40 coaches online • Server time: 15:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

OK everyone,

We are all talking about the vault and most people are slagging it off.

It is called the playtest vault, so what I want to know is if anyone has actaully playtested it yet!!

Please put your findings in this thread based on ACTUAL games YOU have personally played using the vault rules.

I am set to play mine at the weekend, as I expect some others among you are. So let's talk about what actually happens and not what everyone is predicting.

Post your Team Race, and highlights.
Thanks.
Enygma

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

We tried the ever-predicted 'drop half your team so you can hire a bunch of stars next game' tactic 3 times, and it failed miserable each time... however the 'play a team 150k above yours and freeboot all the stars onto your goblin team then foul every single turn since you have 20 players' worked out quite nicely Twisted Evil

the freebooting of players really made the game less fun, simply because the focus was slightly shifted away from the permanent playes... spending the tr difference as money is good, but it needs to be for renting out cheerleaders/staff/apoths or buying magic items/ cheating equiptment/ massive referee bribing rather than more players... my league is imposing a 1 freebooter limit per team per game and writing up a (rather too large IMO, actually) list of various stuff/off-pitch assistance to buy .
Mully

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

the freebooting of players really made the game less fun, simply because the focus was slightly shifted away from the permanent playes... spending the tr difference as money is good, but it needs to be for renting out cheerleaders/staff/apoths or buying magic items/ cheating equiptment/ massive referee bribing rather than more players

With people getting uptight about pre-game purchases now in FUMBBL, I can ONLY imagine the problems this new system will create.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:

With people getting uptight about pre-game purchases now in FUMBBL, I can ONLY imagine the problems this new system will create.

I see it a bit differantly, i think these rules bring the whole freebooting phase into sharper relief as a part of the pregame sequence. It integrates them better into the whole sequence of play so people can see them for what they are, just another part of the game. I do think that the rules need heavily tweaked though. Maybe one star and one freebooted player max instead of what it is.
Munkey

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:

I think players here need to chill a bit about the freebooter phase. This does create a few implementation problems for the site/tool though doesn't it?
Christer

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 22:19
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:

We are working on a way of handling this problem...
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
We are working on a way of handling this problem...

I truly and sincerely hope that we won't have to fill out a form before playing.
For the hypothetical new Ladder League with a challenge system? Great. For the rest of the leagues? No!!!
Sorry for the thread hijacking.
</off topic>

As far as testing the new vault rules, I think that tabletop is the best way to do it. We all saw how quickly they went from 1.0 to 1.1. Who wants to recode their league managing software once they hit 1.2? And 1.3? And etc... etc...

If you want to try it, great. Just don't nag the admins to do it here, I'm begging you... They'll do it if and when they want to.

Post   Posted: May 15, 2004 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

My league will be testing out the new rules on the tabletop but i'd be interested in trying them here too.

That said i've only managed ywo actual games here so far due to time, so i'm not about to nag anyone. I think the people responsible for this site have done an incredible job already.

I'd love to playtest some of the vault rules here but it will be whatever version is implimented without complaining. I can only imagine the extra work that these rules might create behind the scenes.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: May 15, 2004 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:

If you want to try it, great. Just don't nag the admins to do it here, I'm begging you... They'll do it if and when they want to.

I really don't see how talking about what might ot might not be done or anything else to with the site is "naging" the admins. I have never once heard an admin complain about constructively talking about how the site works and what could possibly be changed or added. If anything they have always seemed to apreciate the input in the past. Besides if they found it anoying they could always tell us to stop themselves or just lock the thread.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 15, 2004 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I came off a little harsh, perhaps. I was simply trying to cut it off before it started in earnest.

Check through past threads if you're really curious as to the sort of thing I'm referring to...

There's a mass of threads out there which came up at various times about a meter long each and if you read one per second it would take you a year... squared.

(whaddya think? Subtle enough?)

Post   Posted: May 15, 2004 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Would it be possible to start a new online league to test these rules, but not use the management side of something like fumbbl?

ie use the client to play the games, but do up rosters and the team management side of things offline. Obviously a level of trust would be required, but I can't see too many people bothering to join in something like that just to cheat. The main problems I could think of would be the inability to have more than 16 players, and the effort required by the participants and the organiser.

Post   Posted: May 15, 2004 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

LOOK HERE GUYS!!

The purpose of this thread was to accumulate data on people's reults and experiences of having playtested the rules. Only the first reply did that. Can we actually get this up and running please.

Right, sorry for the moan, I played my first game under the rules last night. I picked dwarf for their AV and so I could playtest secret weapons in the future. My opponent picked woodies.

The first game does not create much difference. The main changes kick in after the first game, sweeteners etc. BUT, we both had slighty different starting strategies.
Despite being dwarf, I hired an apothecary so that my value would be decreased for the second game, 1FF 3 RR and 11 men. The Woodies had no apo!!, bought a cheerleader and a coach, 2 FF and 2 RR and 11 men.
First Kickoff result was cheering fans so 1 reroll to him for his cheerleader, nice investment.
FF played no part in the game at all, despite his roll doubling mine.
I had poor luck, nowt to do with changes, and lost 3-1.
All I wanted (at 3-0) was a point on someone, so i could MVP em and skill em up. A longbeard got a late cas and a runner scored.
So, I gave the longbeard a skill roll. He got 6&4 (MA) but I ditched it for guard. 40k useless MA or 20k for ultra cool guard, hmmmmm tough!!
He gave a scoring linelf a mvp and took block.
Winnings roll was 6&4, so he got 100,000 and i got 60,000. Bloody good for first game. Yet neither of us spent our money!!
Final Team Values were 1,120k to elf and 1,030k to dwarf. Our next game would give me a sweetener of 90,000. An apo or a secret weapon player and 4 cheerleaders/coaches. Or a troll slayer. Nice choices though.

More results to follow, please do as I have, so we can evaluate the changes better.
Thanks.
Vero

Post   Posted: May 15, 2004 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

chunky04 wrote:
Would it be possible to start a new online league to test these rules, but not use the management side of something like fumbbl?

Of course it's possible, if you're interest in organizing one, pm & count me in. (I can help too in organizing).
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: May 19, 2004 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Having played games under 1.1 and 1.2, 1.1 was quite good, MNGs needed to not be counted, but other than that, fine.

1.2 is a shambles, it's terrible, more holes are opened than closed. Too many loopholes and too much changed. There was nothing wrong with the injury table, it is a damn sight more complicated now.
Vero

Post   Posted: May 19, 2004 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh. We'll see if anything from 1.1 is same with 1.9 Smile It's changing so fast, and it's changing basic rules now. That is a new edition truly.
 Jump to: