47 coaches online • Server time: 16:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
buuface

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I find this roster very interesting, and wonder whether fumbblers think it could be built to be competitive.

How would you build a four nations team to make it most effective? What other skills would synergise with the starting ones and what tactics would you employ to make best use of them?

https://fumbbl.com/help:FournT
Uedder

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you need lots of skills to help you on defence... something to pop the ball up, that's when dump-off nos really comes into effect.

On offence, if you need to dump-off it usually means you made a big mistake. Or you're playing vs some leapers.

Also ag3 no pass and just 3 catch guys means you're going to miss quite a lot of dump-offs...

Anyway it could be fun, but with no core skills whatsoever and average stats, i think it would be fun, but i don't know how they could be made into a competitive team. Surely some better coach would turn them into a powerhouse.
SirIndigo

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 04:49 Reply with quote Back to top

taking wrestle first skill on a lot of them makes sense to me
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 05:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really, too expensive. I'm really enjoying this icon set though, I've done them in Albion Wanderer's colours and they look nice on the pitch.
buuface

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

What about safe throw would that synergise well?

Wrestle and Strip Ball definitely could be nice

I can imagine that will clever positioning dump off and nos would be a real pain for the opposition on the offense. Moving multiple players up into scoring distance in a loose screen and then baiting the defenders into blitzing the carrier. I think I've probably seen this done by DE (AG4 makes it more reliable) but a lot of DE players don't bother with the runners at all.

I wonder if any of the admins doing the testing for these teams (Garion?) could share some insights about how this team works in the field..
tussock

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 06:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Nerves of Steel everywhere is the team feature to exploit. You pass out of TZs as you become part of the defence for the receiver, you handoff and pass into TZs of people tied up and still have a chance with dump off if you turn over on the attempt to free them up later.

The main skill would be in creatively freeing the guy with the ball, against teams who out-bash you quite comfortably. Guard seems critical, and Grab with it to put your opponents on the wrong side of your DT/Fend forwards, and simply cancel out those annoying side-step screens between you and the line.

The biggest problem will always be retrieving the ball off the ground. Because with HMP and dump-off in play, not to mention the no-block, no-dodge team, you're going to put the ball on the ground quite a lot. Sure Hands for quite a few players, not just the Halves.

On defence you just have to play the positional game well. Slow them down, draw them into contact at your advantage, and make them press the cage up into trouble. Again, Guard is critical. You'll also want a wrestle-tackle or stripper to hit the ball if you get a chance, which you usually will, once.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 07:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=770042 ive been building up a similar team a couple of times and so far my experience is ag3 sucks for passing even with nos. It does lead to a very strange play style where u dont cage ur ball carrier u try to get him blitzed so he can dump off to the player u want to have the ball for the next turn.

it also leads to alot of contact and no skills or st to deal with it you also dont have the ag to get away.

to make the team competative they need some st4, or 2 heads, or some ag4 all of which could be covered in fluff.

jp

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 07:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Why don't you try it in league and give them all those 2 skills to start? You're allowed to do that.
buuface

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Very interesting Jarvis. But with both those base skills your Marauders are 90K and only equivalent in stats to the Four Nations linemen. Your team would be much more effective at the same TV if using the real roster.

Mutations does sound like fun though.

It's definitely saying something that some of your guys are on their forth or fifth reincarnation after only 15 games total Laughing
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2015 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Naas Botha better not be getting dump off, the idea of him doing anything but kick kick kick is anathema! Wink