37 coaches online • Server time: 16:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
bghandras' post is music to my 16 mens ears.

Hehe. Smile
16 might be a little rich for me, but 13 is kind of a standard roster for me now, and can see possible value having a 14th body. I would not go beyond 14 at the moment.
16 would be warranted ONLY if fouling is a plan A, even in matches, where opponent has a deep bench. I find this scenario unlikely to happen with my playbook. But if it works for you, then please feel free to continue my thesis, and expand fouling beyond my suggestions.
Badoek

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Great read! Although I've skipped through the bio article (not because it's not awesome, it is, but because I dread doing proper biographies myself and I still need to fix my only decent one) and DrPoods' story but I'll read that soon. Short reactions on this edition:

News & Views
Editorial
Terrible, skip! Wink

From Addiction to Appreciation – Throweck’s story
Nice.

FUMBBL: Then and Now
Nice.

Tactics
Positioning
Good but I haven't fully grasped the article yet. I will have to read it again because I haven't been able to understand the terms being used (active skills?), probably my bad. Smile

The Game
Awesome! And with pictures yay!

Coaches Couch
Awesome!

How to Become a Lucker
Nice and with pictures!

A Page from a Fouler's Playbook
Awesome! Looking forward to the next page from that playbook.

Orc Tactical Guide
Good! Perhaps another part about specific opponents?

Filling The Blackbox Grid
Nice, it's good to have that achievement in the GLN. With that many games though I'd have loved to read more about it. How-to, worst games, etc. Also good to mention cdassak's terrorism.

Adventures in YouTubing
Nice, not for me though. Smile

Der Etikett O Spektatin
The_Great_Gobbo in GLN, awesome! Good advice too.

Creating a Bio from Scratch
Nice, although a bit over my head. I do think GLN can use more of this though (basic and advanced perhaps?). A copy/past-able bio so no team has an excuse not to have something of a bio?

For the Glory of the Old Ones
3 pages! I haven't read them yet though.

GRIND Greatest Players
League stuff, awesome!

The WIL Fringe
More League stuff, awesome!

Q+A with the Great Gobbo
More! MOAR!!

Obituaries
Fallen Sammiches Surprised
Kam

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Nice, although a bit over my head. I do think GLN can use more of this though (basic and advanced perhaps?). A copy/past-able bio so no team has an excuse not to have something of a bio?

Agreed. I think we should start a series of short articles about very basic things every issue, like creating a menu, or tables for your players achievements. A simple template with explanations - that should do the trick.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah! Guide the idiots (<- incl. me).

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Quote:

Agreed. I think we should start a series of short articles about very basic things every issue, like creating a menu, or tables for your players achievements. A simple template with explanations - that should do the trick.

Agreed, sometimes the coding looks terrifying even to those familiar with the basics.

Something quick and concise, perhaps something along these lines? :

Quote:
Make an image clickable to a link, with floatover text.

Code:
[url=LINK HERE][img title=FLOATOVER TEXT HERE]PICTURE URL HERE[/img][/url]

The capitals show where you put each bit.

LINK HERE = link URL
FLOATOVER TEXT HERE = Text displayed when cursor hovered over image
PICTURE URL HERE = URL of the image you want to be clickable

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
bghandras' post is music to my 16 mens ears.

Hehe. Smile
16 might be a little rich for me, but 13 is kind of a standard roster for me now, and can see possible value having a 14th body. I would not go beyond 14 at the moment.
16 would be warranted ONLY if fouling is a plan A, even in matches, where opponent has a deep bench. I find this scenario unlikely to happen with my playbook. But if it works for you, then please feel free to continue my thesis, and expand fouling beyond my suggestions.

I'm just a big baby who can't keep my players from going splat so I always pack 2 extra Wink
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that GLN should feature "The Game" type articles all the time. Breaking this stuff down is great for people that have only a handful of experience and want to get better.
arry

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

It appears that one and a half articles are unedited, despite the editor's best efforts. Cool stuff otherwise.
pubstar

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm at work, so I have only had time to read the first few articles; I'm sure to circle back with comments once I've read the full issue.

To begin, though: this is a staggering amount of content! Thank you all for your great work on this, it is very much appreciated!

Kam

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

arry wrote:
It appears that one and a half articles are unedited, despite the editor's best efforts. Cool stuff otherwise.

Which ones?

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

One was my obit' I think, I noticed I'd made a few typos here and there.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Macabeo

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
I think that GLN should feature "The Game" type articles all the time. Breaking this stuff down is great for people that have only a handful of experience and want to get better.

This. I enjoyed this issue a lot, in particular the articles of the tactics section, but "The Game" was awesome. Blood Bowl at its best, showing that between high level coaches it's not mostly about a critical roll that failed, it's the turn to turn struggle.

Some comments about other articles:
- "From Addiction to Appreciation – Throweck’s story": Exactly, balance is key, and the FUMBBL experience is much more than just playing Wink
- "How to Become a Lucker": Good article, yep.
- "A Page from a Fouler's Playbook": Facts! I agree with you in all points, I think people underestimate the odds of fouling a lot in this age of legends and chumps. I find a couple of things missing, though. First, the issue with eyeless fouling: teams that outnumber their opponent can use fouling to increase their advantage. This makes some matches more one-sided, and thus no fun. Second, I would've liked some mention to Sneaky Git, which again I think is underappreciated (it's just subpar, not abysmal). I don't know, some numbers assuming that Sneaky Git allows you to foul much more often to calculate the return you get.
- der Great Gobbo, as cheeky as ever. Epic tale by DrPoods too.
- I can't stress how important is making FUMBBL more visible and accessible to people, thanks sann0638 and Kam!!

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for your time and effort!
arry

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm fine with typos; I don't like the ones where every single word is butchered.

Dis guy az istablisht iz 'style' ere though. Nothing to be done.
happygrue

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Macabeo wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

This. I enjoyed this issue a lot, in particular the articles of the tactics section, but "The Game" was awesome. Blood Bowl at its best, showing that between high level coaches it's not mostly about a critical roll that failed, it's the turn to turn struggle.

Thanks! It was fun to take part in, but also totally draining. Each game (we played two) took close to three hours IIRC, as we were thinking, talking and trying to explain at the same time. I can only imagine how long it took goo to edit into a more readable form and add his comments and pictures. For anyone interested, here is the other game we played with different teams (Stonetroll won with his elves as I scored early to try and turn a tie into a win). It's got our full chat transcript, but has not been edited by goo (and Kam for the pictures?) into that nicely presentable format.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

That was a good read all the way through. Best issue so far. My favorite was the breakdown of the cards, as they're something I rarely take. They're still new to me so I shy away from them. Having multiple people on the panel for that really gave a lot of different viewpoints and a lot to consider.
 Jump to: