time etc

disconnecting is annoying for you, but worse for opponent. please be considerate to opponents and dont use this to play while travelling, the game will just suck
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

oh and, u can see i've got a shell icon for start menu button because practically the first thing i did was install classic shell

u can also switch off the metro interface, making windows 8.1 basically the same as windows 7 - ie usable
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I made a blog post to the same effect - its conceptually feasible but the experience isn't nearly as good as you'd hope I'd hoped it would be.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

ah, didnt see that
image is broken, won't bother to fix if this isnt news
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to know it's possible, but hopefully a better, tablet friendly App can be released so we can play on the go a little better. Hate having to drag my laptop around
huff

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

thank you sir.. i will prolly be buying one, a surface is quite expensive for me right now.
albinv

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting news! But why the heck does it run on this tablet and not on other windows 8 handheld devices?

Probably coming down to specific java implementations on those devices i guess? Well anyhow, good there is one device working at least. Tempting indeed.

You recommend a mouse. Whats the problem with the touchscreen? Does it produce misclicks or is it just inconvenient (like having to repeat certain clicks before they get accepted)?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

is this down to the new client?

I HAVE NO IDEA BUT I LIKE IT

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

albinv wrote:
Interesting news! But why the heck does it run on this tablet and not on other windows 8 handheld devices?

Probably coming down to specific java implementations on those devices i guess? Well anyhow, good there is one device working at least. Tempting indeed.

You recommend a mouse. Whats the problem with the touchscreen? Does it produce misclicks or is it just inconvenient (like having to repeat certain clicks before they get accepted)?

It is all about Java support.

In my experience the problem was both mislicks and actually getting getting the possible different moves menu (like Block, Blitz, Foul, Move) to open up and not automatically engage a specific selection immediately. I tried a touch pen too ability but it was still daunting at times. I also primarily use a keyboard for action inputs so having to go all mouse slowed me down a bit.
albinv

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that doesnt sound too promising on the touchscreen topic. Ill probably stick to the pc then.
Id be interested to actually hold the thing in my hand for a "TT-feel" and better ergonomics (read: being able to slouch on the coach in all laziness whilest playing some BB) but with a mouse, personally i can as well stick with my laptop then.

Thx for the input!
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

its just the really small size of a 7" screen means 1 player takes up only a square maybe 5mm x 5mm, so you have high chance of fatfinger

i just did a test game vs myself on pc, played couple of turns didnt screw anything up. but it'd also be much slower than using a mouse, and we all know that slow opponents are annoying

interesting thing about this tablet for me is that its so cheap and small, yet runs full version of windows
its cheap because microsoft paniced about being undercut in low end of market by $200 chromebooks, so on budget devices they now give away free "windows 8.1 with bing" which means OEM can make budget tablets and $200 laptops like the HP stream 11, the 'with bing' part means its free so long as they agree to not install chrome. (user can though)
 Jump to: