43 coaches online • Server time: 16:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Whose turn is it?
Chaos Pact
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
Goblin
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Halfling
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Khemri
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Lizardman
31%
 31%  [ 30 ]
Norse
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
CRaPpy Ogres
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Slann
15%
 15%  [ 15 ]
Undead
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
Underworld
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 96

tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2015 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
Is it a joke? If yes, the it is well executed, and thumbs up. I always chuckle when I imagine ogres picking up the ball 3 times a game with success. (I expect the wizard to pop the ball.)

Ogres can pop the ball easier than most, and pick it up well enough if one of them gets +AG or Sure Hands, or just lets the snots do it if the opposition lacks nearby Tackle, they're just too slow to get away with it afterward and half the team's always out of position for the lack of speed.

Their chief problems are
1: still unreliable blocks at high TV, eats all your RRs.
2: super slow. The whole team is MA 5, you have to push and pushing eats more RRs.
3: bonehead opens holes in your D and steals good blocks, sometimes you just have to RR for the blitz.
4: there are not enough snotlings in the whole world to screen the bonehead gaps, or at least left on the field.
5: those RRs are 70k, on a very RR-heavy team.

Plus, everything is overpriced. But knocking over a ball carrier is one of the things they do just fine.

--

As to the original Q: realistically, there's some great high end Slaad teams around at the moment, could easily win a Major.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2015 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I know what you mean bghandras, it can be laughable sometimes. But good points tussock. I would add that Ogres can win games having only picked up the ball once.

The reason is that on defence it's a viable tactic to crowd the ball and leave it on the ground if it comes loose. You are unlikely to score a defensive TD. Stand Firm helps. Against an effective wizard used on the Ogre offence, you will have pick up the ball again to score of course.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2015 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann could be a dark horse.

All it needs is happygrue(TM) dice!!

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2015 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Despite having played tons of games with Lizards, I may posit that Slann have some pretty good advantadges over them in a metasetting:

1: Playing against a powerfull well led Slann team is something you need considerable amounts of experience for. Lizards can also be pretty unpredictable in some situations, but the "possibility space" they have in a given situation will likely be less then what the Slann have.

2: Slann could, in theory, outbash the Elfs and outelf the Bashers. Lizards can try something like that, but it is more iffy.

3: A Slann team with a Blitzer, a Catcher and the Krox MNGed is in a far better shape then a Lizard team with 2 Saurus out of comission.

4: Some Rookie Slann players are pretty usefull (although not neccessarily the Linemen. A Rookie Catcher is usefull however), rookie Skinks are also usefull, but for far less things.

However, Lizards will likely have more coaches, and among them there are excellent coaches, so imho it is a toss up.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2015 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Lizards have a number of very good coaches who champion their cause. So do Slann, and Khemri. So did Vampires and Humans, not the likeliest candidates but they made it. Khemri already came very close, losing it on penalty shoot-out only. Lizards have a decent shot this LC but in the end probably Nurgz are gonna Nurg. Wink

Undead and Pact could do it but I don't really see the coaches dedicated to it atm. Synn used to do some great stuff with his Undead but I haven't seen him in a long time...
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2015 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Ulrik wrote:
lizards will be unforlorned winning the current Lustrian Challange!!

Looks like Ulrik called this one way out.

Now which race will be the next next-to-unforlorn?

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2015 - 03:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Getting undead unforlorned is my Holy grail or perhaps jousting windmills I can never tell Smile I came close when Strider unforlorned humans losing to him in OT in the quarterfinals. I think the hardest part is just having enough luck to get past the speed teams which is the biggest Achilles heel for undead. Undead as a whole are perhaps the slowest team overall with 3 ma mummies and 4 ma zombies.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: May 02, 2018 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Thread Necro: Where will the next unforlorn come from? Will it? If Zons can do it then Norse surely could in the right hands! i.e not mine.

Post   Posted: May 02, 2018 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Which races remain?

I can't see it being likely for any of the 'bad' teams, not when the average size in recent UI finals was about 2400tv.
In this era of massive teams, it probably makes less races viable..?
Harad

Post   Posted: May 02, 2018 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I think pact, gobs, flings, ogre, khemri, Norse, slann and underworld.

Realistically slann, with someone building a team like this:
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=744258

Although if someone would give me these tomb guardians I’d give khemri a crack:
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=539507
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 02, 2018 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I think any one of pact, slann and khemri all have a strong chance now with PO gone, the lack of spiralling expenses and d3 mvp, and the current scarcity of wizards suits khemri as well.

Previously i would've said Slann simply have trouble growing to the TV where they have all their players developed, and as such would always struggle to compete on that basis, with the additional problem of them taking heavy attrition. That's not the case now.

Khemri and Pact benefit a lot from being able to stack MVP on their low AG guys. Pact arguably get the least gain out of all of the three overall because losing the PO out of CPOMB is huge... but for an av8 team not have to face (c)pomb is good as well.

I'd be looking to target Grotty obviously - unforlorn qualifiers gives you a good shot of actually making the finals. And I would say Slann actually get a good boost here out of playing vs the others.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2018 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the odds to unforlorn from best to worst are currently:
  • Slann
  • Pact
  • Khemri
  • Norse
  • Goblins
  • Flings
  • Ogres

Slann's ability to cause mayhem for the opposing ball carrier is such a helpful tool. The loss of piling on hurts Pact's chances a bit from when this thread was first posted. The ability to target MVPs seems like it should help Khemri. Norse are just too fragile. Goblins run out of steam as their gimmicks get sent off. Flings are entertaining to watch die. Ogres remain frustration personified.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2018 - 04:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Pact and Slann are probably the closest to getting unforlorned.
I'd almost say Slann should be considered unforlorn with what happygrue's been doing with them in NBFL.

As for Pact, I've taken them as far as the Quarterfinals in the GLT, where I lost to the wood elf team that eventually won it all.

Khemri and Norse can both do it, but need to go on an epic run, and have some amazing stat freaks

Ogres, Goblins, and Flings, will probably never win a major.

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
I'd be looking to target Grotty obviously - unforlorn qualifiers gives you a good shot of actually making the finals. And I would say Slann actually get a good boost here out of playing vs the others.
When I made my GLT run, my first qualifier match was Khemri followed by back to back Slann. In the Slann matchups with Pact, it really does matter who has the better dice support.
Kondor

Post   Posted: May 08, 2018 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:

Ogres, Goblins, and Flings, will probably never win a major.

Just because you said that, I predict this to be your next Major winner.

https://www.fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=482068
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: May 08, 2018 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I say KHEMRI are now set up the best they have been since LRB4 days when they got close a few times. But they may not be NEXT unless someone has already started BUILDING THEM to be the type of team that could win a Championship under the NEW RULES.

Removing the fools gold of Piling On that leaves the Tomb Kings out of position and not exerting TZs means the Bigguns will be taking a more useful skills that help pull a team together. After Mighty Blow and Guard of course (because those skills are powerful) being able to load those guys up with Stand Firm and Break Tackle will help greatly in KEEPING or MOVING that Guard and Mighty Blow where it is needed. AND the loss of PO ought to help keep those Mummies around more often from game to game.

The loss of Wizard is HUGE for Khemri and the ability to (more or less) ASSIGN your MVPs to where you want them is also HUGE on a team that struggles to get spps EVERYWHERE on the roster. Being able to build your Skeletons in to more useful pieces with Dirty Player or Block or Wrestle or Kick or whatever skills might help make your team better is 1 lucky CAS and slightly more than a Coin Flip away. Being able to KEEP MVPs OFF of the Skeletons when you DON"T want to get them is also a big deal.

Building up some Studs among your BlitzRa and ThrowRa into the perfect pieces needed to fill in all of the Lead Roles for Blitzing and Balling makes the difference as well. When you inevitably lose 1 in a Tournament you have an outside chance to get them to 2 skills in 3 games with just 1+ lucky in game spp and 3 fortunate MVP roles.

I would say Slann will be the NEXT to Unforlorn though because they are the best/most versatile roster left. The CLPOMB menace is lessened with PO gone and the Elves can't WIZARD and scoop.
The MVP rules mean they can spread the spps out in the desired way. In theory, for me, Slann really benefit from having 1 or 2 skills on everybody and a few STUDS with stats playing a few major roles. Most Rookies are complete players almost instantly meaning replacing most of the team is a breeze.

That goes for Linemen, Blitzers and Catchers... 1 or 2 skills makes any of them a very useful part of the team. And with some stat-ups they can be shining STARS.
The Blitzers don't need Doubles for you to build them however you want. And then you have the KROX... the ANCHOR in the middle... and you can load him up with all the KaPOW you can get with the MVPs.

Plus... the psychological advantage of Slann. Your opponent has to almost play a different game entirely against you rather than just playing straight up Blood Bowl. But you get to keep playing standard good Blood Bowl tactics on your end. You play basic Blood Bowl + Leap.
 Jump to: