40 coaches online • Server time: 16:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PainState

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
@ PS: I'll tell you if you write an article for the next issue. Very Happy

(Serious offer, a top list like what you did for the best major finals would be awesome! You know that's GLN material!)

Ok, Milford will come up with another epic majors topic for all of use to consume.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the kind words, all. Obviously, we do our best to edit as best we can, but odd things can slip through. If you PM Kam and I with anything glaring you spot, that would be fine. Edit: Ahh, I see, on a second read of the post. That fluffy style isn't for all, I appreciate. But I think it brings fine flavour. Wink

I'm glad 'the Game' is going down well. It was a great idea (Joemanji's), and the participants put a lot of effort in.
Deniz87

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

It's always thankful to read the tips and strategy guides.
However,everytime I see someone trying to explain that luck doesn't actually matter,I can't help but have a snarl on my face.
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Luck does matter a lot, but defenetly less than 20%. I have some semi-statistical approximation that luck is in the 10% range for in the games I played.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl is 10% luck, 20% skill
15% concentrated power of will
5% pleasure, 50% pain
And a 100% reason to remember the name!

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

In my matches things seem to go differently.
I roll as less dice as I can. I'm getting even scared to try a blitz. I never do 1-dice blocks except in very critical moments. I play carefully because I know that every dice roll could make a turnover...expecially if you try blocks or blitz or dodges with unskilled players. But the bad luck is still there. Even my opponents realized that they were lucky against me in my last (test match) tournament.

Anyway,I hope you guys can make more guides on how to protect the ball carrier. I think I'm not that good at it. Expecially against experienced coaches.
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Havent' had the chance to read it all, yet. But all I want to say is: Good stuff!

Thanks for the dedication

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

There is that lovely Ritchie Benaud quote about Cricket captaincy being 90 % luck and 10 % skill, but don't try it without that 10 %.

I don't think the percentages in BB are equivalent, but there is only one bit of the equation you can control yourself. Wink I'm always up for more tactics articles, ball security is a good idea for one!
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Macabeo wrote:

- "A Page from a Fouler's Playbook": Facts! I agree with you in all points, I think people underestimate the odds of fouling a lot in this age of legends and chumps. I find a couple of things missing, though. First, the issue with eyeless fouling: teams that outnumber their opponent can use fouling to increase their advantage. This makes some matches more one-sided, and thus no fun. Second, I would've liked some mention to Sneaky Git, which again I think is underappreciated (it's just subpar, not abysmal). I don't know, some numbers assuming that Sneaky Git allows you to foul much more often to calculate the return you get.

Ok, challenge accepted. I will cover Sneaky git in the next GLN. I hereby authorize the GLN staff to contact me and force me to provide that. Smile
Kam

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Sneaky Git isn't just about lowering the odds to be sent off, it's also a positioning skill. You now... When you have to chose between marking and fouling the one guy who can still threaten the BC and steal the win. Fouling is more effective when it works, but it can also fail AND leave the guy unmarked if you're not assisted. Unless... you have SG. Wink

Yeah, the skill is subpar, but it's not 100% useless either.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
Macabeo wrote:

- ...I would've liked some mention to Sneaky Git, which again I think is underappreciated (it's just subpar, not abysmal). I don't know, some numbers assuming that Sneaky Git allows you to foul much more often to calculate the return you get.

Ok, challenge accepted. I will cover Sneaky git in the next GLN. I hereby authorize the GLN staff to contact me and force me to provide that. Smile

Yay, thanks a lot! Don't forget pointing out that it's better to reduce armor to an even number when using SG and stuff like that Wink

Maybe also some conditional probabilities too... i.e. the odds of being sent off with SG *if you broke AV9 unassisted* are 44%. It's good to know for positional purposes that, if that guy gets stunned or better, your player is going to be sent off half of the time.

Kam wrote:
Sneaky Git isn't just about lowering the odds to be sent off, it's also a positioning skill. You now... When you have to chose between marking and fouling the one guy who can still threaten the BC and steal the win. Fouling is more effective when it works, but it can also fail AND leave the guy unmarked if you're not assisted. Unless... you have SG. Wink

One of the reasons why I think SG is underestimated, but thanks for pointing it out Wink However, it's also about the numbers too, since you will foul much more (ideally every turn) if you have a SG player, which will in theory lead you to doing damage eventually. Gang fouling vs. SG is quality over quantity, but for the former you may have to forgo your position and for the latter you need an extra skill.
Strider84

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice read. Thanks.

My favorites were the game and the great gobbo's guide to speccing.

I think i could provide some insight to Ogres, as i have played them R, B, L and Tabletop moe ore less successfully.

Now looking forward for my laptop ond the balcony reading drpood's Story
Balle2000

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

i like that the coach named arry complains about butchering words. it's also racist.

(against gobbos Wink)

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Great, Strider! You know where my inbox is. Smile
wkdsoul

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2016 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Is this only posted on the forum, or can i get a pdf(s) so i can catch up back issue to read on the bus via kindle etc?
 Jump to: