40 coaches online • Server time: 15:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cdassak

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2015 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Last drawn tournament was in the end of July.
I know, summer time and all that, but still that's many weeks without a draw.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2015 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Good question cdassak. I used to apply a lot but RL has made it difficult at present. I love smacks but they aren't usually saturated with applicants as far as I am aware. I'd like to twist your question slightly or at least add to it.

Why do coaches not apply for them?

If we can trace the symptoms we could address the cause Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2015 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Smacks - offers an opportunity to get a game in ranked without either waiting forever or picking
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2015 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Answered your own question, cdassak.

They need a bit more promotion or other kick up the backside I think. Right now the only communication is Shadow's blog near the draw date. You can see from that a list of tv ranges with a couple of applicants in each class. Then a few extra people put their names in and then you get the not enough applicants PM. That's my experience of it.

I think a lot of people are interested in them and like them as a concept (I feel exactly the same way as DaCoach above) but need a bit more of a helping hand or nudge to remember to sign up.
Starshade

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2015 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I was away from FUMBBL for the past 2 years and I just came back. I always enjoyed BlacBox Brawls and Scheduled Smacks. Will there be an announcement before draws, like before, or do I need to apply every week and hope for the best?
Naru1981

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2015 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I have no excuse really.
This team was created (back in the good old days) when in IRC chat a smack was announced.

http://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=699148

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2015 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

This 2 months stint without a smack kicking is not normal...
I like smacks. Promotion is ok as it is now, in my opinion...a bit more promo could help but i don't think this is the problem here.

We have a wide offer of tournaments and a good demand. NAF tournaments are well established now, so they are taking away some tournament coaches and the small tournies are the ones to take the hit. NAF tournaments are good for this community but they have reshaped the tournament enviroment. And Smacks have to adapt to this new enviroment.

Rotate bands to concentrate demand?
cdassak

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2015 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Last draw was July 15th actually, that's 9 weeks without a draw.
One reason could be that some coaches that used to play in many Smacks are offline for weeks (vaclav and Chainsaw come to mind) and other usual suspects dont play in as many as they used to (e.g. Jeguan and myself).
We need new blood in the circuit

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi coaches,

After announcement of changes in the CRP tournament circuit, some discussion has been going on in the forums about topics like "Too many majors?", "are smacks dying?", is the CRP tournament calendar saturated?", is the pool of coaches playing CRP tournies shrinking?"...

I´ve participated a bit in thoses forums and I've poured some rushed opinions myself. However, after writing some comments in those forums a strange feeling started growing inside me. Something like this was spinning in my head:
"Come on sonrises, you got some nice data on CRP tournament participation since 2011. Pull some data together and then form a proper opinion. What you have just done is to spit out some rushed subjective opinions".

So, let me share with you my findings.

TOURNAMENT PARTICIPATION DURING CRP ERA

NOTE: Numbers express TOP 25 Entries. A TOP 25 entry means a team performance that results in scoring points for the TOP 25 Rankings. TOP 25 entries allow us to roughly work out the number of games played if you multiply the numbers of TOP 25 entries by...well, my educated guess says by 4 or 5.

2011...759 entries including all tournies, major and minor.
2012...792 entries including all tournies, major and minor.
2013...851 entries including all tournies, major and minor.
2014...879 entries including all tournies, major and minor.
2015*...697* entries including all tournies, major and minor.

* As per 20th September 2015. Only finished tournies counted.

Mutiply entries by sth in between 4 or 5 to know the real number of games played.

Another way to look at participation but in my opinion a little bit more biased than TOP 25 entries is using UNIQUE COACHES SCORING POINTS FOR THE TOP 25 RANKINGS.

2011...271 coaches scoring points in majors and minors.
2012...256 coaches scoring points in majors and minors.
2013...282 coaches scoring points in majors and minors.
2014...278 coaches scoring points in majors and minors.
2015*...235* coaches scoring points in majors and minors.

INTERESTING CRONOLOGICAL FACTS:

2011: New client is introduced with CRP ruleset. Some tournaments were affected and were pulled to boxes. For example XFL was put in hold for aprox 4-5 months as there were concerns on the client performance.
2012: BRAWLS start.
2013: TOP25 rankings are issued for the 1st time in October.
2014: SMACKS change TW formula calculation. Team treasury is not counted towards Team TW anymore.
2015: NAF Tournaments start(*). CRP circuit is not in its own anymore. RESURRECTION circuit is a success and these 2 co-exist since Jan 2015.

(*) To avoid misunderstandings, the author is 100% convinced that RESURRECTION circuit is a very good thing for the site.

SMACKS-BRAWLS-RRR PARTICIPATION IN CRP ERA

By numbers of TOP 25 entries
How to read this: Smacks entries-Brawl entries-RRR entries

2011: 155-0-90
2012: 146-93-106
2013: 114-122-95
2014: 158-116-142
2015*: 81-100-108

Mutiply entries by sth in between 4 or 5 to know the real number of games played.

Well, enough for today. I will continue this series but before that I'd like to know what you make out of this numbers and facts. Join the discussion Wink

o/

Last edited by sonrises on Dec 15, 2015 - 19:52; edited 2 times in total
cdassak

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2015 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Very interesting amigo, thanks

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2015 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

As a new player I have never heard of Smacks and do not really know what you are talking about. How do they work? How do you find out about them?

I have really enjoyed this game and want to participate more but the major issue I have found is being based in NA. It seems this site is 90% Euro which is not a problem as I have really enjoyed playing Euro based players and having some great conversations during the game! The problem comes in that when I am off work in the evening and able to play there is very little activity due to the time zone differences. This is especially bad with tournaments/leagues. I have joined a couple leagues but getting games is very difficult.

Are there NA timezone based leagues and tournaments out there and I just dont know about them? Any help would be great, I want to get more games but it has been very difficult to do so.
cdassak

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2015 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

(scheduled) Smacks are 8 team tourneys, divided into 4 TW classes, for more details:
https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=4945

All FUMBBL tourneys can be found here:
https://fumbbl.com/help:Official+FUMBBL+Tournaments

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2015 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

There are lots of na leagues.

Nwfl
Ncbb
Nbfl

Just to name a few
OTS

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2015 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess a better question about smacks is what is the best way to advertise to new coaches?
licker

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2015 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

OTS wrote:
There are lots of na leagues.

Nwfl
Ncbb
Nbfl

Just to name a few

NCBB is your best bet too, the others cater to higher TV teams, and are full at the moment, but getting on a wait list is appropriate.

NCBB you can pretty much jump right in, however, it is a themed league where your players must retire after 4 (sometimes 5) seasons. Seasons are around 10 games, though 8 is more likely, so this still gets you 30-40 games per player, but the team can persist, just that you have to keep on bringing in freshmen.

NA evenings/nights are pretty dead for R or B sadly, but if enough new coaches come over from BB2 then things will pick up, especially for newer teams/coaches.
 Jump to: