66 coaches online • Server time: 21:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Stunty coaches

I love the gnome roster but can't seem to work out how to use them best. They can be frustrating but awesome fun. Would love to hear from some experienced coaches or just be pointed in the direction of some good teams/replays.

Ta
luckyjim12

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

My gnome team are very average. But my bit of advice would be that hail mary bombers now the bug is fixed are excellent for inducing stunty madness.
selfy_74

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

You need a bench so that you can spread the bomb love over the whole match. It's no good having bomb fun just for the first drive. Bomb fun over the sustained 16 turns is the way to go.

Selfy_74: Verified Stunty Leeg Master

PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with both of you but...
i've found a wall of 4 bombers on defence if recieving first is very effective and stop mosts teams in their tracks, with a bit of luck.

I think HMP is great but maybe only need 2? A precision bomber would be good too. I've had success targeting ag1 and no hands players.

Offence is where I have been going wrong - i've been holding backfield with a cannon but that HMP never seems to come off. Maybe the TTM or just running with the Daredevil is the way to go... but in stunty there are a lot of threats to the, especially a blockless guy.
TheSyron

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of it starts with the teambuilding, I think that there are two ways to play gnomes: the fun way and the efficient way.

Fun way is starting with all 4 bombers and one (or both) cannons and just enjoying the carnage.
You can focus on keeping a bomber or two on the field the entire game (so not putting on 4 the first drive) as they can be really powerful.

Efficient way is starting with 2 bombers & more linemen, and perhaps a cannon if you like having the threath of ttm. Try to skill up your bombers with accurate & pass, then buy the rest of them. It'll take a while though. In the meantime pick mighty blow as your first skill for your lino's. You might have a problem finding opponents though.

Personally I prefer a mixture of the two, going full mighty blow is kinda cheese. The cannons aren't great, but having one should prove to be useful. At the very least it will force your opponent to assign more men to the defence.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

PaddyMick wrote:
Agree with both of you but...
i've found a wall of 4 bombers on defence if recieving first is very effective and stop mosts teams in their tracks, with a bit of luck.

I think HMP is great but maybe only need 2? A precision bomber would be good too. I've had success targeting ag1 and no hands players.

The squig slayers are central imo: block and frenzy to start, and GS access is huge in stunty.
And yes: precision bombers rock: 6 squares on a 2+ with reroll! Bye bye fanatic/firewyrm!

If you happen to dominate a game (due to good slayers), don't be afraid to score with a bomber. They REALLY need the SPPs, as they don't block or move when doing their job.
selfy_74

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, well, that's what I don't like about gnomes. Personally I don't think anyone should start with block in stunty. At least they don't have dodge though.

Selfy_74: Verified Stunty Leeg Master

Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2015 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I think the cannons absolutely suck.
Sure, it's a ST3 player, but unless they roll doubles, they ONLY get passing skills. They also have an incredibly low MV value of 2, which means that the Cannon can't even be used to effectively tie down opposing players, who can simply dodge away on a 3+ and then get too far from a cannon for it to again place a TZ on an opponent.

Even in the best case scenario, a Cannon's best use is on offense, and then only if you can get it the ball for a pass, or if used for the rare OTS via TTM.

Bombers are your bread and butter though. Skill them any way you can. Of the 4, at least 1, preferably 2 should get HMP, and the others should take accurate and pass.

Your Daredevils need to be built into sweepers and ball carriers, preferably both of them can do both jobs.

As for the Squig Slayers and the linemen, build them with one goal in mind. Kill all menz. Don't give them any other purpose in life, but to kill opposing players.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2015 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen Cannons with 4MA, and that made sense. 2MA gets nowhere, and when put on the LOS (which was my intended use), they stay all game on the ground. Perhaps they'd need 3MA - with Sure Feet, they'd be playable in the backfield.

Even with an optimal build, I don't think the current metagame favours Gnome teams very much. If you look at the games played, it's Strigs, Squigs, and some random Chaos team. They feature in at least 80% of the matches I've seen recently.

Quite honestly, I don't think there's any question about which team dominates. I don't even have to spell it out for you.

Stunty is both sillier and harder than traditional BB.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2015 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=731359

For me, probably the hardest team to beat in Stunty. They terrify me.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2015 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

Wonderful team. Thanks!

Last game played: 2014-05-17, against a Chaos team 1100k lower than them. Five games played against a team with a higher TV than theirs.

harvestmouse wrote:
They terrify me.

Stunty does that to me even when I spectate.

Try this team or this team or this other one. They should give you a good run for your best team's TV. Even this team is not that bad.
SkavenLordVinshqueek

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2015 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

Oooh, that's a painful prospect indeed. Sad
But inevitably, that is the efficient way to build Gnomes. You lose on the running game, but your wall of blodge and guard is frighteningly effective.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2015 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

Faced them three times (including their debut, that one doesn't really count), managed to win once when they were already developed.

Had a surprising amount of fun! I like them more than I do Hospital, or other teams that focus on mindless killing, as their bombs can, in theory, screw them over. And some teams can negate it with disturbing presence. Which is more than you can do about PoMb.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2015 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

TheSyron wrote:
Had a surprising amount of fun!

Can't say I did not have fun with my Gnomes. First game was epic, my first Bommaz throw ever CASing a Fanatic and another Gobbo. My third should have been a great slugfest draw if it was not for the Ecce Gnomos being cursed.

After five losses (0 TD against 11) and even being outCASed, time for another build. More awesome Gnomes (their GIFs are the best), no useless Cannons, and I expect the team to follow a .500 record.

Please, Whatball, make Cannons playable. Give them 3MA.
 Jump to: