54 coaches online • Server time: 00:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What am I to do with it?
Implement all CRP rules and integrate with Fumbbl
46%
 46%  [ 53 ]
Use it as a test bed for new LRB
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Make variants like Rat Ogre Bowl & Deathroller racing
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Add Secret League rosters
15%
 15%  [ 18 ]
Eat a tasty pie
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 113

arry

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi mateys!

All your talk about the new web client has inspired me to try my hand at developing one. My thought process was like, 'BB is not difficult, I can bang something like it in a week'. As a week became three, the project grew to a fun toy, and I am happy to show it to you.

The basic game rules are supported for a rookie Human-Orc matchup. (This means setting up, kick-off, all player actions, skills of all players except Big Guys and a small guy. No weather, kick-off rolls, inducements.) So far you can only play against yourself in a test mode. But it is web-based and works passably on a tablet.

Here's a link: http://cff-arry.rhcloud.com/

Please share your opinion where I might take this project!

Cheers,
Alex
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome work.

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice platform!

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmmm maybe just me....but I couldn't roll for the kick off and I don't know what to do next. If you need a pitch, feel free to use something of mine, or ask me for something.
arry

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Hmmmm maybe just me....but I couldn't roll for the kick off and I don't know what to do next. If you need a pitch, feel free to use something of mine, or ask me for something.

When it says 'Choose position for kick-off', you should click on a square (it goes yellow), then on 'Done' (at the top line). Where does it go wrong?

And thanks for the offer. Likely I'll continue dragging the pictures off of Kalimar's version, so I believe something of yours will be used. (I don't know who has drawn all of those pictures so I cannot credit those people properly.)
Kam

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Same for me. I'm stuck at the beginning of the game. I can't see the "Choose position" dialogue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1krupu2wnroqini/Capture%20du%202015-07-04%2014%3A45%3A43.png?dl=0

Using Opera 30 (Linux). Could it be a browser compatibility issue?

Last edited by Kam on Jul 04, 2015 - 15:58; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

A week? I just love programmer optimism. Mr. Green

OK. So how do you make it work? How do you get started? Set your team up?

Edit: OK. I get it.

Chrome: 43.0.2357.130 m - I cannot see the command bar.

It works for me in IE11.

Some of the actions from my IE game have appeared in my chrome window. But not all of them.

There doesn't seem to be an option to stand up and end turn.

Displaying the block dice along with the option to reroll would be nice.

Nice work. Interesting stuff.

Will we be able set up alternative sources to load teams from and report matches to?
That would be very nice.

Have you taken into account loading different ruleset options?

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, forgot to mention that I used Firefox (on Linux) for testing and didn't even look at it in any other browsers. And since it uses Flexbox for layout, which isn't supported equally in different browsers, the layout is messed up on non-Firefox ones. Surprised it works in IE but not in Chrome of all things. (:

There hasn't been any polish; I just released it once it reached the slightest level of playability. Hence lack of browser support and Stand up option and `Choose block die or reroll' option. (Stand up and end turn can be done currently as a Move action to the same square the player currently is.)

Match results aren't reported or recorded anywhere yet. It can be done somewhere in the distant future (maybe after an ability to actually play vs. someone else). Same thing with ruleset options: hooks are there, so can be done in future. As for teams, I'm thinking of making a page where you can edit rosters and teams, setting stats and pictures and stuff.

I can open-source it and write some docs if anybody's interested in seeing the internals. It's a good point to jump in - just a week of work after all. Very Happy
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. Put the code up for us look at. Wink

How should the team/roster data look like?
I might have a look at doing a roster creation page.
It would be cool to be able to load rosters from Fumbbl and/or OBBLM.

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The client plays very well. Make a stand up-end move action in single click. Make the block results more visible (show the block dice right away, the text at the top was confusing and took time to read every time). Needs sounds Very Happy

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Great start!

You should really try and get in touch with Kalimar and see how far he is on converting over to a web-based client. If we could get a small team together to make a focused effort it would greatly speed the process.

I would be willing to look into an new scalable icon set with variations if this project gets good backing and we can get a core graphics team setup.

Last edited by WhatBall on Jul 04, 2015 - 23:28; edited 1 time in total
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Good start Arry! Please notice that you don't need to implement rules and game model since it is managed by the FFB server. The only thing is missing is a view-like web application which comunicates the server via Websockets. At the core level, everything is already set up for a browser based client so you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Instead you could take part in the development of the web application. I wish you good luck with that!

EDIT: correcions (I was a bit drunk yesterday).

Last edited by SzieberthAdam on Jul 05, 2015 - 08:51; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

If you haven't done so already, please enable keyboard shortcuts. I use them all the time.
Roland

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2015 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

weather normal... then what?
can't play, but it looks promising
ie didn't work at all
firefox and chrome at least started a game...
Grod

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Arry,

I have an additional option for you:

Implement Server side AI so anyone can log on and play against robots. If you think it would be tough to make an AI ... I just happen to have written one! Actually what I have is an interface so that anyone can write their own, plus a single implementation. What you would need to provide then is just a API for which anyone could plug in a bot, then I would rewrite mine to use your API.

Take a look at my project and see if you find it interesting.
https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=Grod

Basically I really wanted to implement this somewhere server based so that statistics etc could be collected and people could spectate. If it becomes centralised and public, other people might be motivated to create their competing AIs.

The dream? BotWars!

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: