14 coaches online • Server time: 05:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Angmarred

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2015 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

If a player with Side Step that has been Hypnotic Gazed is subsequently blocked before activating, can they use Side Step? I don't know how the game handles it, because I've never seen it come up. To me, Side Step seems like voluntary movement, so I would say no, but I'm not sure.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2015 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Good question

<waits for xnoelx to see this and answer>

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2015 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

This is answered in the FAQs. SS is not considered voluntary movement, which is defined as being able to leave your square without being forced to. So (although I'm not positive how the client does it) you should be able to SS when gazed, or when you've failed a Bonehead or Stupid roll.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2015 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

As I read the rules, side step isn't a "voluntarily movement". You do not choose to move or not, only the direction of the push
For what I think, you can use side step
sann0638

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2015 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

You can definitely use it, and stand firm too. Good question though!

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2015 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

It is.

Although why you would block a gazed player is an interesting side question. Surely you gaze on the way to something more interesting!

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2015 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

DrPoods wrote:
It is.

Although why you would block a gazed player is an interesting side question. Surely you gaze on the way to something more interesting!

The most likely (if not only) scenario would be a failed BL roll on your intended blitzer and no better target. If it cancelled SS, it would be a different story.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2015 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes you move a gaze-capable player to assist a block you're planning on making, and you gaze the target just because you can.

No sense in not gazing after a move if you're next to an opponent whether it provides a tactical advantage or not. Have gaze, will gaze.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2015 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

If gaze would counteract SS that would be a reason to gaze somebody on its own, pre block.

Chainpushes in conjunction with removing an assist cancel is the other possibility I see.

I also have been thinking about variants to penetrate a tight screen where the Vampire wants to plant a gaze before the SS is done because he'd otherwise have to risk to gaze in a zone. But I couldn't think of any plausible scenario where the SS or the vampire wouldn't block the path himself in the end.
 Jump to: