38 coaches online • Server time: 13:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Scar006

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a web client available or planned for the future?

I have used the java client in the past, but with the recent development in the web with canvas and webgl, I was wondering if there is an effort to bring Fumbbl and bloodbowl as a web client to life which wouldn't require the standalone java client.

If this isn't the case, would the community be interested to support such a project?
Would the current admins be motivated to start such a project and allow to interact with the current fumbbl system to make both options interoperate?

On the legal site, are there any problems if such a project would be started due to the license of bloodbowl?
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe that there is a plan to do this.

I don't know if Kalimar is actually working a new client at the moment though.

I notice that Kalimar has not played since 2012/11. Maybe once you have spent so long looking at a client you never want to see it again. Wink

Some one else said that they were looking at doing something. I don't remember who it was though.

Basically, you need to talk to Christer.

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Would some kind of Kickstarter be an option to speed things along? Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The interesting part if we would go with web client, we could have a mobile (at least Android and iOS client) with the same code base available.

Currently I am thinking to use pixi.js for the Canvas/WebGL part and Meteor with the DDP protocol to handle data synchronisation. With cordova and phonegap we could wrap it then for deployment on iOS and Android, we did the same for the last web game I developed and it worked much better than anticipated on mobile devices.

My main concern is the legality and the support of the community/current backend.

Coding it is not the part I am worried about, but rather the the integration with the current backend and the willingness of the community to try it out and help me test it.

As it would require quiet some time to develop it, it would be quiet sad if all the effort is waisted because its either problematic from a legal point of view, or because the community isn't interested.

who is Christer I should be talking to?
pubstar

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

What would be the reason to do this? Would a web client work on mobile devices?

Scar006

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

@pubstar, yes thats the aim of cordova/phongap.

As long as the game is not too resource intensive (meaning really nice graphics, high frame rate etc.) a wrapper around a web game would be feasible, certainly the UI would need to be properly adapted, but the games logic would only need to be coded once as well as the server synchronisation(state updates).

The application will look the same and would be available on the app store as usual like a normal application on your mobile device (other big companies do the same like linked in, asana, slack etc.).
stenskott

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

If any coding help is needed, I'd be more than willing to help.
Scar006

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

@stenskott, any help would be appreciated. Currently I am still hesitating between pure javascript with good documentation, or going for typescript to have more type safety.

Which would you prefer? I personally are in favor of more strongly typed languages, and typescript appears to be the most stable implementation of type safe javascript adoptions.

An official response of some of the admins of the site would be appreciated to know if they would be interested in a collaboration and making all interoperable.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer is the only one you need to talk to.
pubstar

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if there was a Fumbbl-backed web client project, I would be happy to pitch up for a Kickstarter/Gofundme/whatever. I think a lot of people would.

I suspect, though, that the resource needed is time and effort from skilled individuals, not cash.

arry

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

On the related note, I remember having seen somewhere on these forums a screenshot of some kind of new client-in-development (or in prototype phase) that looked really cool. But I cannot find it now. Anybody has the link?
Kam

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Scar, it's a nice initiative and all but... You're relatively new to the site (9 games in 11 years) and I've seen too many community projects die after a few months because their leader wasn't motivated enough.

Now of course, there's no fatality, and you could become the next Kalimar, however, I truly believe you should come up with an alpha client (with at least the basic mechanism working, even if the skills ain't coded) before you bother Christer (or eventually start looking for help). A community project won't go anywhere if his leader isn't motivated enough to do everything alone if he doesn't find any help. That's at least what I believe.

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

arry wrote:
On the related note, I remember having seen somewhere on these forums a screenshot of some kind of new client-in-development (or in prototype phase) that looked really cool. But I cannot find it now. Anybody has the link?

this?
looks like some sort of concept drawing
Roland

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

btw, wasn't there a blog post recently about someone that was making a fumbbl app for iOS and android?
can't remember who...
xarogobar

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you talking about this?

https://fumbbl.com/p/blog&c=JMkiller&id=17166
 Jump to: