37 coaches online • Server time: 16:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should we change the rules to encourage more passing?
Yes
19%
 19%  [ 15 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 77

Winni

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
listen to the JanMatty/Wreckage's of FUMBBL, because they know what they are on about.

I am not sure about that.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you think nerfing Sneaky Git would encourage the passing game?

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
You are so predictable, Calcium.

...Spiro, is that you?

JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a conspirocy!

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Winni wrote:
Calcium wrote:
listen to the JanMatty/Wreckage's of FUMBBL, because they know what they are on about.

I am not sure about that.

Most of the time Wreckage sounds like a complete loony!

Selfy_74: Verified Stunty Leeg Master

pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
Yes - stop talking to you.

how rude.

but please do so.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

awambawamb wrote:
markor wrote:
You are so predictable, Calcium.

...Spiro, is that you?

actually, my bet is that he is one of the verboten german game-fixers.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, is that a thread locking I see on the horizon?

Play nice people or this all goes away.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Time to start naming and shaming people, we can do this!

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible that I say I could misbehave and thread is closed? I think I don't need to ACTUALLY do that, do I?

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, Iam going to take a stab at the main thrust of this endless thread.

Here is why passing is promoted in the rule book but suppressed on FUMBBL and the universe at large.

Let’s only discuss the majestic Long BOMB pass.

First off per the rules. That is a -2 on the pass die. Per the rules if you roll a 1 before or after modifications it is a FUMBLE!!!!!!

So, who can negate the -2 on the pass die, throwers. That is the work around in the rule book.

BUT

In order to build up a Thrower who can throw a majestic Long Bomb needs accurate and Strong Arm which is a double for every single Thrower except for a Chaos Pact Marauder. Thus the best player for the majestic Long Bomb is in reality a Chaos Pact marauder.

SO

Any non thrower with out passing skills has a 50/50 chance for the pass to be a FUMBLE!!!!!!!

Lets take a look at this scenario a common one associated with Humanity. I use Humans because they are so average.

Your Human thrower picks up the ball, he is a rookie, and chunks that LONG BOMB down the field. He fumbles the ball on a 3 or less and perfect throws on a 6. Not good odds, but alas he does have pass.

Lets say the catcher catches the ball. He moves 8 paces down field. SO, this lowly human team has advanced the ball 21 paces down field, 13 for the Long Bomb and 8 for the catcher.

Now let’s say this.

The Thrower advances the ball 6 paces and hands off the ball to the catcher. Who BTW has catch so a 1/9 action and the catcher moves down field his full movement. So they have advanced the ball 14 paces.

Now that is 7 paces less than the majestic LONG BOMB yet the risk was only a 1/9 fail chance. So is the massive risk of the Long Bomb worth the extra 7 paces?

Now here is the rub.

In order to bulid up the perfect majestic Long Bomb plan of attack you need to heavily invest skill ups in your throwers and catchers. On top of that you will need one double for Strong Arm and if you are going to plan on having that catcher in the endzone to catch the pass he most likely needs NoS which is a double and he must have sidestep or StandFirm and if you want the best odds on the catcher, a human catcher, you need diving catch to get to 2+ with reroll on the catch.

For the vast majority of coaches on FUMBBL, Table top and in the universe this is just too much investment in a plan of attack when there are much cheaper options available to invest in.

The rules as they are currently in place do BUFF passing. In fact they reward passing by skills that negate all the negatives of passing, catching and slinging the ball all over the field.

The reality is that most of the rosters do not have the time or inclination to invest the skills necessary to make passing and catching a 2+ with reroll on both ends of the action.

The ones that seem to be perfect fits for this tactic have glaring holes related to bashing that they would rather invest their skills to “shore up” the weaknesses of the roster instead of buffing their strengths.

The rules are in place to reward a coach who wishes to implement the majestic Long Bomb air attack plan. There are rosters ready made to implement the aerial attack plan. The question is this.

Are you willing to implement the aerial attack plan of doom and suffer a larger % of losses because of it?

Why do you suffer a larger loss % rate? Simple, you are investing your time, effort and SPP into Throwers and catches and the rest of the team is getting pounding into the pitch and all that is left most of the time is your throwers and catchers who take the field with no support late in the game.

So, in the end the aerial attack of doom plan is for High TV teams that are well established and can afford to impiment this tactic. Good luck getting to High TV with a support staff in place to implement this grand plan.

My final thought.

The rules do not need to be changed to promote passing. They are all ready in place. The issue is can you surround your throwers and catchers with a team that with stand the day to day grind of Blood Bowl?

You can make a team that can throw the ball to Long Bomb on a 2+ with reroll, catch the ball on a 2+ with reroll and negate INT on a 2+ with Reroll, in less you are playing against Slann.

So why do the rules related to passing need to be changed? They are already in place.

Last edited by PainState on %b %04, %2015 - %00:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Lets assume you got that superb supporting cast all with enough skills. Then you buy your thrower, who gets 1 SPP for each pass, thus actually MOVING OUT of his sweet spot. How ironic.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

In real life football players go for fast scores with passes, because it is much more difficult to protect the ball. So either score quickly or lose the ball without scoring. In a league without any tackle zones, or with stunties negating tackle zones, I guess it is more difficult to protect the ball eight turns long, and there should be more passing and two turn scoring...? Is this assumption true, stunty leeg players out there...? Same holds for wood elf vs wood elf I guess... Ball carrier gets sacked every turn, so once you do get a chance to score, you immediately do it.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Stunty Leeg doesn't see a lot of passing, no. Apart from the reasons already covered, the additional -1 to passing for anyone with Stunty skill makes it even less attractive.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

good lord no --- stunties see the ball rarely enough as it is --- why would they throw it away!

Jump to: