91 coaches online • Server time: 22:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

**GEEK ALERT**

As many of you know I keep track of certain stats of mine. I have a spreadsheet that I like to update regularly.

I would like to know if there is a way to calculate the number of games needed to increase an average, for example;

582/393/1988 (my total game record) yields a 26% win rate. How do I work out how games I need to win (or draw) in order to effect a change upon the average. If I could then factor in the current win 26% without totally confusing myself that would be fantastic.

I only studied Mathematics at High School level so I not sure a what level this question lies (and would be interested to know if somebody does know!)

Thanks for your time, take care Dalfort.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

When you say "effect a change upon the average", what exactly do you mean?
Are you wanting to see for example how many games you'd need to win, to improve to say 30% (as a start)?

I would imagine its going to be a fairly arbitrary function, tricky to get exact and still be easy to explain.
You've currently got (w + 0.5d)/(w + d + l) ~= 0.26.
And you want is e.g. (w+x + 0.5(d+y))/(w+x + d+y + l+z) = 0.3

where w,d,l are your current games, and x,y,z are your future games.
I guess the next step would be to expand that out, and come up with some simultaneous equations to limit things (i.e. you want to get to 30% in your next 200 games, or whatever)

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Send me the spreadsheet Dal - sann0638 at hotmail dot com.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I would do a prospective "future record" and then combine them. You can use tools like "goal seek" to adjust the number of wins to make a desired record, for example: https://sann0638.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/recordadjuster.xls

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers mike, I tried to reply earlier but the pub network dropped for my browser but not facebook...

Thanks again guys I will look deeper when I get home

Take care Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Edit: Double post from mobile.

Last edited by Dalfort on %b %24, %2015 - %08:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The simplest spitball technique if you want to know how many games you need to make a 1% change is to divide your total number of games by 100. That gives you 1%. i.e at the moment, you need about 30 wins to get from 26.2% to 27.2%.

Obviously this is a rough and ready approach. If you're happy with rounding anything over 26.5% up to 27, you need less games, and if you want to know how many to get to exactly 26% you'd have to proportionally adjust the number of wins (in this case, 30 wins gives a 1% rise, so a 0.8% rise requires 24 wins) and every game played adds to the total number of games, making the figures constantly evolve, but it gives you a reasonable ballpark figure.

Also bear in mind that a draw is worth half a win. So 10 wins and 40 draws would achieve the same change, although if that involved playing more games, raising your total further, the effect would be slightly watered down.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers noel, that is an excellent layman explanation Smile I googled some stuff the reminded me of growing up the Open University guys in their their brown wooly tank tops on BBC 2... very scary, and no numbers !!!! :p

Going to look over Mikes link now, hope I can follow it Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome MIke, nice and simple approach I should be able to play around with that idea somewhat to produce predictions with the stats I have.

Thanks for your help everyone, James my initial Pub post thanked you straight way as well... my phone was doing my head in, it stopped the auto-orientation thing, then I kept hitting the wrong letters and having to correct 75% of the words I typed, whilst trying to hold 2 text conversations as well... that was on top of a quite stressful day all round. Better now though :p

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I have the formula, I'll type asap.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorted it from your explanation Noel, your example spreadsheet Mike and your support James :p

I simply created a new cell to give me each win% if the game was won, drawn or lost by using a cell reference +1 in the same formula but in each different case (hmm easier to do than explain Laughing ). My sheet goes to 2 decimal places so each game is still affecting the % at some point I will work out how to use the last 10 games as a "form" guide for the prediction thing... or something, its just to amuse myself instead of getting vexed at minor things (like snaking GFI rolls...)

Thanks again everyone !

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers Roland, still interested in anything anybody has that can add more calculations to the sheet Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
I think I have the formula, I'll type asap.

nope, had an algebra formula, but it doesn't work.

It must be some kind of iterative process, where you do a calculation for each game and then the # of steps is the # of games needed.

I'll rethink...
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Smile I think try to explain what we are doing is more difficult than playing with the numbers/formulae Razz but thanks for playing along with me Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Now I'm just worried that your idea is going to inspire me to create another spreadsheet... I think I've got about 5 to track various different stats now, all linked to each other.

Yeah, I'm a geek, and I get bored at work sometimes... Embarassed