39 coaches online • Server time: 11:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Six of the Best - Round 1

Right!

Round one is already well underway, and there are so many interesting matches to choose from to talk about! I've whittled the wonderful Blood Bowl on show down to a selection of six games to highlight, some of which have already taken place (but you should watch on replay), and some of which are yet to come!

Image[NAF] Tholgorond Swordspiders Flix 2 v 1 Cowhead Visitor QImage

An interesting game this; a rock solid, Legend coached Dwarvern team against the ever excellent Flix and his DE. With the Dwarves receiving and scoring an early KO, this could have been a very long afternoon for the Elves. As it was, Flix went aggressive with his Wrestle Witch Elf early, and the game became a real roller-coaster. I'll not spoil the highlights, but with two Blitz! kickoff results, no turn 8 touchdowns and a lot of the ball hitting the deck, this made for a well coached, standout encounter. 2-1, one to relive in your own time!

ImageMongrel Horde WC III magictobe v happygrue ImageRats Will Funk You up

This is an absolutely fascinating clash; on the one hand, we have magictobe, well known Belgian tabletop coach (part of the recent Eurobowl's organisation team - but brand new to FUMBBL) sporting a rock solid, standard Undead build (going for 4 Ghouls this time). On the other, a cracking coach and FUMBBL stalwart in happygrue, entering an interesting wrinkle to Skaven in Skitter. Will conventional logic or something a bit different win out here? I'll be interested to see how magictobe takes to online play, and conversely, how grue's build stacks up in this environment. This may well come down to how the Rat armour holds; if they stick around, that extra pace may be very tough to pin down.

ImageLadz on da Road Joemanji 1 v 1 Strider84 Image[RES] Weicheier

A game between two of the Stunty Cup favourites. I've already spoken about Strider's chances, and Joemanji (NAFC supremo) knows his way around the astrogranite as well. The game turned into yet another entertaining up and down affair; the game started as it meant to go on with Ripper scoring a CAS on block one, only to then be immediately dispatched by a Bomber Dribblesnot bomb followed by a swift Snotling foul! \o/

Rain, TTMs and a draw eventually secured with one Troll and two Goblins remaining makes this a very memorable game. Get on that replay!

ImageBouzzy pilous bouzzy v sebco ImageWoody Wood Stripers

This is an exciting clash. NAFC 2014 finalist bouzzy opens his campaign against the worst possible opponent for Lizards, Wood Elves. He must be cursing the Swiss algorithm! Both rosters are absolutely out of the textbook, but interestingly, the Woodies are saving a Wardancer for Mighty Blow during games 4-6. I just wonder if this will be vital here; perhaps Tackle or Frenzy now would make this more favourable (two Wardancers troubling ball handling Skinks with extra skills are better than one) in this game. bouzzy knows what time it is, and he will no doubt have something up his sleeve for the Woodies he would have to have faced eventually to win. A critical game early in the piece for both coaches.

ImageLynnhaven Leeches Gaixo v sann0638 ImageLong and (Side)winding Road

This represents an all NAF staff encounter as our tournament director faces our media officer. Both rosters are unusual, with Chaney facing off against Sidewinder. Two re-rolls is not very many for the only Vampire team in the draw, but conversely, the High Elves are sporting little Dodge. Game on? This will be a real 1 avoidance fest potentially featuring a few short turns, and whomever rolls fewer dice is likely to triumph. 6 games, 4 Vampires, 2 re-rolls. That is a long 96 turns, if you ask me, but fortune favours the brave. Perhaps Pro will help a bit, but I'd not want to be a Thrall on that team!

ImageRTTNAFC is New Deal Spartako v WotfudboyImagePlunder Dogs

Ask and you shall receive! Spartako is on a real high at the moment, winning the individual prize at the recent Eurobowl, no mean feat. He's sporting Orcs here, which can be seen as a little slow and unresponsive, but Spartako has a great record with them. He has a really tough first round against FUMBBL (and occasional tabletop) veteran Wotfudboy, who has brought Necro that are well placed to make life difficult. Spartako has interestingly spurned Block on Black Orcs for the first three games, which means blocking may be troublesome. However; two Guard may limit Wotfud's blocks and awful lot, and he'll really have to make use of that extra pace to get a result here. This may have been a better game for Wotfud game 4 with a MB Wolf, but I would not put victory past him.

Here we go then, into the meat of the draw. What's your big encounter?

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %17, %2015 - %18:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
sann0638

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

For a full fixture list - click here: http://www.thenaf.net/2015/01/rttnafc-round-1/

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Great write up goo! Slight typo in the Joemanji / Strider match, as it turns out I'm not coaching the ogres. Wink I did think about it though... maybe next time. Very Happy I was also looking at hilariously bad vampire builds, but I'm glad I didn't go with one because now if I lose a game I can wholeheartedly throw my fanship behind the sole vampire coach, Gaixo, to win the whole thing on sheer pluck! Good luck, sir!

If anyone knows magictobe IRL, drop him a line and tell him we're on!

Tournaments! \o/

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I took 3 vamps + chaney last year and it was a lot of fun. Playing flings was always scary as they ate my RRs! Great fun though. I almost took them to this.

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Oops, sorry about that. Code everywhere, it dazzles the eyes. Hope it's fixed.

Good luck with the Rats! Smile
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

How do we sign up for the NAF?

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Great read i have to admit.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
I took 3 vamps + chaney last year and it was a lot of fun. Playing flings was always scary as they ate my RRs! Great fun though. I almost took them to this.

Originally I debated putting morg on the roster for 110% madness, but it just too thin. I was less than an hour from deadline and almost went with Chaney, 4 vamps, 7 thralls and 2 RR, but I was really agonizing over 2 or 3 or 4 trying to squeeze extra thralls out of a very hard stone... and then just threw up my arms and went rats. Maybe next time. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird wrote:
How do we sign up for the NAF?

member.thenaf.net Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:

Originally I debated putting morg on the roster for 110% madness, but it just too thin.

Someone on the NAF circuit plays a team called morg.org, which is Morg plus 11 linemen of whatever team Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
happygrue wrote:

Originally I debated putting morg on the roster for 110% madness, but it just too thin.

Someone on the NAF circuit plays a team called morg.org, which is Morg plus 11 linemen of whatever team Smile

Awesome! My roster of morg plus 1 vamp to gaze for him sounds like a dynamite team in comparison. Wink If we have enough of these events you can bet I'll mix some crazy in there. Kudos to all those aiming for the stunty cup, or with other fun rosters.

BTW, sann - if you want to make your signature banner link to somewhere (http://www.thenaf.net/ for example): you can do that by pasting this code in your signature block:

Code:

[url=http://www.thenaf.net/][img]https://naf-id.appspot.com/naf_id/nafId?n=8866&h=50&w=1400&s=2[/img][/url]

Which will look like this:

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ta. Thought I tried that before and it didn't work. Ah well. Back on-topic (kinda), we're having a NAF-off on Thursday evening, Tournament Director v Media Officer! Eldril v Vamps!

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

slightly back off topic... are those NAF banners still available on the NAF forum? I only read FUMBBL's forum unless someone links to others... TFF is just too big to "catch-up" with...

Thanks and sorry for wandering :p

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes they are, here.

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks noel Smile