14 coaches online • Server time: 06:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

We all play blood bowl, a niche game from the 1990s that most people don't care about. We'd all like to see some continued development... who knows, maybe we can kickstart CRP2 someday.

Well there's another group of games which I remember fondly from my younger years, and that's the Infinity Engine products, mostly from Black Isle Studios. Despite producing what most lists consider one of the greatest games of all time (Baldur's Gate II), development on these games completely stopped at the turn of the millenium. For years we waited for a sequal, and what few imitations came forward were mostly lacking.

Today, Pillars of Eternity was released, and vaulted to the #1 spot on Steam. Thus far, it seems like the wait for a spiritual successor to these great games has finally arrived. In the age of 3D games and multi-million dollar budgets, kickstarter has brought back the 2D isometric real-time-with-pause classic PC RPG. I feel guilty about pirating my copy of BG2 back in the day, and I didn't hesitate to back this project.

I want more of these games, and I figure the fumbbl community probably has more than a few others like me. In the outside chance that this is also the game you've been waiting for, but didn't know it was out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iQCs4DMB10

Go buy it. It's too early to call it a classic, but I've got a good feeling about this. The PC needs more games like this. And with that said, I'll return to defending the rule of 5.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I shall move this to OT, where I'm sure you'll agree it lives...
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Where nobody will ever see it.

Oh well, tried to pump the game.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I never check which topic posts are under, I just check: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=search&search_id=newposts or https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=t6 for the latest posts.

Looking forward to see more of Pillars of Eternity. I remember enjoying Torment Planescape, IceWind Dale and Fallout II from Black Isle Studios. I wonder if I'll ruin the memory by playing a new 2D isometric rpg, we'll see.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Naw man, it's pretty good stuff so far!
Badoek

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooh how tempting!

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2015 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Oooooh awesome!! I love Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment (BG2 not so much) and thought of backing the project back in the day, despite RPGs not engaging me so much anymore.

Consistently good scores, it seems, maybe I'll try it out some day.
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2015 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also an old school RPGer, and of course I've picked up and played Pillars.

That said I've only made it about half way through the game. It's fun but it lacks the soul that Bioware games had. I enjoyed Divinity Original Sin more and played that one through.

Still, they're both worth mentioning in the hopes people buy them. I'd be interested in a PoE sequel.