42 coaches online • Server time: 14:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Diceskill

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, a huge thanks to all involved who made this happen. This was so much fun.

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day over a weekend)?
Week is fine. Everything else will exclude a huge part of Fumbbl from participating.

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?
Spot on, very well done.

3. Did you enjoy yourselves? If so why (and if not, why not)?
Absolutely. I got to play a number of excellent TT players in a super competitive environment. Then I never had a more fun game than the final, and that's despite playing with a bad fever and starting super nervous - so glad no specs were around to see my embarrassing T1 Wink

Just one thing: whatever you do for the next event, Zombies absolutely must be banned. They are just too good Smile
PeteW

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Rules pack was great. I like finals.

Communication was awesome. Multiple hats off to goo.

Enjoyment? Personally enjoyed the first few games but as i lost some i last interest. Partly that is my personality as i enjoy challenging for the top. As has been said, this differs from a league in many ways.

My idea would be to do team tournaments like the stable format. Then you would care about other people's games etc.

Or we could have a naf league. That would be cool. But trying to mirror a tt tournament on fumbbl is not going to work. But it was great to try and done really well. I imagine if i had been more competitive it would have been a blast!

Out of interest, how many forfeits were there in each round?

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The tournament was great and I enjoyed it. One thing I thought I'd add since I didn't see anyone else mention (apologies if it was in there somewhere, that was a lot to read through):

I've heard that NAF TT tournaments give prizes for best offense, best defense, and most brutal (CAS). Something like that here could give teams something to play for once they've had their first loss.

As many have stated, you won't please everyone with the timing. Unless you were going to have an event for each time zone separately (Europe, Americas, Oceana), I'm not sure how well a weekend tournament would work. I probably could not play 6 games in 2 days on a European schedule. But I'm not opposed to a few of those a year as long as they aren't supplanting the 6 week format that was used here. I think that format works best ofr an all-inclusive tournament. I look forward to more NAF events on FUMBBL.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day over a weekend)?

-A week is fine. A 6 week commitment to a turnament isn't too long a strecht for me.

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?

-All was fine. I got the message about the turney on fumbble. Worked for me.

3. Did you enjoy yourselves? If so why (and if not, why not)?

-I did enjoy it! As a family with 2 small kids, this turned out to be a little time out from the familylife. And that on a regular weeknight!

4. Are you / do you know a NAF TO who is interested in partnering with us in the future to run a sister online event (with or without physical prizes)? As we look to fill our tournament pipeline, we’d like to partner with events from across the NAF world.

-No I don't

And things we think got covered for now:

1. Tiered / more intricate rulesets. It’s certainly our intent to get there eventually, but the coding takes time and it’s good to have a baseline. Remember we’re only one tournament in, we’ll get there!

2. Formats. A 254 coach 6 round Swiss was a great ‘big splash’ way to begin, but we are aware it’s perhaps not the optimal format to use every time. We know other ways of doing things exist, and we’ve got exciting things lined up!

3. Timezone concerns. We know that coaches made a special effort for the RTTNAFC (or perhaps didn’t enter knowing they’d be committed to 6 games, potentially with coaches on the other side of the world). There are plans afoot to make your scheduling easier in the future"
Grod

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't play in the tournament because of timezone differences, even though I was super excited about the idea.

Any move to make scheduling easier or to hold tournaments in different timezones would be great.

As for weekend tournaments? I would rather go to the real thing. However, a 3 round tourney, not necessarily with that many teams could be interesting. They could be like the instant Smacks. Just join an instant ressurect channel, and when 8 players are ready it's on baby!

Oscar Wilde
happygrue

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:

My idea would be to do team tournaments like the stable format. Then you would care about other people's games etc.

Oh man! I was bugging 'goo about this on IRC some mere hours after the kickoff of the first game. Very Happy Sign me up now and let me know where to send the check later!

EDIT: Or a format that would allow leagues to challenge each other. URN is great and all but maybe you need to enlist the help of others if you want to finally topple the SWL... Wink (to anyone reading this: if you don't know what that means don't worry about it, it was a very specific jab)

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
PeteW wrote:

Oh man! I was bugging 'goo about this on IRC some mere hours after the kickoff of the first game. Very Happy Sign me up now and let me know where to send the check later!

EDIT: Or a format that would allow leagues to challenge each other. URN is great and all but maybe you need to enlist the help of others if you want to finally topple the SWL... Wink (to anyone reading this: if you don't know what that means don't worry about it, it was a very specific jab)

Were you around for the time of Stables? I had a truly awesome stable: Me, Prez, Pigstar-69, Wreckage, DukeTyrion, BlackNWhiteDog, Wotfudboy and Phil78. It was awesome.

That would be fun.

We need to stop killing each other in WIL to have a shot at the URN!!!

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/help:StableCoaches

There were a lot of us involved back then!

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn. Stables need to return so Team Fantastic can rule the roost!

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:

Were you around for the time of Stables? I had a truly awesome stable: Me, Prez, Pigstar-69, Wreckage, DukeTyrion, BlackNWhiteDog, Wotfudboy and Phil78. It was awesome.

That would be fun.

We need to stop killing each other in WIL to have a shot at the URN!!!

No, that was before my time, sadly. I got a taste in the old IL league that shutdown just after I got here, and also a similar thing (also incredibly awesome) in another game. I have been nursing the idea of such a battleground for some time but I don't have time to set it up and it seems the tools to do so have not been available - that I know of.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Non progression would suit stables better than progression IMO.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Hi nobbynobbs,

As you say, we were following the NAFC rules in this case. As I mention in the OP; we feel we have a good direction for future online formats. I should say, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you're avoiding the NAFC due to a final being played. It's a minor (some may say traditional) point when considering attending an amazing party.

I will be reaching out to NAF TOs on other forums / directly shortly, but I was keen to mention it first to those that supported our first online event. I'm sure that I will speak to Darkson, and everyone else, very soon. Smile

It's also the cost of it and it being in Nottingham, I just can't afford it (travel, hotels etc) with a young family and my wife being my wife. The whole idea of a final just leaves a sour taste in my mouth for a swiss tournament.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

4:Expanding TV ranges changes up the tactics and strategy of team building. Also it makes it more fun because it is not just rinse and repeat the same TV 1100 format with 3/6 skills.

THIS! I've been advocating this for tabletop tourneys for a while now.

Something like: 5 players may skill before game 1.
3 more skills before game 2 (one may stack up to 2)
3 more skills before game 3 (all may stack up to 2)
3 more skills before game 4 (one may stack up to 3)
3 more skills before game 5 (all may stack up to 3)

Maybe add an option for some sprinkled doubles/stats into the mix.

Woodies and undead would be less BS good, Chaos and Nurgle would start to become more interesting, Lizards, rats and cdorfs would still rock.

Stunties might suffer (due to amount of Mb tackle) and need some extra benefits (allowing only stunties to have stars, and allowing them lots of doubles should do the trick)
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

How about an event where we all take a laptop along to a hotel for a weekend and play on FUMBBL 'face to face' - best of both worlds Razz
Roland

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

when are the last 2 games going to be "wrapped up"?
 Jump to: