47 coaches online • Server time: 17:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

**GEEK ALERT**

As many of you know I keep track of certain stats of mine. I have a spreadsheet that I like to update regularly.

I would like to know if there is a way to calculate the number of games needed to increase an average, for example;

582/393/1988 (my total game record) yields a 26% win rate. How do I work out how games I need to win (or draw) in order to effect a change upon the average. If I could then factor in the current win 26% without totally confusing myself that would be fantastic.

I only studied Mathematics at High School level so I not sure a what level this question lies (and would be interested to know if somebody does know!)

Thanks for your time, take care Dalfort.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

When you say "effect a change upon the average", what exactly do you mean?
Are you wanting to see for example how many games you'd need to win, to improve to say 30% (as a start)?

I would imagine its going to be a fairly arbitrary function, tricky to get exact and still be easy to explain.
You've currently got (w + 0.5d)/(w + d + l) ~= 0.26.
And you want is e.g. (w+x + 0.5(d+y))/(w+x + d+y + l+z) = 0.3

where w,d,l are your current games, and x,y,z are your future games.
I guess the next step would be to expand that out, and come up with some simultaneous equations to limit things (i.e. you want to get to 30% in your next 200 games, or whatever)

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Send me the spreadsheet Dal - sann0638 at hotmail dot com.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I would do a prospective "future record" and then combine them. You can use tools like "goal seek" to adjust the number of wins to make a desired record, for example: https://sann0638.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/recordadjuster.xls

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers mike, I tried to reply earlier but the pub network dropped for my browser but not facebook...

Thanks again guys I will look deeper when I get home

Take care Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2015 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Edit: Double post from mobile.

Last edited by Dalfort on %b %24, %2015 - %08:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The simplest spitball technique if you want to know how many games you need to make a 1% change is to divide your total number of games by 100. That gives you 1%. i.e at the moment, you need about 30 wins to get from 26.2% to 27.2%.

Obviously this is a rough and ready approach. If you're happy with rounding anything over 26.5% up to 27, you need less games, and if you want to know how many to get to exactly 26% you'd have to proportionally adjust the number of wins (in this case, 30 wins gives a 1% rise, so a 0.8% rise requires 24 wins) and every game played adds to the total number of games, making the figures constantly evolve, but it gives you a reasonable ballpark figure.

Also bear in mind that a draw is worth half a win. So 10 wins and 40 draws would achieve the same change, although if that involved playing more games, raising your total further, the effect would be slightly watered down.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers noel, that is an excellent layman explanation Smile I googled some stuff the reminded me of growing up the Open University guys in their their brown wooly tank tops on BBC 2... very scary, and no numbers !!!! :p

Going to look over Mikes link now, hope I can follow it Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome MIke, nice and simple approach I should be able to play around with that idea somewhat to produce predictions with the stats I have.

Thanks for your help everyone, James my initial Pub post thanked you straight way as well... my phone was doing my head in, it stopped the auto-orientation thing, then I kept hitting the wrong letters and having to correct 75% of the words I typed, whilst trying to hold 2 text conversations as well... that was on top of a quite stressful day all round. Better now though :p

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I have the formula, I'll type asap.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorted it from your explanation Noel, your example spreadsheet Mike and your support James :p

I simply created a new cell to give me each win% if the game was won, drawn or lost by using a cell reference +1 in the same formula but in each different case (hmm easier to do than explain Laughing ). My sheet goes to 2 decimal places so each game is still affecting the % at some point I will work out how to use the last 10 games as a "form" guide for the prediction thing... or something, its just to amuse myself instead of getting vexed at minor things (like snaking GFI rolls...)

Thanks again everyone !

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers Roland, still interested in anything anybody has that can add more calculations to the sheet Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
I think I have the formula, I'll type asap.

nope, had an algebra formula, but it doesn't work.

It must be some kind of iterative process, where you do a calculation for each game and then the # of steps is the # of games needed.

I'll rethink...
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Smile I think try to explain what we are doing is more difficult than playing with the numbers/formulae Razz but thanks for playing along with me Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Now I'm just worried that your idea is going to inspire me to create another spreadsheet... I think I've got about 5 to track various different stats now, all linked to each other.

Yeah, I'm a geek, and I get bored at work sometimes... Embarassed