32 coaches online • Server time: 09:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2015 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there were others I could've chosen with games, but they weren't as amusingly named. I regret nothing.

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2015 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Hahaha, that is quite true.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I've started a Wood Elf team in box, and I play north american times.

I will confess that if I start getting matched up with 2100tv nurgle, I'm gonna be making an exit, but we'll see how this goes.
w8lifter

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

So if there are only 2 coaches that activate, exactly why aren't they matched up in Box?
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

they played each other last time?

one is a rookie team and the other is beyond the TV limit?

do I win a prize?

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

1- Nope
2 - I have no idea as it doesn't say who the other team is
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

It's probably to prevent two coaches from trading losses.

If that's the case, it's probably not needed, but whatever.
w8lifter

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, in 32 attempts to play a Box match, I have gotten exactly one match.

Correction, it's now 33 attempts.

Last edited by w8lifter on %b %31, %2015 - %03:%May; edited 1 time in total
pubstar

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
I've started a Wood Elf team in box, and I play north american times.

But Rat, I thought you were a MEGA PICKER! Whatever will I do with my preconceived notions of you?

To the point though: is there any chance of altering the way the box fires, or how frequently it fires? I actually prefer the Blackbox environment over Ranked, but getting a Ranked game is just SO EASY. I play NA evenings, and I would definitely play more Blackbox if it was easier to get a match. If it's 9:20, I'm not waiting 10 minutes for a Box to (maybe) fire, I'm going to get a Ranked match in 2 minutes tops, even when it's slow.

What if the box fired after a certain threshold? Like, I activate, and once 4 coaches had also activated, the scheduler made pairings? The number could be 6, or 8, or some appropriate number. It's a half-baked idea, but I'm sure somebody clever can think of something better.

Maybe my experiences aren't typical, but I think an effort to make box games at least close to as convenient as Ranked games would help with 'recruitment from within'. I can't imagine I'm the only NA player who likes box, but likes convenience more.

xnoelx

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

w8lifter wrote:
So if there are only 2 coaches that activate, exactly why aren't they matched up in Box?

Because the minimum number of coaches required is 4. Any fewer and there will be no draw, under any circumstances.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

w8lifter wrote:

People could use low traffic times to arrange games this way. This is not the intended use for the division.
The minimum used to be 6 and was then reduced to 4 to accomodate for the reduced traffic.
licker

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
w8lifter wrote:

People could use low traffic times to arrange games this way. This is not the intended use for the division.
The minimum used to be 6 and was then reduced to 4 to accomodate for the reduced traffic.

I love the solutions waiting for a problem.

Rolling Eyes

Box should draw with any number, honestly, would anyone care even if a couple yutzes tried to game it?
CW

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes...I am sure a lot of people would care.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

Box should draw with any number, honestly, would anyone care even if a couple yutzes tried to game it?

Obviously we don't get to know most of the stuff the administration is dealing with but I did hear of one or two cases from a while back where people had long lists of the same box opponents.

Oddly at times like right now this can even happen when you don't have intent.

The 4 coaches rule does not really prevent that form of cheating, only thing it does is to assure that you don't have a 100% chance to get the desired opponent.

I don't really have an opinion on whether access to games or that last bit of abuse prevention is more important.
I wouldn't feel particularly threatend by people who did abuse it either. On the other hand the 4 coaches rule isn't something that particularly bugs me about box. Without it the odds for unbalanced match-ups would also drastically increase.
Does it really matter?
licker

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

CW wrote:
Yes...I am sure a lot of people would care.

Why? What possible difference would it make?

Wreckage, it only matters if you want to be able to get more games during NA evenings/nights.

If you don't care, then your opinion honestly doesn't matter.
 Jump to: