46 coaches online • Server time: 15:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling usually happens due to poor defence (the odd decimation aside). The simple way to prevent it? Defend better! The OP mentions stalling in sub-legend games. This happens because of sub-legend defence.

And to give practical advice: use defence-in-depth not a Maginot line. E.g. try using mutiple deep sweepers.

Oscar Wilde
xyon

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I think things like winnings or fanfactor rolls could be based off of the total number of touchdowns scored, and the difference in the number of touchdowns scored, rather than whether you won or not, instead of having some 'check' to see if the player can score and requiring the player to score or have some consequence.

Incentivise more touchdowns being scored in order to discourage stalling.

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Hey Xyon you need to change your sig son, I never said anything vaguely like that!
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:
paradocks wrote:
I think the only way to prevent stalling from being so popular would be to introduce a "start of turn event table" which would be similar to the kick-off table where volatile and unpredictable events could mess a stall up.

Keep in mind this suggestion is from the mind of a deranged 2nd edition loving lunatic

Well the 3rd edition cards could act like that since they were so powerful they could often stop a TD cold. Even a rubbish card could stop a stall due to the threat factor.

However they added such a random element that it really broke the game.

Noooo! They made the game! Playing boring, safety first bloodbowl was a less powerful tactic in 3rd ed - and that is one of the main reasons why 3rd ed actually produced the best matches IMO.
Grod

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed - the single best game mechanic is the turnover rule.

Oscar Wilde
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

xyon wrote:
Well I think things like winnings or fanfactor rolls could be based off of the total number of touchdowns scored, and the difference in the number of touchdowns scored, rather than whether you won or not, instead of having some 'check' to see if the player can score and requiring the player to score or have some consequence.

The reward for scoring more frequently is often having the other guy shred your team. Thats one of the main the reasons why I stall, it protects my team.

If my opponent didnt get to make 4 hits on my guys with his most dangerous players every time I scored I would have a different approach.
xyon

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
xyon wrote:

The reward for scoring more frequently is often having the other guy shred your team. Thats one of the main the reasons why I stall, it protects my team.

If my opponent didnt get to make 4 hits on my guys with his most dangerous players every time I scored I would have a different approach.

Certainly, you should weigh the benefits of not being blocked as much vs the benefits of gaining more rewards for scoring a lot.

I feel to make the game more interesting, scoring more should have more benefit than just the 3 spp, because there is the penalty of being set up to be bashed again.

I think stalling is a fine tactic, but there should be other rewards set up to make not stalling seem more worthwhile. And it will be up to the players to decide whether to keep stalling or not.

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Hey Xyon you need to change your sig son, I never said anything vaguely like that!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't read through the entirety of it but I found the most simple way to prevent stalling would be to not allow more than 1 td per half... ie to just click turn for the rest of the half after somebody scored..
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

1st - Lengthen the pitch so that 1 turning is no longer possible (except via TTM) and 2 turning is more difficult.

THEN talk to me about nerfing stalling.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

How about using the option 0 players required on LoS?

I'll have to try that one day. Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Has stalling gotten worse since without deathzone special play cards? No sense stalling if there might be a landmine in the endzone...

Oscar Wilde
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 06:34 Reply with quote Back to top

A wizard on hand does make stalling risky.

Yay inducements!
BrianVanLe

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
1st - Lengthen the pitch so that 1 turning is no longer possible (except via TTM) and 2 turning is more difficult.

THEN talk to me about nerfing stalling.

What he said. If you're going to steer the game towards a specific style, you cannot give a marked advantage to a specific team type. Bashy teams work slower, they may stall so that they can keep the game within their scoring "capabilities". Less bashy, yet slower teams may stall so that they take on less hits. Teams with a marked AG/MV advantage would love to see the field open up. Not to sound too snarky, but if you are losing to a specific tactic, listen to previous posts and learn from the stall/OTS/etc. Or try a fluffy league.
Roland

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Didn't read through the entirety of it but I found the most simple way to prevent stalling would be to not allow more than 1 td per half... ie to just click turn for the rest of the half after somebody scored..

all games 1-1 yay! Razz
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread makes my brain bleed Wink

Stalling is what makes this game tic . Sure it can be dull on occasion but managing the clock to score in turn 8 is where 90% of the tactics stem from. Without stalling elves would win every game near enough. Removing stalling is like saying elves are no longer allowed to dodge when they could block, or that khemri must play a passing game. And so on Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2014 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of lengthing the pitch, because 1 turn touchdowns are too cheesy. Except throw team mate attempts.
 Jump to: