30 coaches online • Server time: 02:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 02:26 Reply with quote Back to top

There are 14 Norse teams in this year's inaugural Road to the NAFC tournament, and no two of them are identical. (Though Sizzler's Crows of Loki and Hissa-lives' Dyfrandi Dunderheads differ only in skills, and in that one has an apo and the other has babes...) Coaches have disagreed over how many positionals to take, how many overall players to add to the roster, what skills to give out to whom, and more. Let's look at the most popular choices for Norse.

A Snow Troll made an appearance on 9 of the 14 rosters in the tournament. Every one of those trolls picked up a skill, with 7 of them gaining mighty blow and 2 of them learning to block circa game 4.

The Ulfwerener was the most popular positional, with 12 coaches taking the full complement of 2, one taking 1 and only MerryZ's KaukovainioGhettoBoys omitting them entirely. Giving them block was a very popular choice, with 16 of them gaining the skill, but 5 took guard instead.

Finishing up the frenzy positions, the Berserker was also popular, with 11 coaches taking 2, though the other 3 omitted them entirely. Every one of the Berserkers got a skill: 8 took tackle, 8 mighty blow and 6 guard.

While Berserkers were an all-or-nothing proposition, more than half (8/14) of coaches took exactly 1 runner, with the remaining 6 evenly split between bringing 2 and omitting them entirely. 7 of the runners got dodge, while 5 picked up sure hands and the remaining 2 learned to tackle.

The much-maligned Norse thrower appeared on only 3 rosters, serving as a leader caddy on 2 of those 3. Mawph's Nordic Falcons gave their thrower sure hands.

An average of 1 lineman per team got a skill. In 6 cases, that skill was guard, and doubles mighty blow and leader also made appearances. PeteW's unconventional Frenzy to Nottingham team gave two linos frenzy, making 8 total on his aptly named team, two other teams picked up a dirty player, and kick and tackle were picked once each.

Almost half of all teams rostered a star player, with three going for Boomer Eziasson and two making the deep cuts to afford Wilhelm Chaney. (In one of Boomer's appearances so far, he threw an intercepted bomb which resulted in multiple players knocked off the pitch.) Sorry, Icepelt, not this year.

Overall, 10 of the 14 teams had 12 players (including stars). Only ahalfling's Johann Sebastian Block lives dangerously with 11. Two coaches have rostered 13, and MerryZ is well-stocked with 14, though one of those is the secret weapon Eziasson.

Teams averaged two and a half (non-leader) rerolls, with everyone taking 2 or 3 except PeteW with 0 and Calcium's Gordon's ALIVE! loading up on 4.

Five teams took apothecaries, somewhat surprisingly given the non-progression nature of the tournament. Inducements were relatively uncommon, with two babes, three cheerleaders, four assistant coaches, 2 fan factor and one bribe scattered among the teams. (The bribe going to MerryZ's team, which should find plenty of use for it between the dirty player and Boomer...)

Only time will tell which of these builds will bring its coach glory... if any. But one thing's certain... a lot of people have a lot of ideas about what a Norse team looks like.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Good stuff! Interesting variety.
Stonetroll

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah nice read, hope you are doing more races too. I can do chaos, since its a pretty short list. Both GenepX HéruKas and xnoelx NAFty Boys are rocking the identical skip apo for 3rd reroll build. Only difference is in skill choices, as HéruKas are trusting the claw minotaur and block warriors to bash stuff up, while NAFty Boys save their double for a block mino and go for more ball-oriented stuff with wrestle and surehands.

My own team HarsH NAF Boys are looking sweet in their Slaaneshi outfits and slightly more resilient with the apo on roster. All normal rolls are spent on mutations and the double on leader to get the magic 3rd reroll. While Fumblers are no strangers to the power of tentacles on developed teams, it is still undoubtedly a gimmick team in this format Razz
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice read.

There is some very small diversity between the two Chaos Pact teams. Same basic rosters, filled slots of Big Guys, DE and gobbo with 7 Marauders. The only differens is 2 RRs + Star chainsaw wielder vs 3 RRs + 1 ff + CL + AC. Skills are quite different. The only same skill is dodge on the DE.

So far the CP teams have won 100 % of their games.
sonrises

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice read!
It brings light on team creation tactics. Very useful for coaches, like me, who "resurrection" is completely new.

It would be nice other races writings. Keep it up.
Stonetroll

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Will see what we can do, I'm not a legitimate TT pro either and the more popular races will be much more work to analyze. But if we get enough coaches making these maybe the workload wouldn't be too much.
Strider84

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll do some tracking of the Stunty cup then:

4 ogres
9 gobos
6 Fling
1 Skink

20 contestants.

Details coming up.

Current Stunty score: 4/2/8
sonrises

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Strider84 wrote:

4 ogres
9 gobos
6 Fling
1 Skink

20 contestants.

Details coming up.

thx mate!
Stonetroll

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Then I'm calling dibs on the chaotics; vanilla (chaos), nurgle, pact and CD. Most of them are low workload except the cdorks.

Last edited by Stonetroll on %b %19, %2015 - %15:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

sonrises wrote:
Strider84 wrote:

4 ogres
9 gobos
6 Fling
1 Skink

20 contestants.

Details coming up.

thx mate!

Go go! But remember Skinks are not considered a Stunty team here.
Strider84

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

So here the Stunty breakdown: so far (4/3/8 ) (5)

Ogres (1/1/1) (1 not played yet)

6 Ogres, 10 snots, 1 rr; 2po, 2bt, jug, leader (0/0/0)
5 Ogres, 11 snots, 2 rr, bomber, 3bt, 2g, leader (0/0/1)
5 Ogres, 9 snots, 1 rr, scrappa sorehead, 3po, 2bt, L (1/0/0)
4 Ogres, 11 snots, 3rr, bomber, apo, 2bt, g, block, 2 dt (0/1/0)

I seem to be the only one believing in only 4 ogres and apo Smile Grats to SzieberthAdam for winning the first game (against Christers Khemri in rain Smile)

Goblins (1/1/5) (2)

9 teams, all have 2 trolls, all but one have the fanatic, all but 2 the looney.
2 rippers => no bribes, all others have 2-3 bribes
3 fungus, 1 nobbla, 1 bomber and 2 wo any star player
Doubles are used on Block trolls (5), hmp bombers (3) and one dirty player!
Otherwise mostly guard, po, gr, bt on the trolls, dodge on the chainsaw, ss, dt or sure feet on the goblins.

Interesting setups:
ccSenor: 2 chainsaws, 2 trolls, 11 goblins, 2 bribes, 2 rr, apo, 2 po trolls => did bring the only win for goblins so far against dwarves! (congratulations)

joemanji: ripper+ 2 trolls, fanatic, 9 gob 3 rr (only one secret weapon, less randomness, needs more skill (which he has, believe me))

Halflings (2/1/1) (2)

All 6 teams have 2 trees, 2 rerolls and the Chef.
4 teams with Deeproot, 11 flings, 2 rr
1 with Zara + Babe, 10 flings
1 with Puggy and 13 flings => and 9! Fan Factor and ac/cl

Doubles: 2block trees, 1 block fling, but also 2 hmp and a kicker
other skills: guard, bt, grab on the trees, sf, ss, dt on the flings

2 wins and a tie already for the flings!

I like the standard setup and the zara setup, however, taking a babe and 2ff instead of 2 more flings is a pretty questionable call imo, but it seems to have worked out in the first game Smile also who wastes the double on hail mary pass, honestly!

Skinks (0/0/1)

1 Krox, 11 skinks, Hemlock, 2 rr, 1 ff, bt, 2ss and 2dc and hmp

Not really sure about the seriosity about this team build, but have fun with hmp and diving catch Smile

Current leaders:

19. phil78 flings 1/0/0 +3
27. ccSenor goblins 1/0/0 +2
32. SzieberthAdam Ogre 1/0/0 +2
44. Nightbird Flings 1/0/0 +-0

more after completion of round 1.

Ps i kept the skinks in just for fun.
sonrises

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice one! thx Strider84.

By the way Stonetroll, what race is vanilla?

i'll try to do 1 or 2 of the remaining races.

EDIT: I got it. vanilla is Chaos! Wink
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2015 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Great stuff!

ahalfling wrote:
But one thing's certain... a lot of people have a lot of ideas about what a Norse team looks like.

This is why Norse is such a great roster ... and why Amazons are not.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2015 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the chaotic breakdown for the rest of the races, vanilla chaos and pact have already been discussed shortly earlier in the thread.

Nurgle 2 teams

Both nurgz have almost identical rosters, perhaps showing again that teams with expensive players and rerolls have have little flexibility in the format. 12 players with 2 pestigors, beast and 4 warriors both. Mobile Bay Degenerates spend their remaining 20K on fan factor and going with 4 block warriors and extra arms on a pestigor instead of sure hands, and dodge on the other pesti. New England Putrients on the other hand go with coaching staff and a mix of block and guard for the warriors, with the odd pick of pro beast as the double, probably looking to make most of its mighty blow as well as to avoid crucial really stupid failures. In general both teams are quite similar to chaos in placing their trust on the st4 block positionals.

Chaos Dwarfs 13 teams

By far the most popular and varied chaotic team, there are all kinds of CD teams. In theory they have almost everything you could ask for, a violent big guy, dwarfs for tackling the pesty dodgers, cheap hobos for fouling/filler and fast & strong ballcarriers. However, the roster has some obvious and less obvious weaknesses too. There are 8 teams with a minotaur on roster, and almost all employ all 6 chaos dwarves and 2 bull centaurs.

One of them centaurless ones being an all-hobgoblin roster also known as Hobgoblin team TT, who are bringing the chainsaw wielding mayhem of Nobbla Blackwart and enough bribes to keep him going all game long. Dark Land Quake go the other way by replacing the centaur positionals with Htark the allegedly unstoppable and a 50/50 split of MB and guard on the dwarves. But at least in their first game it didn't go too well. Lastly, Uzkulak Unstoppables go with only 1 centaur in order to get to 3 rerolls and 3 ff. However, they also forgot to pick their starting skills, which might have made it possible for another Undead team to sweep them off the board with a 4-0 win in round 1.

Out of the teams without a minotaur, Mutant Beardies stands out the most to me. Featuring 12 players + apo instead of one extra hobo seems better for keeping the high value players around, and skill choices seem good too with surehands and block on bulls straight away, and a claw cdorf later on to go with the guard ones.

Lastly, the most popular team composition tends to include all positionals, but something has to be left out whether it is bench players, apo or team rerolls. Out of the 11 man rosters NAF Chaos Dwarfs by known fumbler duplesgallegos goes full glasscannon with 2 block bulls and a claw minotaur later on, and no apo in order to get to 3 rerolls. This is really the death or glory build. Another fumbbl legend fxii takes a different route with his team Charisme et Chataigne. Fielding 12 players but still no apo, they are a slight notch more durable. However skill choices show a more reserved approach, with a block reserved for the minotaur and your typical sweeper+ballcarrier bulls with surehands and break tackle respectively, with rest of the skills going to guarding up the blockers. Lastly, D.O.A. with the team Pizza Delivery is on the other end of the durability spectrum with 12 players and one of the few to include an apo, along with a full compliment of coaching staff and 1 ff. However, with a single reroll and more coming only coming in the later games with leader + surehands, they will be flirting with nuffle hoping to avoid catastrophic failure in the first games.

A special mention goes out to Vitorino of team Poowers for going with a guard pick. However, results cannot be argued with as they already cleared some goblins in round 1.
mawph

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2015 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to admit that the thrower made an appearance in my roster only as I had 20k kicking around once I'd finalised the rest of my build. With one (dodge) runner (day2) and my mind requesting the safety of SH, the thrower got them.

I also managed to draw PeteW's norse in round 1, and some nice dice and the safety of my skill choices helped decide things in my favour.
 Jump to: