30 coaches online • Server time: 09:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Fumbblers,

My little boy is interested in Blood Bowl (since he sees me playing and painting etc all the time. But I think at 4 he might still be too young.

Has anyone here introduced their kid(s) to Bood Bowl? What age did they start? Did they like it? Or quickly lose interest?

Oscar Wilde
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I introduced my oldest at age 7 (ten years ago). We played occasionally.

I taught my youngest last year at the age of 10. They both learned well enough, but it did not hold their attention long in the age of Mine Craft, X-Box 360, PS4, etc.
animefreak2599

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

4 is definitely a little(lot) young
Bazakastine

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't have kids but as someone who got incredibly intersted in turn based games at a young age I would say he is too young.

For me it took until around 2nd or 3rd grade before I could grasp these types of games enough to actually play them. Of course it took longer to actually play well but that is roughly the age I would recommend introducing someone to Blood bowl.

For now I would try to create a simple game to play with him with the miniatures since I am sure that is his real interest. Once he ages a bit transition into "Adult" Blood Bowl.
Kill-Kill

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I started Warhammer at 8, got into BB around 10.

But you made up the reasons to fight
Semitence

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 04:33 Reply with quote Back to top

BB is one of the harder ones I think. Something like Hero Quest might be a better start (I think I started that when I was 6?)
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 04:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I was 15 when I learned to play, but Blood Bowl was still somewhat newish at the time. My Dad would have taught me at 8, though
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 05:20 Reply with quote Back to top

probably 13

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I learned the game at 15, but I've been slowly introducing my son to it since he was 6. He didn't really grasp game play then, but he was young and we had fun. I think that's most important.

He's 9 now and he remembers his players stats (this guy can move 7, right?) and he knows the basics of tackle zones and rolling dice. He isn't formulating odds yet, but he's luckered into some wild plays and also been diced a few times. He still has fun, which (I'll say again) is the most important thing in order to keep his interest. A little rule bending so they can have fun at a young age is a good thing Wink

Age 4 is too young to play the game, but if you don't mind them touching your models you can still play with them.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
I was 15 when I learned to play, but Blood Bowl was still somewhat newish at the time. My Dad would have taught me at 8, though

Wow, no offence but I had you pegged as a late teen, not in your 40s!
sann0638

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Have a load of stuff on this. Mostly on tff, if you head there.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

4 is too short. Think about this: the older he is when picking it up, the shorter the misery and suffering will be.

Also 40 is the new 15, just as 60 is the new 40. Make believe Sony says. I DO apple says.
"Dad i caught you playing farm-o-rama on your smartphone again and you said you would be working!" says your kid.
"Do your homework kid!" you say.

Think im going for a shopping cruise through the streets of berlin on my scooter now, on the way back home im going to hit a half pipe with my shopping bags and all. How crass is this? Ah "quality time" you know...
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Krunch Was an exexcellent introduction for younger players (although 4 maybe too young to play on their own). My grandson is nearly 3 and he watches without touching (Dominion so far, he even groans when I draw green cards Smile ).

Like everything in life it's a judgment call, as every child developes at different rates, every parent has different view on levels of violence etc.

Have fun regardless of what you decide to do!

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

On a child's brain. The ability to learn changes at around 3 and half. Before it's more about absorbing, and at this age they produce more and take in conventional learning, however the attention span is still poor, up to about 6ish. At this stage they start to take in longer and more complex tasks. Even then, not enough for a BB match.

Playing BB at 4 is of course too young. However preparing them for BB at this age isn't. you could teach them about figures/races/positionals. Showing them figures is of course an obvious way to get them interested. If they aren't interested, there's no point.

You could show figures, and teach movement. Then move on to questions. "how far can an elf catcher move?" What happens when you reach 8? Go on roll the dice. Do you want to move again? Really? Are you sure? Ok go for it!!! Ahhh he fell over!!! laugh lesson over.

Next time,repeat. ahh he fell over. So now we need to roll for armour. How much armour does an elf catcher have? You don't know? Then you can teach armour values. All very short less than 5 minute segments. Then drop the BB and move onto something else. It's all good for bonding anyway.

The most important thing is when their enthusiasm starts to wane. Even if you're half way through something. Drop it and move on. So you are in control of what is happening and they're still enthusiastic with the activity for next time.
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2015 - 11:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

just simplify the rules and make it a childs game.

All players have ma 6 no GFI's
All Dodges are sucsesfull so no rolls
All Blocks are 1 d anything with a pow is a pow anything else is a push.
Every player can blitz every turn.
Passes automaticaly suceed as long as they are in the range ruler.
If a player with the ball is blitzed it gets handed to the blitzer
All pickups are automatic
Blocked players are only knocked down and have ma3 when they stand up.

With those rules you should be able to have a fun fast high score game and if hes intrested you can slowly bring more rules in.

The important thing is to get him hands on with the minitures and start making the fluff in his head... then he will love it like we do.

JP