43 coaches online • Server time: 11:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Roland

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

xarogobar wrote:
Are you talking about this?

https://fumbbl.com/p/blog&c=JMkiller&id=17166

yes! thank you!
Scar006

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Scar, it's a nice initiative and all but... You're relatively new to the site (9 games in 11 years) and I've seen too many community projects die after a few months because their leader wasn't motivated enough.

Now of course, there's no fatality, and you could become the next Kalimar, however, I truly believe you should come up with an alpha client (with at least the basic mechanism working, even if the skills ain't coded) before you bother Christer (or eventually start looking for help). A community project won't go anywhere if his leader isn't motivated enough to do everything alone if he doesn't find any help. That's at least what I believe.

I can fully understand your concern, and additionally its true that I don't play many games, mainly because I actually prefer to implement them than to play them.

Of course I don't expect Christer to invest any time for making it compatible with a imaginative version before there is any playable alpha version which shows off the basic features.

But even developing a preliminary version costs considerable amount of time, and I am worried about the liscence agreement and the potential for the project to be shut down:

https://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1574

I haven't found the official stance to this letter and if anything has changed since then. Is Fumbbl officially accepted?

As soon as I know for sure that the project won't get shut down, I will quietly start developing something during this summer, but first I need at least to know what the legal state is, before I invest too much time getting something up and running, only to have it canceled due to IP infringements.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this could easily be done in a year's time as a full time job.

If everyone active on the site drops $100 (US) that should be a comfortable living for one talented programmer.

Who's in?

(If it's high enough, I'll do it myself)
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2015 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Scar006 wrote:
Kam wrote:
Scar, it's a nice initiative and all but... You're relatively new to the site (9 games in 11 years) and I've seen too many community projects die after a few months because their leader wasn't motivated enough.

Now of course, there's no fatality, and you could become the next Kalimar, however, I truly believe you should come up with an alpha client (with at least the basic mechanism working, even if the skills ain't coded) before you bother Christer (or eventually start looking for help). A community project won't go anywhere if his leader isn't motivated enough to do everything alone if he doesn't find any help. That's at least what I believe.

I can fully understand your concern, and additionally its true that I don't play many games, mainly because I actually prefer to implement them than to play them.

Of course I don't expect Christer to invest any time for making it compatible with a imaginative version before there is any playable alpha version which shows off the basic features.

But even developing a preliminary version costs considerable amount of time, and I am worried about the liscence agreement and the potential for the project to be shut down:

https://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1574

I haven't found the official stance to this letter and if anything has changed since then. Is Fumbbl officially accepted?

As soon as I know for sure that the project won't get shut down, I will quietly start developing something during this summer, but first I need at least to know what the legal state is, before I invest too much time getting something up and running, only to have it canceled due to IP infringements.

I don't think it will matter too much. I suspect that Christer already know what he wants. Kalimar may already have started something.
I believe Christer has already done some work towards moving things to an HTML5/Javascript API.

So really, Christer is your man.

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Scar006 wrote:

I guess that it would be similar to the current java client. i.e. I don't know why they allow it but as long as we don't provoke them they seem to let it be.

Obviously you cannot use the name Blood Bowl or any GW artwork. This is Fantasy Football that we are playing. Wink

I don't know if releasing things via app/play store would upset them more than the current automatic load from the site.

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Stop messing about with Bloodbowl and make Necromunda.
arry

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland, that's it, thanks.
stenskott

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Scar006 wrote:
@stenskott, any help would be appreciated. Currently I am still hesitating between pure javascript with good documentation, or going for typescript to have more type safety.

Which would you prefer? I personally are in favor of more strongly typed languages, and typescript appears to be the most stable implementation of type safe javascript adoptions.

An official response of some of the admins of the site would be appreciated to know if they would be interested in a collaboration and making all interoperable.

Yeah, Typescript looks good from a glance. And since even Google are going to utilize it, in Angular 2, I'd say it has more longevity than other similar projects. Plus I'm used to working with the .NET stack and VS, so I guess TS would feel like familiar territory, for a language I haven't done more than the very basics in.
Angmarred

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Tantibus wrote:
Stop messing about with Bloodbowl and make Necromunda.

Couldn't agree more. A fumbbl style necromnda game, no matter how simplified and abstracted would be the greatest thing in the history of the Internet.
stenskott

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

To those more familiar with Necromunda than I am:

What are the chances that a significant part of a fumbbl web client could be re-used for Necromunda?
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I suspect that any solution that anyone actually makes any money of, would instantly lead to trouble with the IP owners.
Roland

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

stenskott wrote:

What are the chances that a significant part of a fumbbl web client could be re-used for Necromunda?

necromunda is quite different in that it is a skirmish game rather than fixed squares like BB.
MegaBiquette

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Start coding a Warhammer 40K client please.
stenskott

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
stenskott wrote:

necromunda is quite different in that it is a skirmish game rather than fixed squares like BB.

Ah, of course.
Roland

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

stenskott wrote:
Roland wrote:
stenskott wrote:

Ah, of course.

Picture of necromunda fyi
 Jump to: