51 coaches online • Server time: 12:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
m0nty

Post   Posted: May 08, 2004 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

FUMBBL's ultimate tournament is back again! The FUMBBL Cup 3 is the supreme test of your coaching skills - join now for great prizes! Join #fumbbl_cup3 on Afternet too!
Malthor

Post   Posted: May 09, 2004 - 06:31 Reply with quote Back to top

re the rule:

"FUMBBL Cup 3 qualifier tournaments count for rankings where K=6, whereas the finals will count where K=11 ... in other words, qualifiers count towards your coach ranking three times as much as normal Ranked games, and the finals count five and a half times as much."

If it is meant to be a reward, it should only be K=6 or 11 for the winner and remain as k=2 for the loser. The other rewards are all positive for those who make it into the finals. Being the losing finalist should be a rewarding (though bittersweet) experience. Not only do you miss out on 5.5 x normal CR advance, you miss out on 100K winnings and possibly a healed injury. With the new proposed rule, you are also penalised 5.5 x CR decrease.

still disliked all round!
m0nty

Post   Posted: May 09, 2004 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, but the losing finalist has already had two or three wins with K=6 and three wins with K=11, so one loss won't represent a terrible tragedy.
Nighteye

Post   Posted: May 09, 2004 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe A good thing i dont care about Ranking. But why are you punished so hard for trying to qualify for this tournament?? I had some really fun games last night even though i got an a*swhooping. But had i cared more about my ranking id have been mightily pisses since i really didnt have a chance to begin with.
m0nty

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

There is now a FUMBBL Cup FAQ, which will be updated as required.
dertre

Post   Posted: May 11, 2004 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

hi there, there's something i dopnn't understand, one team (i lost against him) is appearing 2 times in the qualifiers : bloodrock clan

FUMBBL Cup 3 KO Qual. 2 (not played won by the opponent) and FUMBBL Cup 3 KO Qual. 6 (won against me) is that normal?

i will look like a bad looser Wink
m0nty

Post   Posted: May 11, 2004 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Once you are knocked out of a qualifier, you can reapply to another one. It was a long story with Renegade, the one you are referring to, but he followed the rules.
dertre

Post   Posted: May 11, 2004 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

tx Wink we joined the same day lol
Zhluhur

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in! Smile Here we go.... I got a nice Ranking push. Wink

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Once a qualifier starts, a strict timeframe for playing games will be enforced, according to a rolling deadline every 4 days from the start. You will be expected to play a minimum of two games per week, which will mean if you are the reason a game is not played 4 days after the last deadline, your team will forfeit the game.

The KO has been running for longer than 4 days now and still coaches haven't played their games. At what stage will this rule be enforced and what will happen if both coaches haven't completed their scheduled matches in the designated time? Which seems to be the case in many of the qualifiers.

-Ren
m0nty

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

As I said in the news post just put up, reminders are now being sent out.
Petter

Post   Posted: May 17, 2004 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The title defenders should get a free spot in the cup without having to qualify! Laughing Laughing
Malthor

Post   Posted: May 19, 2004 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, title defenders should be given a wildcard, as long as I get to play him again in the first round of the final 32 (assuming I make it heh).

still disliked all round!
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2004 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

For the next official cup on FUMMBL I suggest the following improvements:

1) Instant swiss vs long-term KO:

Currently, all instant tourneys are swiss exclusively, whereas KO-qualifiers are long-term events which can last up to 12 days.

This has serious consequences:

If you play a str-side, it doesn't matter much if you join a swiss or a KO, if you've got plenty of time you will most likely go swiss.

If you play a low-AV side, however, joining a swiss might be disastrous, since you are forced to play all 3 games no matter what. Not a great issue if you play a KO, you're out after a beating anyhow and can recover in [R].

That means, that most low-AV sides will join the KO-qualifiers, even if they've got enough time to play instant tournaments.

There is no reason to disallow instant KOs (there's also no reason to disallow long-term swiss, of course). With instant KO-qualifiers we would most likely see a greater variety of races in the cup. The current domination of str-sides is partially the result of disallowing instant KO-qualifiers.

2) Swiss scheduling by str:

Currently, the seedings for the first round are made by str. That means, that the most likely final (i.e. the game between the 2 strongest teams) will already be played in the first round.

That's a completely unlikely procedure for such championships.

Imagine the football world championship groups would be seeded upon this formula: Brazil, Argentina, England and France would be in one group, whereas nations as Iran, South Korea, Jamaica and Australia would constitute another group. Eventually, the final would be played by one of the major nations against one of the minor nations (Brazil vs Japan for example).

Thus, the first round seeding should either be completely random, or it should be strongest vs weakest team. Since mngs don't contribute to the str (which means that mng-results can "hide" the actual long-term strength of a team), I'd suggest to go with a random seeding. If not, highest vs lowest TR would be the proper way to go IMO, since mngs are accounted for. Seeding by str is also justified with regard to teams which have hoarded cash for star players and/or wizards. Accumulated cash also hides the true str of participating teams.

3) Points in swiss:

A minor issue, but I'd suggest to go with international standards for championships, i.e. wins should give 3 points whereas draws should give 1 point in swiss.

4) Dropping from a tournament:

Many 3rd and even 2nd round games in swiss are absolutely pointless. Therefore, coaches should be allowed to announce their withdrawal from a cup after the first round before the next round has started (i.e. before they know whom they would be up against). Forcing coaches to play meaningless games for the sake of playing them is completely unnecessary and quite unusual. It also reduces the attractiveness for the cup for many coaches. On top of that, enforced games are another deterrent for low AV-sides.

I think that these suggestions would add further common sense to the cup.
Roine

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2004 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Do we have any timeframe for when the cup will start?
The reason I'm asking is that I know I will be going to Bangkok and work for 2 weeks starting July 4th and will not be able to play anything during this time.
 Jump to: