61 coaches online • Server time: 22:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
m0nty

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

JJ has posted a Vault Work Schedule on the official site, detailing a rolling series of Vault additions. From looking at the timespan involved, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it stop a couple of months short of the October Rules Review, and it also doesn't take a big reach to think that the Rules Review will incorporate the successful rules from the Vault into a new LRB - and possibly a new paper version to go with a beefier box set too.

DivX is all about testing the "official experimental" rules laid down by GW. If and when a Vault division is created there will be no further reason to have DivX, since the Vault replaces its function. Allied teams will disappear, and we will have to wait a couple of months for new "official experimental" Ogre and Vampire rosters - and those will only appear in the Vault division until made official.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if these are the rules the bbrc is planing on implementing that kinda makes our current div-x rule set obsolete. The only real problem i see is that some of that stuff would be really hard to code in the game, buying freebooters in the client, having more than 16 players on your team, etc. It would be nice if we could find out just how seriouse the bbrc is about these rules before anyone went through all the trouble to playtest them.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmond wrote :
Quote:

But wasn't DivX specifically created to test new rules ideas out? If you want tobuild a team up theres plenty of other divisions designed to do this.

No, Div-X was created to play experimental <b>rosters</b> using LRB rules. The teams WERE intended to be long-term. It was only recently, when the experimental teams were either made official or scrapped that the admins decided to use Div-X to test the no-aging rules.

The real question I have is, "Where are the masses of bloodbowl players screaming that the game is broken"? Is there a secret mass society out there that I don't know about who doesn't like to play by the current rules?

Or is this the act of a minority few (who have the power) changing the game on their own, to meet their own desires, at the expense of the majority.

Simplest rule in life, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Simplest rule in life, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Doesn't mean you can't tinker trying to improve. By that standard we would still be playing 1ed bloodbowl.
m0nty

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully, you and others should read JJ's design philosophy document on the official site. It explains his thinking on the Vault. Even if you disagree with some of the individual proposals currently in the Vault, you have to respect his underlying vision. The Vault is an integral part of that vision.
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Or you could GASP! play it on TableTop... on the boardgame you are legally required to have to play on this fine website. You don't have to do it where programming is needed. Grab a board, a friend, the new rules, and play.

Z
Mully

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the link - will start reading.

[edited]

Read the vision. And although I respect his thoughts, I don't agree with the vision, which is why I hate most of these new rules. There is something to be said for building up a team so that it SHOULD be favored against another team.

If I am in a league and have played flawless ball in my 1st 4 games and my TR reflects that, why SHOULDN"T I be rewarded by being favored to beat my next opponent who may have gotten shellacked and has a lower TR.

Why should we create rules that make his team equal to mine? Also, creating rules that would enable a TR100 team to beat a TR150 team makes you wonder why you are building the TR150 team in the 1st place.

Definitely, a difference of game philosophies. I guess we'll see where it ends up.

Last edited by Mully on %b %13, %2004 - %19:%May; edited 1 time in total
Mully

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Doesn't mean you can't tinker trying to improve

I agree with that statement 100%. But does this feel like tinkering or an overhaul?

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

You don't have to do it where programming is needed. Grab a board, a friend, the new rules, and play.

OK A&B, stop on by, I'm in Ohio. I'll have it all set up for ya when you get here and will even offer you a drink and some fritos or pretzels.

[edited again]
The other issue with the Vault rules is it entices you to use Stars and freebooters to play higher rated teams. But if you win and your "rented" players get all the SPPs you are in no better shape for the next game.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Mully
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I might take you up on that offer if you let me crash the night... we'll play 5-6 games, ok? Ohio isn't too far away from GA...

Z
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Short answer: A resounding no.

The only problem with trying the rules out in bits and pieces is that they're all part of a package. Whether or not you agree with the goal, this is still a lot to implement at once and bits and pieces just won't make much sense. Also, a lot of it can't be implemented on FUMBBL but instead has to be implemented in the client (Secret Weapons and Kickoff tables come to mind) - and there's no need to go on and on about how Ski's project plan is to try to implement the LRB fully, rather than any new set of rules that comes along, right?

Post   Posted: May 14, 2004 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin said:
Quote:
Hmm...it'll be a long time before this sees the light of day in FUMBBL - SkiJunkie is still adding stuff for the LRB v3, and this requires far more changes than that, including in-game freebooting and an altered kick-off table.

They haven't finished publishing all the rules in the Vault yet, so I'm with BadMrMojo on this. There's no rush to change things - many of the biggest rules problems have occurred because they were introduced too fast. (Egads, I'm Treebeard...!) Things aren't too badly busted atm, so we'll survive. Sweeteners need lots of work first, but the idea is exciting - we'll give them time to mature. Besides, we're all in the power of SkiJunkie (for online testing), and he has enough to do. Don't forget, we want Dungeonbowl!
If it results in a new division (and realistically, I think it needs one), then so much better for us.

Edit: I read JJ's philosophy, and though I can see the point of making every game even, he has to give ppl an incentive to develop star teams in the first place, while making it an achievement only good, successful coaches attain. The underdogs winning 1 in 3 sounds about right. Don't forget Halflings and Goblins - they were never meant to be winning 50% of their matches, on average.
Mully

Post   Posted: May 14, 2004 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Well, I might take you up on that offer if you let me crash the night... we'll play 5-6 games, ok? Ohio isn't too far away from GA...

Well I have a good friend in Alpharetta so maybe I can crash there? Smile

Make sure you have screens on thw windows in case the dice start flying Smile)

Post   Posted: May 15, 2004 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

We should definitely playtest the Vault rules in some manner. Regardless of bad ideas, there are some good ideas there. I think the manner that makes the most sense is just starting a Vault Division.
 Jump to: