29 coaches online • Server time: 13:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Its probably be done before, but I loved the fluff behind the Dwarf Warhammerers in 2nd edition BB, so wanted to try and put a roster together. Hoping that people can give some useful comments or suggestions on how to improve it!

Roster
0-16 Lineman - 5-3-2-9 - Thick skill (GS/AP)
0-1 Chainsaw - 5-3-2-9 - Chainsaw, Secret Weapon, Thick Skull (GS/AP)
0-1 Bomber - 5-3-2-9 - Bombardier, Secret Weapon, Thick Skull (GSP/A)
0-1 Gunner - 5-3-2-9 - Hail Mary Pass, Secret Weapon, Strong Arm, Sure Hands, Thick Skull (GS/AP)
0-4 Cannonball - 5-3-3-8 - Right Stuff, Thick Skull (GS/AP)
0-1 Cannon - 0-2-3-10 - Always Hungry, Hail Mary Pass, Nerves of Steel, Secret Weapon, Stand Firm, Strong Arm, Thick Skull, Throw Team Mate (P/GAS)
0-1 Deathroller - 4-7-1-10 - (as dwarf roster) (S/GAP)

Pricing
(prices based upon a mixture of 2 price formulae found online, tweaks based on the goblin roster, and then a bit of guesswork)
Linemen - I went through the pricing formula and they came out at 40k, but that felt too cheap so I figured 50k was maybe better.
Chainsaw, Bomber - 60k
Gunner - 90k
Cannonball - 70k
Cannon - this one I kinda guessed at... 50k
Deathroller - 160k

Rationale/Design decisions
Linemen: I don't mind Block on Dwarf linemen, or tackle... but both together seems a bit wrong. In the case of these guys, I didn't want it to be a guard-spam team so removing both was the best way for me. They're faster for a reason - I don't see why they're slower than halflings! - but generally not that good, until they've skilled up. The way linemen should be!

Chainsaw - This guy needs a name... I've seen Beardtrimmer used in a BB Magazine but didn't really like it. Artisan maybe? Razz The pricing for this guy was mostly based off the goblin chainsaw and adjusted. I love chainsaws...

Bomber - Another based off the goblin player. I figured if you threw bombs for a living you'd get fairly good at it, so passing skill access seemed like a reasonable addition.

Gunner - This guy was trickier... he's carrying a bazooka, so I wanted to make sure that he wasn't exactly going to be accurate with his passes (though tbh would that matter? Its not like anyone here can catch that well!), so AG2... but then he'd have trouble getting the ball in the first place, hence Sure Hands. But then Sure Hands is useful, so his cost went up - 90k seems a bit much for a SW but without it he's waayyy too powerful (just a runner with a punt option really).

Cannon + cannonballs - This one is straight out of 2nd edition... I wanted the cannon to be an immoveable gun dragged onto the pitch and difficult to move. I was going to give it really high strength - after all, you'd have to hit hard to damage a cannon - but then realised it would just be used for hitting things like a treeman. So ST2 was chosen - enough that a normal player can "block" it... after all, you could imagine a player spiking it into the ground. Its got AV10 so it should be fairly tricky to hurt. MA0 was deliberate - you can move it, but you'll be using GFIs... The skill picks were trickier. Always Hungry represents the chance of it not working quite right... Stand Firm means it can't be pushed around. And Nerves of Steel seemed like a good choice - well, you can't exactly put off a cannon... I waned to give it Catch as well, to represent you just putting the ball in, but figured that would only work for hand-offs... plus it was already getting a bit over-described.

The cannonballs were tricky as well; I didn't want just anyone to be able to climb in (you'd have to be a special kind of insane to try this, after all). They need AG3, else they'll really struggle to land, but then they could be meta-gamed as just everyday AG3 players... I figured a drop in AV was reasonable (they can't wear so much and still fit in the cannon), maybe even AV7 would work. I'm also not sure about S access for these guys.

Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?
So assuming 60k rerolls I put together a fairly mad roster of all the weapons, 2 cannonballs, 5 linemen, and 3 rerolls. It would be a giggle, with 12 starting "players", but after a drive or two you would be down to 7 (or less). There's probably other ways to go, but they'd be ignoring the point of the team...

Having gone over it a few times I'm not sure the gunner is really necessary, he's just a toned down/more mobile version of the cannon, so I am tempted to drop him completely.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

*cough* secret leeg *cough cough* Dwarf engineer teem
cowhead

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the link

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd seen the secret league stuff but wasn't overly taken by it, certainly not this roster. Runners don't make a lot of sense on here (if you're going off 2nd edition Warhammerers fluff then there should be 2 throwers and 3 blitzers) and kickers with dirty player never sound quite right on any roster.

Also: no cannon. Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

These are way to many secret weapons. Do you realise that after 1 drive, you're stuck with only Linos and Cannonballs for the rest of the game?

That would make for an incredibly weak roster with 420k spent only for one single drive...
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Engineer team >>>>>>> this

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Engineer team is sexy (and I hate dorfs) but the cheater roster isn't....sry.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The Dwarf Engineers team were my initial idea, but Garion made quite a few changes to it. Oddly your team is closer to mu initial concept though without the cannon(ball).

My aim was to try to make a dwarf team that was actually fun to play against and had more options than stall and grind.

The difficult thing is to make the secret weapons the focus of the team but avoid it being an absolute chore to use once they get sent off/taken out.

The linemen I came up with were something like 5/3/2/8 - Thick skull, Dirty Player. I also considered AG3.
Adding 0-2 runners and/or blitzers might make up for the lack of AG, maybe 0-2 Blockers for some hitting power.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Clearly anything I do just doesn't exist...

https://fumbbl.com/help:DwarfW
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2015 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Clearly anything I do just doesn't exist...

https://fumbbl.com/help:DwarfW

I really like the special rule, where the linemen 'evolve' into the new positionals!
 Jump to: