28 coaches online • Server time: 01:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_Hayward_99

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

could someone advise how to get good at blood bowl. i seem to loose constantly. i make stupid mistakes, have bad lucj, and cant win.
who should i plat with to improve my chances?
thanks
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Firstly, try the 145 Club. That's a group specifically for newer players, where you can play others in the same boat, and get some wins and experience under your belt. You'll need to make a team in the League Division, then apply with it on the group members tab of this group. After that, join their Rookie League that's linked on that page and there'll be a group PM you can use to get games with the other members.

Secondly, check out the Help section of the site. It has lots of useful info, like this, and guides to help with team building, etc.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Lizards and humans feel like the most new-friendly races to me cos they have clearly defined roles. Mostly getting better is a case of practice and time. Here are some things that might accelerate the process.

Join the 145 club to play in a learning environment.

There is a rabbithole of things in the help section of the site to burrow through. In particular make sure you understand blocking.

Go to the Current Games tab and watch some legends play and try and figure out why they do what they do.

Talk tactics during your games - ask what they think you should have done differently at key moments.

Watch replays of your games and figure out what you would have done differently at those moments.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

The basics of how I play

1. Play your turn in order of least risky to most risky
2. Don't get into contact with the other guy unless there's a very good specific reason for it.
3. Try and make blocks with players that have Block or Wrestle.
4. Sometimes it's better not to stand a player up after he's been knocked down.
5. Have fun even when the going is tough. It can be easier with a wacky team like gobbos but even if your elves or rats are getting pounded, keep a good sense of humor about it - it's only a game and nobody is judging you for your prowess of Bloodbowl. Trust me, my wife doesn't appreciate it, she claims she's a Blood Bowl widow sometimes, although she likes painting with me. Even good players make mistakes on occasion and sometimes you have no good options (-2d6 block vs. 3+ dodge). Enjoy the concept of the game, the novelty of it and the other players who make it fun.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Also if you don't find replays helpful like i don't, then don't be afraid to get specific with a question. a lot of things are situational in bb but some of us are more than happy to walk it through with you.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

These are all good suggestions. I'd just like to reiterate two of them:

Spectate other coaches' games. I don't do this enough, but when I do it helps.
And it's not always learning the 'right' way to do something, but also learning
different ways of thinking about the game.

Talk to your opponent, and if they seem friendly ask them for advice after a play
falls apart on you. Many coaches will often tell you what they saw as the play
developed, and/or what they might have done differently.

Oh, and mrt1212 was wrong about one thing - people will judge you by your
Blood Bowl prowess or lack thereof. But don't let it bother you Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, Ive seen enough coaching bone heads from people with 3 times the amount of games as me to know prowess is a very fluid thing. I make a ton of them still.
albinv

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Cavetroll wrote:
...- people will judge you by your Blood Bowl prowess or lack thereof. But don't let it bother you Smile

lol

So very true that you want to pretend it wasnt...

@Hayward

Im not qualified to give advices that much really.

Good advice given. And the main thing is that stuff is so highly situational in bb. You have to learn the basic foundation but learning when to leave those rules will really make you decent. So play a lot, dont experiment that much - follow the common sense about tactics and team building on fumbbl. This is especially true for teambuilding. Dont funk around here. Its a major key factor and if you think you know - you probably still dont really know but only have an idea. You will be more able to judge when it is worth to leave common team building routes and which skills fit your style to do so once you played standard rosters a lot.
Better to experiment and play around once you are decent enough. I went the other way and cant say it was a rewarding path. Partly i kind of wanted to learn by own mistakes as that is the more natural way. But honestly i only wasted time, i gained zero new experience or knowlegde from it.

One thing i gotta disagree with:

"2. Don't get into contact with the other guy unless there's a very good specific reason for it."

This could really end wrong. Imagine an orc team not making contact. Some races rely on the blocking game and actually want to make contact. You want to make sure to get the most and/ or safest blocks the next turn/ block round would be a better hint id say. Read the guides linked regarding blocking and you should get the idea.

Hm, mrt1212 plays a lot of agility races and probably general prefers a positional and ballhandling approach to
a bashy style.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact a lot of players end up preferring it after years i guess. I see that occupying the right space at the right time is what is needed to win this game after all is said and done. On the other hand the vast majority of rules and skills are about jackass stuff to distract us from this very fact.

So i really dont think we should leave out on all that. It seems it wasnt the grounding fathers intention after all. Razz

Last edited by albinv on %b %24, %2015 - %02:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Just ask for more specific things..
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Watch wreckage's replays.
Play Dark Elves.
Profit.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

That's true albinv, I was thinking of st3 av8 or less players. You totally want to use ST4 players in that way but you have to be cognizant of how your opponent can react to it. like I said, do it with a purpose, even if that purpose is to mark another player.

Avoiding contact until necessary simplifies the decisions you make in some ways but can force you into dubious situations.
albinv

Post 14 Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

@mrt1212

Better said than i ever could. Smile
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

play lots

get beat up

slowly get better

that's the usual process.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
Watch wreckage's replays.
Play Dark Elves.
Pick lots.
Profit.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you read The Strategy Guide for Newbies? And just about everything else on the Help page?

If after going through all that you're ready to really hit the books, you must read Wreckage's opus 1000 Losses Playbook.

Jump to: