57 coaches online • Server time: 23:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BranMort

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2015 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

As per.. where does the tournament info say you will add my team to the main tournament and what the timescale is? No communication, bad management.
Arcon

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2015 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The winner of each of these qualifiers will gain an extra MVP and be admitted into the prestigious final tournament as long as they play no more than 3 games after playing their qualifier final.

I would suggest to remove/modify this then. I got the impression that there'll be time between the Qualifiers and the Exploding Cup which is not the case. The teams have been scheduled in the qualifiers even after 4 matches and there was no chance to play a match in between (was there?).

Something like is immediately scheduled in the final tournament. Make sure to apply to this group. might be more correct.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, let's cover a few bases, shall we?

First off, 1 team took advantage of the 3 game rule. Out of the 15 teams in the final, one team played matches outside of the qualifiers, before the finals. So nobody really has any advantage going into the finals.

Oh, and that one team that did play prep matches? Well, they were knocked out in the first round(interestingly enough, by the team that placed second in their bracket, that they played in the 4th week of qualifiers).

So now that we've established that everyone is on the same playing field, let's address a few other issues.

We have ran tournaments with the same policy for quite a few years, which is that there is no downtime between the end of qualifiers and the start of finals. There used to be a delay between each phase, but douchecanoes started to take advantage of the system, so we got rid of it. It's been this way for quite a long time, so Arcon, I'm not sure at all where you ever got the impression that it was any different, seeing as how you're a regular in the tournament scene.

All of our Official Tournaments follow the same policy. Being that Stunty tournament are Official Tournaments, they follow the same policy as the other divisions. That policy is to allow teams up to 3 matches between the qualifiers, and the finals. It does not guarantee 3 matches. You get to play up to 3 matches, if the schedule allows it. If it doesn't it, well sorry about your luck.

So now that we've established that this is how tournaments have been running for years, I think I can easily say that I'm not going to change our entire system based off of one issue, and certainly not to appease Arcon.

Lastly, there is the issue of teams being readied for the opening round of a bracket.

Ignoring the fact that you didn't complete the post-phase when it was intended(after the game was over, and not at the start of the next match), the Official Tournament rules are pretty explicit that teams are expected to be Ready when they apply to a tournament. In smaller tournaments, if you aren't Ready, well then we just deny your application.

In larger tournaments, though, if you win a qualifier, and apply to the finals unreadied, we will Ready you. Plain and simple. We feel that you have earned your right to be in the final draw, and we're not going to deny you that opportunity. Denying you not only potentially makes a player upset, it throws a fairly significant administrative monkey wrench into our plans by giving byes to a final, which we flat out despise. We try to minimize byes as much as possible, and leaving a qualifier out in lieu of a bye, when it's not necessary, is not fun.

The alternative is we deny your application outright when we get an unready team. But, then we have to deal with people running to the forums and being butthurt because they didn't get to play, when they apparently have reading comprehension problems, despite us being pretty explicit about the rules and expectations.

In our opinion, we choose the lesser of two evils. We Ready your team, and run the risk of getting an earful by someone who didn't get to tweak their team. In the history of being on the tournament staff, I can think of a grand total of, oh, somewhere in the range of, 1 time this has happened. Oh wow, it's right now.

Oh, while we're discussing it, I had a few teams that didn't even apply to the finals, despite winning their bracket. I can't recall if you were one of them or not, but if you were, well there's another favor we did you. If you win your bracket in a tournament, we will invite you to the tournament. We do this as a courtesy, not as an expectation. You are responsible for applying to the main draw if you qualify. It does happen that people neglect to apply for a multitude of reasons, and for the reasons stated above regarding Readying, we will apply the same "err on the side of caution" to unapped teams as well. If you qualify for a final, and you don't apply, we will assume it is an oversight, we will invite you unless we have been told otherwise. Again, the times that this has been a problem, I can probably count on one finger.

So, there you have it.

a) You may or may not have applied to the finals. If you didn't, I invited you since you won your bracket, and you deserved to have your spot in the finals.
b) Your team was Readied, because as per Official Tournament Rules, you are expected to be Ready for the start of a tournament. We did you the favor of Readying your team, instead of kicking you out, so you could participate in the finals which you rightfully deserved to be a part of.
c) As a result of this, a grand total of zero rules or notifications will be changed, since we have been running the exact same system for years, and the amount of unrest we have had over it, is virtually non-existent.

Hopefully, that clears things up a bit.

--j

ImageImage
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Can I apply my 4th placed team just in case every ones panties are so waded up tight that they do not apply and my Drachenfells team can make the main draw?

We have played no games since the close of the EC.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I call BS!!!!

Constant Drachenfells will be appearing in your book room tonight Shadow for not allowing the Drachenfells chimney sweeps to fill that FILLER spot.

He does not forget, he is constant and a very evil dude.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 00:13
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Shadow46x2 speaks with the voice of Official FUMBBL Tournaments here. I endorse everything he said.

Really i think you should see the upside here. We went above and beyond to ensure and protect your place in the finals. Taking several steps that you yourself were responsible for.

Next time would you prefer we stick to the exact rules and exclude you?

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadow46x2 speaks with the voice of Official FUMBBL Tournaments here. I endorse everything he said.

Quoted from PurpleChest

I think we need some theatrics at this moment for dramatic effect.

maybe a back lit stage with flashing lightning effects, that should do the trick.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Just in case..I will admit over the top.

A grey beard PurpleChest is standing 20ft above the stage, it is a mountain, he has tablets in each hand, he slowly descends, approaching the rabble.

Yeah, we got something working now on the script.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey fellows, whats going on in here? No nice chat about a great tournament, just moaning about admin. I know there were some hurdles to jump about. I wasnt sure what to do after passing the qualifier (never won one before Wink, but in the end, we got a 1/8 final with just one team missing.
People who dont want to play the main tournament (but why?), can just not play their matches. You get banned for officieal tournaments for a short time, but if there is a RL reason why you cant play the tournament, it should be a thing you can deal with.
Thinke we should remember, that the staff does this mostly in their free time.

So back to topic: Had a great 1/8 final. Have a really good time with my squigs. Bashing everyting to the ground. As this it must feel to play a chaos team in [R] or [B]...

And i learn every game something new. Tentacles work vs leap. After playing and speccing hundred of games, i could have known it, but, well...

Nuffle had a smile for my team until now. Rolling the dices like never before (writing this will end the streak, i know it).

See the squigs resist the chainsaws here:

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3665487

Greetz and calm down

Gio
luckyjim12

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an important question for shadow: is "douchecanoe" pronounced to rhyme with canoe or volcano? I am hoping for the latter.

May nuffle reward positivity - Gio for the cup!
Badoek

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

luckyjim12 wrote:
I have an important question for shadow: is "douchecanoe" pronounced to rhyme with canoe or volcano? I am hoping for the latter.

As a non-native I'm having some difficulties with this too. My co-workers are giving me funny looks too since I'm trying it out loud.
Tantibus

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

This looks a mess, only option is to start the whole Cup again from the beginning.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Badoek wrote:
luckyjim12 wrote:

As a non-native I'm having some difficulties with this too. My co-workers are giving me funny looks too since I'm trying it out loud.

I think it's pronounced "Get the Hell of my lawn, you punk kids!"

But more seriously, running one of these things is a thankless job. So thanks to Shadow and anyone else who made it possible. You have as much fun with stunty as the attitude you bring to the pitch. Get smooshed? Hilarious. Crush the other team? Also hilarious. Great match? Great!

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 14:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Tantibus wrote:
This looks a mess...

I'll tell you what would look a mess. A douchecano! I imagine it's some kind of enema. Or explosive diarrhea Razz
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Tantibus wrote:
This looks a mess, only option is to start the whole Cup again from the beginning.

The only thing that is a mess is the people who did not read the rules or apply properly. I was on holiday, and still managed to get a team readied and applied on my crappy phone, in less than 5 minutes.

Shadow has been doing this a while, he knows his stuff. He can't start letting things slide a bit here or there for one or two people, because it sets a dangerous precedent.

Stunty is meant to be laid back and fun, but you still need to follow all the site rules, including tourney rules when you enter one.

Thanks