38 coaches online • Server time: 10:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mori-mori-mori

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:

Mori-mori-mori wrote:
2) It would greatly improve usability if right after announcing blitz or block action a ST value of all and every opponent players become displayed over their icons on the field. It also would help a lot if players with guard were marked somehow too.

The client shows you how many dice you get when you hover the player to actually hit him. If you can't work out before you move there for a blitz or remember skills (Guard, DT etc) then that's bad play and on you.

That doesn't help a bit, as you either have to be able to remember all ST of all players on the field (and, taking into account a multitude of teams in fumbbl leagues, it's a big problem for a newcomer), or you have actually try to "touch" every possible blitz target (which is also prone to misclicking, resulting in unplanned blitz) to see how many dices you can get. That's again a circumvention method, not a solution.
And what if you got a packed mixed mob of your and opponent's players? You can see how much dices you can get in blocks ok, but this helps you not. You need to know who have how many ST and who has guard, to select the one you need to remove first, or to know where you should move your supporters. And that's when "mouse over"X9000 gimmicks should start. That's consumes time and your mental "processing power", which should be assigned to the game itself, not to circumventing limitations of its UI. That's my point.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

There is an option to use a basic pitch in the game menu that is just a green rectangle which might make things easier also you can change the player icons to abstract icons, check the in game options.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure it takes that much mental 'processing power' to hover over a mouse and remember a number.

You can mark players, this stays there the whole game. That's enough isn't it?

In terms of remembering player ST stats, if it helps, make a table of the races from the help section and do a reference sheet to have as a pop up.

I do understand where you are coming from but I would much rather have Christer and the other fumbbl legends working on league changes and things.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

2) is ridiculous.

Do you want someone to hold yr hand too? Math is part of the game.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

And with all due respect, you've played ONE game on the client. You have almost zero experience of its usabilty.

You'll be perfectly fine after you played a few more games.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
I'm not sure it takes that much mental 'processing power' to hover over a mouse and remember a number.

Well, for me it is. You not only have to remember that (and also you should take into account that players' models in fummbl are not so very distinguishable, especially for newcomer )) Yes, I understand this is a free offer and I can't complain, but that's just a fact - you need a lot of time to learn how to distinguish all sorts off similarily looking monsters on the pitch, it's was much easier in Cyanide's BB where they are 3D models), you need to build a picture of complete ST distribution in mind (!) before you'll be able to start working with it. For me it's pretty hard to do giving a very limited time for a turn. That's a task I'm usually approaching by sitting back in may chair, with a cup of hot tea and plenty of time. Not under pressure of closing timeout.

Throweck wrote:

You can mark players, this stays there the whole game. That's enough isn't it?

If you need to mark a couple of them, yes. But not when you need to mark all of them, each match. No one in sane mind will keep doing it.

Throweck wrote:

In terms of remembering player ST stats, if it helps, make a table of the races from the help section and do a reference sheet to have as a pop up.

The point is that UI should ease learning process, allowing you to learn only absolutely vital things (like game mechanics itself), and hinting you about all the rest vast amount of possible knowledge. Especially the game where you have to fit in in a very limited time interval each turn. That's the main advantage of using a computer as a game platform. You should be given with all needed data in convenient and descriptive way, so all that you have to do is analyze and take decisions (and games are mostly all about decisions and searching for solutions, not about cramming)
Throweck wrote:

I do understand where you are coming from but I would much rather have Christer and the other fumbbl legends working on league changes and things.

Well, I won't argue that it's probably not so important feature. But it's a feature request forum, so I thought it's won't harm to leave this proposal here.
Mori-mori-mori

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
And with all due respect, you've played ONE game on the client. You have almost zero experience of its usabilty.

I have much more games in my Cyanide's client, and it suffers from the same problem, though it's somewhat lessened there as it's much easier to distinguish different players there (they are just really different, like you won't be able to confuse gobling for hobgoblin, or for snot because they differ, like, in size and in a bunch of clearly visible details; and they don't have so much custom teams in Cyanide, too )) ). So I thought it will be a good feature to propose.
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Mori-mori-mori wrote:
...it's much easier to distinguish different players there (Cyanide)...

Well that's debatable Very Happy
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Mori-mori-mori wrote:
pythrr wrote:

I have much more games in my Cyanide's client, and it suffers from the same problem, though it's somewhat lessened there as it's much easier to distinguish different players there (they are just really different, like you won't be able to confuse gobling for hobgoblin, or for snot because they differ, like, in size and in a bunch of clearly visible details; and they don't have so much custom teams in Cyanide, too )) ). So I thought it will be a good feature to propose.

No one else has the issues you seem to have, and we all have many more games experience with the client. The current fumbbl client is much clearer and easy to 'read' than the appaling abomination that is the Cyanide GUI.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Figure I'll throw this one out there:

Mark all menz!

Every opponet, every player, every match. If you don't you're lible to make mistakes.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

That's pretty much every player on fumbbl being insane then.

My advice would be play some Ranked, League or Box with standard rosters. You have only played 1 stunty match. Give it a chance and I am sure you will find it easier than expected.

We welcome new players. And yes, you have requested it in the right place.
Shakall

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I would have played a bit on Cyanid if it wasn't such a mess. Fumbbl is so simple to play at, just need some more games man. And yes mark players with guard, DT, + str or what ever you need and u should be fine.
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2015 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Shakall wrote:
...just need some more games man...

word
 Jump to: