13 coaches online • Server time: 05:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2015 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Best way to fix Stuntee?

Allow Stuntee Leegs
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's my personal viewpoint on leagues within Stunty.

When I was running Stunty, my goal was to have Stunty be on the same level as Ranked & Blackbox, in regards to recognition. This division has had a long-standing stigma on it that it is an inferior league, and doesn't deserve the same level of reverence that the "big leagues" do. I don't agree with that.

When I stepped down as admin, and Whatball took over, he had the same viewpoint.

Neither of us believe this is an inferior league. We don't believe that this division should be a second-tier division to Ranked & Blackbox, and in doing so, we have held it to some of the same standards that the other leagues are held to.

Administratively, this means that we ensure the major tournaments are held to the same scrutiny as the other majors, and that coaches are held to the same standard of rules that others are.

Leagues fall into that same purview. From my time as Stunty admin, inter-play leagues were not allowed, because it allowed coaches the opportunity to groom teams for majors. This in effect meant that majors didn't have the same prestige as Ranked and Blackbox majors, because from an outsider's point of view, "how can they be legitimate when any groomed teams can play on the same field as anyone else?"

I'll let Whatball speak for his own opinion on the matter, but for my personal opinion, leagues are not the way to go. Ranked/Blackbox do not get their own private leagues, those are required to be in the League division. I don't think Stunty should allow them either, for the same reasons.

That being said, point-based leagues, like ELF or EMU, are a totally different monster. These are not private play leagues, and are meta-leagues based off of non-scheduled performance. These are entirely allowed within the other major divisions, and I don't see any problem with them at all. In fact, one of our major tournaments is based around that same meta-league mentality.

--j

ps...on a strictly semantics level, Stunty is not broken...it doesn't need "fixing"...perhaps the community should start using the phrase "improve", as in the thread title...

ImageImage
Shinomune

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Btw, which is the calendar for next Stunty majors?

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

i agree with shadow on almost everything. i think the recognition for the division will only come from the players tough. the more player plays stunty the bigger the buzz will be around it. until we only have a handful of regular players nothing will change. big tourneys wont solve the issue, they are fun, but most players will only play 2-3 games during every tournament.
i still think if we had minor scheduled tourneys it could help.
adding new races? i dont think it is a major issue. i dont think most stunty coaches played more than half of the available races. so i dont see the point.
play and promote stunty.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalamona wrote:

This, and an [SL] division would be the two best solutions. A League that allows for houserules, common lore themes, and scheduling would definitely increase stunty play.
luxyluxo

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

depower the Mechavermin as once they have block and tackle , then CPOMB pales in comparison and with AV 10 they are almost indestructible !
Khor_Varik

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
Kalamona wrote:

This, and an [SL] division would be the two best solutions. A League that allows for houserules, common lore themes, and scheduling would definitely increase stunty play.

The same.
Angmarred

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Or just allow stunty teams in L.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

luxyluxo wrote:
depower the Mechavermin as once they have block and tackle , then CPOMB pales in comparison and with AV 10 they are almost indestructible !

I see this as a personal mission, you aren't alone. I'd go as far as grand fathering the roster (there's not much there if you take the mecha away, which is a bit odd) and replacing it with Moulder.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
Kalamona wrote:

Another division isn't going to happen. Particularly one that will dilute a division that already doesn't get enough play. Most definitely not an option.

Adding Stunty to League, everybody wants. However we're going though the same issues here again and again. This would be an inferior product. What's the point in doing this when Christer is working on full customization? Absolutely none, and not what the Staff involved want to do; spend time to give a product that has problems. Completely not in the nature of FUMBBL.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2015 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I see this as a personal mission, you aren't alone. I'd go as far as grand fathering the roster (there's not much there if you take the mecha away, which is a bit odd) and replacing it with Moulder.

Ah, now here's a suggestion I can get behind. Not so much just because of blackle MB (although having that combo on THREE AV10 players is insane), but because Slaves are a horribly un-fun roster.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2015 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Well there is a synergy to the Stunty Tournaments right now. I didn't like it at first, but 2 years down the line, I've come to think the line up is pretty clever. I think Shadow was the brains behind the calendar.

Yes he is. The only thing I added was the name for the Fighting Cockerel Cup, to fit the fluff of Stunty originating in the Moot. The format for the FCC and all the other awesomeness is Shadow.

I think Shadow answered everything on tournies and leagues well, I have nothing really to add.

I agree Mechas/Slaves need to be addressed someway as well.

Sorry for not being around as much, I have much more limited access to the site than previously.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2015 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Stunty Leeg is a wonderful, innovative sales point for FUMBBL that is adminned excellently. When I have shown non-FUMBBLers the Stunty handbook, it's gone down a storm and helped me move people to try the site (seriously, it's a fantastic document - non FUMBBL people love it). I think feedback as to how we can maximise the Leeg is never a bad thing, even if we don't agree with it in the forum.

I don't play Stunty enough - I keep really loving the Exploding Cup when it happens and then losing the thread. I can't seem to move from the EC into enjoying the Leeg as a regular coach. Maybe that's me, maybe that's something we can look at; retaining EC coaches that joined with a rookie team and then drift away? Don't know.

Mainly, I'm amazed and impressed with Jimmy's marketing in his sig. Wow.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2015 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
Ranked/Blackbox do not get their own private leagues, those are required to be in the League division. I don't think Stunty should allow them either, for the same reasons.

Simple solution for folks that want private stunty leegs is to go back to the old system & allow them within the [L] division. I personally would love to run a pro halflings private league, but this will also likely be solved when custom [L] goes live so be patient folks.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2015 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

As I've said before, & Kalamona has said earlier, a minor would help a lot. I love Stunty, and used to play a lot, but nowadays I really only play Leagues, tourneys, and the HLP. Random one-off games just don't appeal. So I don't play anywhere near as much in S as I'd like to.

So... while we're all here, who has an idea for a minor with a format which isn't just a copy of the brawls, smacks, RRRs, XFLs, etc? Something new and different, which could be ran regularly, once a month maybe? That would get me playing more again. Maybe m0gw41 and crook666's ideas about grouping teams could be a starting point?