51 coaches online • Server time: 17:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The best option is to join a league like Rush & Pass. If you cannot find one that suits you then create your own league.

Trying to legislate for stalling is hopeless. There are so many ways around it.

What you need is a league of like minded people.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I think the best anti stalling method goes:

1: Put one player into a position where you can theoretically blitz the ball carrier (even if it's very unlikely)

2: Commit any engaging players to gang-fouling the nearest available player. If more than one target then best player first.

If you have enough players for a decent gang foul on some some non rookie player then you probably have enough to prevent the stall in the first place.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Stall all opposents!
cdassak

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl would be a different game without stalling.
A worse game imho...

Last edited by cdassak on %b %28, %2014 - %16:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
albinv

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

A grinder must know how to apply pressure (= prevent being stalled himself).

There is more in a lot of 2:1 matches than some coaches realize imho.
fidius

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

A few other options I can think of:
1) permit subs for lost players to enter the pitch on say turn 4 of each half
2) change the length of game rules from 16 turns each to something else, ie "first to 2 scores."

There are ways to stall tactically, and ways to stall like a dick, and it's sometimes hard to tell which is which. The one I hate most is the Turn 1 Wood Elf Blitz! 8-turn stall -- I once let a guy camp for 8 turns on purpose because I figured if he was so willing to be a dick so early in the game he'd be no fun to hang out with for an hour anyway. Stalling vs Flings and etc. feels wrong as well but depends on the situation. Stalling on the 2-0 score is questionable imo. Stalling to get a miserable game over with is a reasonable play. Stalling for the tie feels cowardly (although I lost a match recently because I refused to do this).

Generally speaking I'd say coaches who stall egregiously find more joy in simply winning than in playing the game, which is sad but very common in anonymous internet circles.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

the best way to beat stalling is to blitz the ballcarrier.

I can't tell you how many games I've won or tied as a direct result of the other coach mindlessly stalling.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

i like stalling,you always has a chance to get your hands on the ball.And in te case that not ,i won games due the point that the opponent forget to check the turn marker:)
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 23:09
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As a mainly str based coach I like this idea. But then anything that would harm elf tactics while not affecting str based teams at all gets traction with me.

As a str coach it's rare I'm stalling in reach for more than 1 -3 turns anyway, and I can just as easily stall out of range for a few turns, on the half way line, then move into range. For elves they would have to try and backfield stall, as they couldn't cage at the end zone with tiered defence, nor swap sides at the end zone without this rule affecting them. So they would have to backfield stall , moving all the ball moving risk to the end of the half and allowing easier ball pressure.

It would also move us further away from actual sport, which would only be good right? I'm currently visiting the USA and have been watching the 'sports' here. In both basketball and steroid chess ( I think they call it throwball or something) teams notably stall and control the clock to try to win and/or secure the win. Even watching actual sports, like my beloved Arsenal playing football, they stall and waste time when in winning positions. So this would surely help BB be less like a sport, which is cool right?

Finally, how dare anyone try to win the game by playing to their strengths. Surely all coaches realise that it is my right to win, and then stalling and placing themselves on a winning position is THEIR fault and makes them an arse. It is definately not my job tto make the stall risky, or pressure it, or do anything at all except expect them to let me win by giving me the ball back.

So let's amend the rules to prevent such cheesy attempts at playing successfully. Why should I have to learn tactics and sound play. Better players should be limited so I can win.

(caution, post may contain mild sarcasm)

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplechest took an axe
And gave his inlaws...

Hang in there PC. You can make it. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

It will also destroy Goblins tactics btw. Not being able to stall to keep the weapons in is like a punishment.
And dont get me started about the rotten system and the rotten refs that always eject the weapons in the first place...

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2014 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Smile PC

Hope the Washington rain isn't too depressing...

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Reel gobbo koachez dunt use wepunz
paradocks

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the only way to prevent stalling from being so popular would be to introduce a "start of turn event table" which would be similar to the kick-off table where volatile and unpredictable events could mess a stall up.

Keep in mind this suggestion is from the mind of a deranged 2nd edition loving lunatic
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:
I think the only way to prevent stalling from being so popular would be to introduce a "start of turn event table" which would be similar to the kick-off table where volatile and unpredictable events could mess a stall up.

Keep in mind this suggestion is from the mind of a deranged 2nd edition loving lunatic

Well the 3rd edition cards could act like that since they were so powerful they could often stop a TD cold. Even a rubbish card could stop a stall due to the threat factor.

However they added such a random element that it really broke the game.

Jump to: