14 coaches online • Server time: 04:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CoachBob

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Guys, ever since I joined fumbbl comunity I've been thinking about putting up a web page together dedicated to coaching orcs. I've kind of struggled ever the time coaching them, I've noticed that I need to be coached more as far as how to play my orcs goes.
And pretty sure that there are young and up-and-coming coaches who'd be interested in seing the best of the best coaches on here point things out, show tactics, formaton etc.
Would you be willing to support a web page like that?
Let me know.
Thank you!
CB
Lorion

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that should not be a problem, if U make sure that people are aware of the existence of your site. I would, however, advice that you learn blood bowl by playing IRl against an experienced coach. Futhermore strategy-tips are already to be many places on the web including fumbbl. Try reading those... and of course there is always the possibility to ask for strategy tips in the forums of fumbbl...

Good luck

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

yes I would, Orcs rule (or at least they should), I am the maker of the widely UN-known PlayCreator, which I think would work fine for exactly such a project (check it here)
CoachBob

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm more than willing to put links and screen shots, stats etc on the page im tryin to put together. The more stuff we can put on there the better. That would atleast elliminate the guess work by alot of orc loving coaches.
I want to do something that has never been done for me and that is help people learn more stuff about orcs bb wise.
CB
Colin

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

There is a page in the User Guide for the playing strategy of each race. Use that.

MixX wrote:
yes I would, Orcs rule (or at least they should), I am the maker of the widely UN-known PlayCreator, which I think would work fine for exactly such a project (check it here)

Put the link to it in your signature. It's listed in the User Guide, btw. Does it have documentation?
MixX

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
Put the link to it in your signature. It's listed in the User Guide, btw. Does it have documentation?

so it is! LoL I didn't think anyone really used it.. but I guess that's because the counter is on the main page, not the playcreator itself.. ah well
MixX

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

documentation? you mean a "how to use" section? nah but I guess I could write something up...
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

MixX wrote:
...LoL I didn't think anyone really used it...

Scoff! Scoff scoff scoffety scoff scoff scoff!

CHeck out Tim and I halfway down the page.

Here's the big question (which I'm too lazy to figure out myself): How do you make the URLs for specific links shorter!?! It breaks phpBB and is a bit of a pain. Smile

Gotta say, I do love the PlayCreator, however. Always thought it was quite spiffy.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

making the URL's shorter is something I've worked extensively on, the problem is that if I do so it will make all earlier links to the creator obsolete. Also it will require a complete rewrite of the load code, which so far has been above my abilities (I'm not that much of a code wiz). Another problem is that I sort of gave up on it some time ago and so I've forgotten lots of details, which makes starting again a daunting project. I might just start over completely, in a month or two when my holiday starts, during which I will have time for it.. dunno... Though I agree that the current length of the urls are quite intolerable and ultimately makes the whole thing very uninteresting.

A final note, the Talk Blood Bowl forum button should work equally well for the Fumbbl forums, since they're basically the same system..

cheers all!

Last edited by MixX on %b %06, %2004 - %21:%May; edited 1 time in total
MixX

Post   Posted: May 06, 2004 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

ps sorry for highjacking your thread CoachBob didn't mean to!
Vero

Post   Posted: May 07, 2004 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want shorter urls then tinyurl.com is your site. (Ok, won't probably help you MixX).
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 07, 2004 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I kill orcs. Orcs are scared by me...
Do not coach orcs... they might meet me and their ultimate defeat!!! Do not waste your time... go out and play!!!!

MWHAAHAHAHAhahahahaha...

Very Happy

...sorry, I'm in a strange mood today... Wink

A Orc Page? That's a good idea.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2004 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

There are lots of sites on the net that can make your lang URL's short. On notlong.com you can find a list of some of them. Google also gives you a lot of them.

The incredibly long link in in MixX page called EXAMPLE OF THE PLAY CREATOR 'IN ACTION' has a length of 2165 characters. When put through TinyURL it ends up as this nice one of 24 characters: http://tinyurl.com/2b4tv .

Edit:
Sad looks like I have to learn to type faster. Vero beat me
MixX

Post   Posted: May 07, 2004 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

have to take a look at this.. looks amazing if it can do what I want it to
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 07, 2004 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so not to drag this thread back onto topic, but here's an idea for CoachBob...

Got web space? Maybe 10MB came with your ISP or something, maybe you can bite the bullet and try Geocities or Freewebs, whatever the case. You could get some space on a server and start collecting whatever information, articles, links to MixX's fine play creator, etc... and some simple HTML will suddenly make you a One Stop Orc Shop®™. You can then advertise here in the forum, on TalkBloodBowl, in the UserGuide, etc...

Why, if you're really crass, you could even pimp your site in your .sig!

Jump to: