55 coaches online • Server time: 19:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Angmarred

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2015 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

If I understand Swiss pairing correctly, in Euro group 1, since Joe and I have already played, he will play the #3 Lizard team and I'll play the Waterbowl Woodies or the Nafty Boys Chaos squad? Will that be random or will those 2 teams be ranked by tiebreaker? And the first tiebreaker is opponents records combined?
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2015 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

No, I think you'll play the Lizards and I'll be playing the NAFty Boys (pending other results).

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2015 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I've already played the lizards.
blocknroll

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2015 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

50% of the team Legends In Their Own Lunchtimes will be playing at the NAF WC 3 in Team Exiles, Lemf, Radster and Blocknroll will join Lunchmoney Tempest and DeeTee. They wont win, and at least one memeber is teetotal, but fun times ahead!
Russo

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2015 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

If anyone is familiar with this sort of thing, it’s Russo. A long time league, stables and anything-else-going stalwart on site, he’ll have seen this all before. Amazons for our man this time, a timely choice following their triumph in the Online Dutch Open. I’ve picked Russo out because his racial choice and team is pretty sensible. When was the last time Russo was sensible?! I need a lie down…

LOL just seen this thread now, a month later Smile

Well I have seen it all before...lots of losing and stupid nooby moves. 2-0-2 tells me that NAF has not elevated my play to new heights hahah!

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2015 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

In any tournament there are coaches that have a bad one for no real reason. That's Blood Bowl.

N00by moves are a real reason, mind. Razz

<3

It's all very exciting. Two days from the final round with so much left to decide...
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2015 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I had intended to look at R6 tonight, alas on my last day before travelling, my laptop has been stolen for last minute, important RL work reasons.

So, no picks from me this week, but I encourage you to have a look at those top fixtures and maybe do some predicting yourselves!

When back, playoff time...
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Oooh, it’s getting exciting! We’re down to the final four in the individual playoffs, the two semi final deciding games in the Team Challenge, and the Stunty Cup is ready to go. So how about some picks, eh?

Individual Playoffs

Four teams remain in the race for that NAF World Cup pitch. We have two sets of Dark Elves facing off against (perhaps) lesser fancied races in interesting encounters.

Image straume A New Howl V darkazes gseize Image Kick off TBC

Our first semi-final pits the Road to the NAF Championship ’15 winner against a member of les Azes, the inaugural NAF World Cup winners. Not bad for quality, huh?

straume made the playoffs by virtue of the racial tier tiebreaker, and the semis with an impressive win over well coached Dark Elves. You’d immediately think he is at a disadvantage against tier one opposition, but that certainly has not hampered him so far! A rock solid Block / Guard FG and Wight base is supplemented by ‘the weapon’ in an MB Wolf and a SH ball carrier. One thing the Necro have that will help them here is speed; and speed kills. As does Claw / MB. So… Killers, then? gseize overcame Woodies in the last round, which is never a mean feat. Yet to be defeated; the darkazes feature the lesser spotted ‘all guns blazing’ roster of all four Blitzers and both Witches. There is a Leader there for a third RR, but potentially crucially, no Apo. With all of the eggs in the personnel basket, gseize ignored the double to Blodge everything, and it’s certainly working so far. All of the Dark Elf resources will be on the pitch for all of the turns, which is frightening if they last. You have to think the Darkies start this match as favourites, but straume obviously knows his onions. Perhaps that can opener will prove the great leveler?

Image Sutherlands Balder's Hammerl V Dark Fantastic PeteW Image Kick off 10th October, 5pm server time

Our only non-European, Sutherlands, overcame the Aussie force of bmilner’s Undead in his quarter final. Sutherlands has a light 12 man, no Apo roster, and will look to play accelerated, surgical Blood Bowl so as to not get ground down. What he has got (can you spot the pattern - perhaps some insight here for next time?) is maximum resources on the field; some MB, a Block Snow Troll and a Dodge Runner. Perhaps crucially in terms of this matchup, he has chosen double Tackle in the form of a Beserker and a Runner. Sutherlands came out of a stacked NA group, so even with the boom or bust Norse, no-one should take him lightly. Especially opponent PeteW, self confessed Frenzy addict. Pete is running DE this time, and saw off Joemanji’s Undead in the first KO round. Pete has gone the same way as gseize, but perhaps crucially spent the double on a Guard Blitzer. That guy can be quite the force. The four Blitzer, no Apo build means that there is no safety net, so both coaches in this fixture probably won’t fancy OT. What we’ll get is mass Frenzy thrust and counter thrust, trap, risk and all players in sideline danger. Tune in and find out who doesn’t get white line fever! Again, Darkies have to be favourites, but nothing easy or one sided this far into the WCWU. 17:00 today, make sure you're there.

Team Challenge

What a pair of semi finals we’re having. Joe le Taxi, the French conglomerate with an English impostor, are warming up for the World Cup nicely. Having qualified in 4th position going into the playoffs, they lead FUMBBL super-group Team Fantastic 3-2 going into the last game. As luck would have it, the final matchup features and all Undead captain off, and with the winner of the captain’s match being the tiebreaker, it all comes down to this!

Image JimmyFantastic Dead Fantastic! V Joe le taxi will never die azzroag Image Kick off TBC

JimmyFantastic led his team to the playoffs with a 12 man, 3 RR roster featuring a very standard, efficient, good looking skill package. It’s all there, Block Mummy, Guard, Tackle, Sure Hands. Blodge Ghouls. A roster so solid you’d bounce off it. azzroag has reached this stage at 4/0/2, and favours the 13 man roster (3 Ghouls). The skills are… Pretty much the same as Jimmy’s. The intrigue here, then, comes with the 12 v 13 man roster question. It’s one that never goes away; do you want resources on the pitch, pace and Ghouls, or do you want an extra security blanket in a 13th man? If a couple of players die on the 13 man roster, do you miss the 4th Ghoul? If they die on the 12 man roster, is being men down more debilitating? Do I ever stop asking rhetorical questions? What am I having for dinner? Ahem.

There is no answer. This game won’t decide who’s right and who’s wrong, but there is a lot riding on it. Including overtime, something on TT we don’t normally see. Will that extra man flourish if we go to a possible 24 turns? I wonder.

The other semi final features terrific North American team NAF or How... against the defending World Cup Champions Team Waterbowl. The Waterbowl lead 3-2, but lost the captain’s match, again making the final game pivotal in deciding our finalist.

Image mubo [Waterbowl] Slice to meat you V NAFtastic Kryten Image Kick off 11th October, 9pm server time

mubo has gone a different way with his Darkies. Here we have the 3 Blitzer / Apo variant, adding that little bit of stability at the cost of maximum potential. Again, the double is used with a super handy Guard, and all of the skills are by the book. The one interesting wrinkle to point out is that both Witches are Blodged up. This gives added protection, but the nuclear Wrestle option is missing. With no Tackle or Wrestle, mubo is playing the positional rather than confrontational game. Kryten is packing 2 Catcher, erm, Lion Warrior, High Elves. These lesser spotted HEs include some interesting skills we’ve not seen so far; a Kicker, a Tackle Blitzer, a Wrestle Catcher. With only 2 Dodge (and 1 Blodge), Kryten lacks built in maneuverability, and probably loses the odd wink of sleep over an early dodge fail. Those three RRs might evaporate pretty quickly. But if the dodges go well, investing the skills in utility picks might prove to be a masterstroke. Afterall, is mubo going to be marking everything with a flat 11 players?

You’d think (for a third time this column) that the Darkies are favourites. However, everyone is well aware of Kryten’s superb qualities. This will be no cakewalk, and the pressure will be high. I’ll be tuned in, fingernails well munched by half time. Impartial. I'm impartial...

Stunty Cup

Image m0gw41 [Waterbowl] Butterfield's Crash Dieters V Weenie Champions NAF mrt1212 Image Kick off TBC

And what of the Stunty Cup, then? Only a fool wrapped in a moron encased in an enigma topped with a buffoon would tell you he knows what is going to happen in a Stunty-off. I am that turbo plonker, since I started a thread doing picks, so here goes!

m0gw41 has got your standard Halflings. Trees, Deeproot for three, chef. Block Tree, Guard, SS, DT. All the gang are here. That’s the standard corner. M0gw41’s Titchy and Stunty Show teammate mrt1212 has gone a bit rogue. 13 Snotlings will take the field, accompanied by Brick Far'th and Grotty, Nobbla Blackwart and two Bribes. I’ve always thought, what Stunty Cups really need is more random. Bravo! Razz

This is the classic standard vs. gimmick showdown. Ogres, let’s face it, are not great. Perhaps a roll of the dice and a bit of random is what they need? I expect Saws, fouls (Bribes and Sneaky Gits) and lots and lots of red smeared all over our lovely pitch (that will be an arse to clean). You would think the Halflings will survive a few scares and eventually take home the cup. You would, because you’re sensible. No-one could ever call me sensible! M0gw41 might well be a bit frightened if one of those Trees goes away, or if that Chainsaw accounts for a couple of Halflings…

A tight one this, I’m going to go with the boom side of boom or bust, and predict Snotling glory. I await being proven very wrong when the Chainsaw slices Nobbla’s face off in turn one. Wink

So. It's exciting, it's huge, it's on. Tune in for all of the big games!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wins and is our first individual finalist!

If you take the above caveat-ed, splintering fence sitting as a pick (and I do only when I can claim victory), 1/1! Wink
PeteW

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
PeteW wins and is our first individual finalist!

If you take the above caveat-ed, splintering fence sitting as a pick (and I do only when I can claim victory), 1/1! Wink

Haha. You can claim victory but watch the replay and see the poor norse cursed by failed 3+ rolls aplenty. The snow was the winner here. The dark elf coach played like a total noob with some disastrous strategic choices!

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

This sounds like any PeteW review. Can you be more specific? Razz

I jest, of course. I watched the end of the game, great fun to spectate. Well done to both!
azzroag

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

For team play off : the captain and undead derby will take place tonight at 20.30 server time
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome! The Team Challenge final will be decided in a big old couple of hours later, then.

I'll make the draw tomorrow! Smile
Kryten

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 20:51
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The hour is upon us. Game up!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Both of these games are gripping and in progress... Join the spectators!
 Jump to: