45 coaches online • Server time: 20:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

What do you expect when you try and muscle in on my territory Special? Razz

DLE College 7s
SkavenLordVinshqueek

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think part of the problem is the way in which divisions are set up each season.

If instead of random allocation, the teams progress or relegate to divisions depending on their games during a season, it gives new teams the chance to face up against new or relatively new teams, instead of seven-season veteran teams.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

That does not work in the slightest with a playoff model. What do you do? Top 4 in top division, then it really is the same half dozen teams every season going for the overall title.

DLE College 7s
Kharon

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

But what if the division winners from each division still get to the playoffs, just like in the current system?

Structurally nothing would change, only instead of the pre season draw, some teams would move between divisions (say top two up and bottom two down?).

If we were going to use this format, there are couple of questions: how to deal out the divisions now, as we've been playing for several seasons (options: TV, marathon table rankings?), and what to do with new teams (straight to the bottom division, or do they inherit the division where the predecessor played?).

Just food for the thought: if all coaches would continue to season 8 with the same teams, and we'd take the season 7 divisions as a starting grid, divisions would be like this:

Sea of Claws (div1):
Wood Elf
Chaos Dwarf
Human
Halfling
Dwarf (rises)
Khemri (rises)

Sea of Chaos (div2):
Goblin (drops from 1)
Elven Union (drops from 1)
Chaos Renegades
Dark Elf
Orc (rises from 3)
Lizardman (rises from 3)

Kraken Sea (div3):
Skaven (drops from 2)
Chaos Chosen (drops from 2)
Norse
Nurgle
Undead (rises from 4)
High Elf (rises from 4)

Frozen Sea (div4):
Amazon (drops from 3)
Slann (drops from 3)
Underworld
Necromantic
Vampire
Ogre

My guess is that this system would decrease the diversity in the divisions and possible match-ups, but might offer new possibilities to some teams to get to the playoffs. Can't really say which system would be better for the league.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

That has no real competitive integrity and basically just makes the division 1 winner the real league champion regardless of the end result in any final because of strength of schedule.

DLE College 7s
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Secondly using the division a team was in last season ordering top to bottom is no basis for a ranked division system.

DLE College 7s
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

At the end of the day every team will become more and more crippled. Some already are like invaders and mermaids to an extent. Others have escaped fairly lightly like microdorfs and myself. Injuries will catch up with me eventually, it's envitable. What will those teams look like in another 7 season. That will be a lot of injury bloat. And if the teams are not in the league by then well they have been redrafted so not a problem anyway.

If giving people a leg up is the thing maybe builder games is a better way forward for new teams. Or if we have an admin willing the addition of a certain number of skills to a fresh roster. Like either a number of normals and doubles or a certain amount of TV to do what a coach wants with.

At the same time I am always willing to advise people with my experiance in the league. Not the best coach ever but what it's worth I seem to navigate the NSL from a cheap lino or more bashy team perspective ok

DLE College 7s
Kharon

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
Secondly using the division a team was in last season ordering top to bottom is no basis for a ranked division system.

I know that, and I'm not​ even proposing that we (read: Balle) change the system now in use. I'm just playing with the idea while waiting for the next season. Very Happy

I like that the divisions are mixed up every season, and that there's no ranking or ladder system, so that all teams have atleast a theoretical chance for the championship.
SpecialOne

Post   Posted: May 14, 2017 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I also had a blast taking RR from people, and other stuff, and I did win a game. Don't take this as I'm leaving. I just got here! Smile

But the walk up to a team in any state of fighting is long, and new coaches (like me) must be aware of this. The 3 nominees for MVP help in that regard.
Danish_Dan

Post   Posted: May 15, 2017 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Try coaching flings next time Steen Smile No fling coach has ever won a division, let alone the league. Challenge accepted though!
tussock

Post   Posted: May 15, 2017 - 06:04 Reply with quote Back to top

What's this? Flings not winning?

Tanuki Terrors, Halfling, Season 1, division winners.
SSL Fling Police, Halfling, rookies in Season 6, division winners.

--

Anyway, the biggest part of survivalists is taking what Nuffle gives you and having fun with it as you are able, that includes random draws where it's appreciated all 'round if you can injure some players if not actually win. Rookie Orcs added 3 perms to my big SSL Vamps this season and I celebrate that (dear NSL Vamp coach, they get awesome, after like 5 seasons, throw some passes and skill some Vamps, protect them with thralls, don't sweat the scores until you have blodgepros, and a +ma hitter!).

The purpose of our finals then is not so much to find a winner (though of course, winning is also fun), but to get the best teams hitting each other for a few games before sending them back to the rest. The finals have overtime and can get pretty mean with the fouling boosts.

--

There has been ideas for other inter-season games, but they are a real problem in terms of time commitment and asking a lot of new coaches.

We'd like to do some custom star players to add a few more weapons and good foulers, up the damage output of smaller teams in SSL and NSL without protecting them, but we need to be able to import the teams into a custom league for that, and that's not possible yet (without a huge amount of work continuing for a very long time afterward, at least).

Post   Posted: May 15, 2017 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

No WAY! Seriously? They won?

Waaaaiiit a minute.... That's in the SSL, no? So the NSL Lite? Softball league of the survivalists? The B-Squad, pee wee football, Aussie Rules Razz

I do get your point, and I like the challenge, especially as it's a good league for TV management halflings, and kicking the shit out of Chaos, or prissy elves is always fun.

But some additional star players, or some more cool cards could make things swing a little more in the smaller teams favour, perhaps leading to some new division winners? Although the bigger bloated teams might suffer, so I'm not sure it's a good idea...
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: May 16, 2017 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Should probably do some analysis on bloat for the big 6 teams. Mine is probably not that much but I imagine the Mermaids would be over 200tv for example.

Maybe If I get time later.

DLE College 7s
LemonheadWallenstein

Post   Posted: May 16, 2017 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

taking into account the +stat that we wouldn't really have taken otherwise?
(thinking of my +ag warrior for instance)
m0gw41

Post   Posted: May 16, 2017 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Danish_Dan wrote:
Waaaaiiit a minute.... That's in the SSL, no? So the NSL Lite? Softball league of the survivalists? The B-Squad, pee wee football, Aussie Rules Razz

4 casualty cups for the SSL to the NSL's measly 2 seems to suggest otherwise...