46 coaches online • Server time: 15:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Raughri

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2015 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I've always imagined Griff to resemble Lawrence Dallaglio, strong, quick (for a big man) and a leaper. But he more resembles NFL wide receiver legend Tim Brown. Makes sense I suppose. Not sure Tim would justify Str 4 though.......
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2015 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I

A bull centaur (which is half bull not horse btw (hence the BULL part). You think most of a horse or bull would weigh 125lb?

Of course it was mostly speculation and I forgot that it's a BULL Centaur Smile Yeah, your right - a Bull Centaur is probably getting close to the Big Guys weight - maybe 350lbs? Smile

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2015 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If you change something's height and keep it proportional, you multiply its weight by the cube of the height multiplier. So if an ogre has the same proportions as a man at 5'10" and 200 lbs, but is 10 feet tall, it will weigh about 1000 pounds. If an orc is 250 lbs, and a BOB is 25% taller, the BOB will weigh 500 lbs.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2015 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Of minor relevance is that the BB universe (certainly the human parts) is roughly analagous to medieval Europe. And the average height for an adult male in the 1600s was 5'5", so a 5'8" player is not huge, but would certainly be considered tall. Not that that corrects all of the figures quoted, but it's worth bearing in mind before comparing human BBers to modern athletes. Knock 3 or 4 inches off what you would expect now, say.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2015 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
JackassRampant wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
How would you be more vulnerable jumping on somebody, than if you had just been knocked over by a 650lb Ogre?
650 lbs? I didn't know they let toddlers play Blood Bowl. I know some Black Orcs over 650 lbs. Razz

Just checked, and I can find reference to them being 600lb. However Ogre Kingdoms has them at 800-1000lb. So yeah, I'm underweight!

Morg was 7'4" and 414lbs (star player card) or 7'11" and 390lbs (handbook) in 2nd ed. LOL!

This explains why we can only have 6 Ogres now - there's a team weight limit Laughing
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2015 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Jamerson wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
I

A bull centaur (which is half bull not horse btw (hence the BULL part). You think most of a horse or bull would weigh 125lb?

Of course it was mostly speculation and I forgot that it's a BULL Centaur Smile Yeah, your right - a Bull Centaur is probably getting close to the Big Guys weight - maybe 350lbs? Smile

Yah half horse Bull Centaurs made me lol.
Bulls rarely weigh less than 1200 lbs... but then they should be more than S4 really hehe.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2015 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Of minor relevance is that the BB universe (certainly the human parts) is roughly analagous to medieval Europe. And the average height for an adult male in the 1600s was 5'5", so a 5'8" player is not huge, but would certainly be considered tall. Not that that corrects all of the figures quoted, but it's worth bearing in mind before comparing human BBers to modern athletes. Knock 3 or 4 inches off what you would expect now, say.

It's not very heroic though.......don't we tend to look at BB players as super beings? I picture them as modern proportioned, but that's me.

I think Lawrence Dallaglio would be a fairly good representation of Griff and apparently in his prime he was around the 245lb mark. I guess we'd have to look at Blood Bowl and it's style. I think Rugby League is the closest in game flow of the 3 big hitting football games. However they have to be fit enough to wear the armour similar to American Football players......though RL players do wear some armour now.

Apparently in 20 years the average weight of the England (RL) team has gone up 2 stone! From 14.5 to 16.5 and when 2 17 stoners hit head on it's the same impact as a 60mph car crash! Flip!!!

I guess we're looking at bigger hits from the big hitting guys in Blood Bowl. But smaller from a human lineman?
VoyagerI

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2015 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:

Do those statistics hold true for the the upper classes of medieval society? I'm not current on the studies, but my understanding was that looking at the medieval population at large needs to consider that peasants generally had inadequate diets if not being outright near-starvation, which could retard their physical development. Modern man isn't necessarily taller by nature; he's simply better fed. A wealthy individual like a nobleman or a bloodbowl star probably has access to more food with more nutritional value that lets the reach their full stature.
Squiglet

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2015 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Thespian wrote:

The idea that Piling On could get you sent off by the ref would also slow the progression of the players SPP to something closer to normal if he occasionally gets sent off for the game.

And of course casualties caused by PO do NOT count for SPP just like casualties by other foulings, now that would slow their development down a bit.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2015 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Medieval is really pre 1300 and a follow on from the dark ages. All this time (from the fall of the Roman Empire is known as the middle ages). There's a renaissance period suit of armour in Windsor Castle (so 1450ish) and it's tiny. The Roman first professional army has quite detailed information on height (so this is late BC early AD). They generally recruited teens at around 165 or over and had a probable average height of 170). Note they actually recruited at 5' 7" but this differs to 5'7" of today (being around 165cm).

The French Guard (aka Napoleon's elites) were another unit with a minimum height admittance, that being of 5'5", so of being of at least 'average height'. However in pictures they tended to make Napoleon small, even though Napoleon was of average height himself!

So yes 5'5" was of average height for a person of a common background but not necessarily living in poverty.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2015 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Interestingly (or not) enough, although the height I quoted is about right for the 16- & 1700s, in the1500s, the average height was around 5'8". And yes, those figures are averaged, so certain levels of society could well have differed. Anyway, I did say it was of minor relevance. I think at this point, we've probably put way more thought into this than the writers of the star's stats did. And that's probably too much.

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2015 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The Old Guard were all over 6' though, which is why they made Boney look short.

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2015 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Squiglet wrote:
Thespian wrote:

The idea that Piling On could get you sent off by the ref would also slow the progression of the players SPP to something closer to normal if he occasionally gets sent off for the game.

And of course casualties caused by PO do NOT count for SPP just like casualties by other foulings, now that would slow their development down a bit.

This would basically delete the skill. PO is generally, at the earliest, a second skill on a positional after Mighty Blow. There would probably be situations where it would be worth risking a developed positional sent off the pitch for a chance at an injury reroll on a star player, but this probably wouldn't be frequent or reliable enough to be worth building a player around as opposed to a low-investment foul mechanic like a Zombie with Dirty Player.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2015 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

VoyagerI wrote:
Squiglet wrote:
Thespian wrote:

This would basically delete the skill. PO is generally, at the earliest, a second skill on a positional after Mighty Blow. There would probably be situations where it would be worth risking a developed positional sent off the pitch for a chance at an injury reroll on a star player, but this probably wouldn't be frequent or reliable enough to be worth building a player around as opposed to a low-investment foul mechanic like a Zombie with Dirty Player.

Now make those piling on players stunned and thusly incapable of throwing a block next turn. It really would be a huge opportunity cost where you're mainly looking to upsell Stuns to KOs+ but I think that makes the choice to piling on more meaningful to the coach who choose.
fidius

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2015 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I think risk of turnover (and self-damage) is sufficient; risk of send-off is overkill. I say PO always requires backing up to the AV roll at +(ST difference). If you fail that roll, roll against your own armour, and turnover.
 Jump to: