35 coaches online • Server time: 14:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
buuface

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry this has been drilled to death i think.

But it definitely seems that as soon as my teams go over 1700, the variety of rosters i can face in BB plummets to about 3 different teams.

I wish something could be done about this because clearly the temptation is simply to min-max and keep within a tv certain bracket, or else try to culture some kind of sadomasachist enjoyment from facing wave upon wave of nothing but chorfs, nurgle and chaos teams with my norse and humans.
Roland

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Just restart your team after 10-15 games or so
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

S & M FTW!

Drill it some more.

Last edited by koadah on %b %10, %2015 - %13:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, this problem is older than time itself.

You can check the 3 sticky threads in this part of the forum, or this 73 page behemoth. It covers most of the points up until half a year ago.

However, its my personal impression there's more variety in the box than before. Still, we could do with even more of course.

There's a couple of problems causing the situation you are describing:
- the scheduler is designed to pair sub-30 teams more often. so there is an incentive to stay below 30 games, as the TV gap is on average more marginal.
- there's been an influx of coaches with a NAF-tourney background, who are used to play res tourneys around 1100-1200 TV. they have an incentive to stay at low TV with "tier 1" races, because this is what they know best.
- because of the above reasons, and the feeling of wanting to have revenge on the big dorfs, nurgle and chaos teams, there are incentives for coaches to "also" build high TV killers "to get one back" at the other killers. doing so they just add to the problem they're original fed up with.

On the flip side, coaches who do their best to stack the decks with exploitive meta gaming, have these days found an even easier way of being scheduled with pre-won games over in BB2, so I think that actually has a positive effect on blackbox right now.

The thing you can do yourself as a coach is simple: Contribute to the diversity yourself.

Someone playing 200+ elves (e.g. mrt1212, pizzamogul, tmoila), 200+ Vamps (e.g. azyx, kingvan), and the ARR and HLP, are actually the people who help make high TV box a different environment.

Personally I've kept a human box team at 200+ TW for over 55 games now, and I like to think that I've contributed just a little myself.

More importantly though, is a box where you can keep an av8 team above 200 that long really that bad?

Like I said, I think Blackbox is better than it used to be.

All that being said, Christer is considering a change which makes it more likely that over-saturated races gets paired in the scheduler.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know how often there are enough teams in the draw for that tweak to make a difference.

Humans kicking it right now though Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
I don't know how often there are enough teams in the draw for that tweak to make a difference.

It just needs to affect one game, and it's made box a slightly more diverse place. This can only help imo.

PS: do you even do posts that aren't advertisement anymore? Wink

koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
koadah wrote:

It just needs to affect one game, and it's made box a slightly more diverse place. This can only help imo.

I meant the tweak that is being considered.

Balle2000 wrote:

PS: do you even do posts that aren't advertisement anymore? Wink

On sites where I don't run leagues at least. Wink

Though I might happen to 'mention' Fumbbl every now and again.

On Fumbbl the sig makes every post an advertisement. Wink

I don't really plug Sprints very much. Now you mention it maybe I should. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:

No need to restart your team, just fire the unnecessary players and keep your TV lower than 1500.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Roland wrote:

No need to restart your team, just fire the unnecessary players and keep your TV lower than 1500.

Then they'll call you a filthy min/maxer Mr. Green

You'll still draw the 2000TV CPOMBer from time to time.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Balle2000 wrote:
koadah wrote:

I meant the tweak that is being considered.

I know Smile

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not minmax, because 1500 is mid TV, the highest TV where you can play with reasonable variety and amount of skills without gaining an unfair advantage like some CDs and Chaos Pact teams of the old scheduler (don't want to name & shame).
I play in the Box and by activating multiple teams at different TVs I don't draw 2000 TV CPOMB.
If you play only one team with many matches played then yes, the scheduler could pair you with a TV 2000 CPOMB team sometimes.
I'd rather to play at higher TV but CPOMB doesn't make this possible.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
It's not minmax, because 1500 is mid TV, the highest TV where you can play with reasonable variety and amount of skills without gaining an unfair advantage like some CDs and Chaos Pact teams of the old scheduler (don't want to name & shame).
I play in the Box and by activating multiple teams at different TVs I don't draw 2000 TV CPOMB.
If you play only one team with many matches played then yes, the scheduler could pair you with a TV 2000 CPOMB team sometimes.

Whether you cut down deliberately or not it is still unlikely to be your best players that get cut. The grunts will die because the get the nasty jobs while your +ST/+AG/doubles players get protected. It won't be the worst case but you will still probably be stronger than a new team on the way up.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

This is not entirely correct. There are several non-cpoomb teams which stay above 200 TV for a lengthy period of time. Why don't you come join us? Smile

DonnyRainboe

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

However, its my personal impression there's more variety in the box than before. Still, we could do with even more of course.

I also believe this to be true.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

This is not entirely correct. There are several non-cpoomb teams which stay above 200 TV for a lengthy period of time. Why don't you come join us? Smile

Because the chance of playing vs clawpomb teams is way higher than the chance of playing vs non-clawpomb teams.
 Jump to: